Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pike minnow smolts

Another reason to not promote the killing of pikeminnows, despite them being a nuisance at times. I've seen hundreds of posts across various social media sites of people also mistakenly killing sac splittails, wild golden shiners, native hitch, hardheads and any other small silvery fish over the fact that someone told them that it's a pikeminnow. The sharing of information about the Oregonian pikeminnow bounty programs also promote a stigma that has permeated into Californian fishing culture. Can't count how many people I've ran into on the water that tell me they kick every pikeminnow up in the bushes. Back when I was 14, I watched a guy who was targeting sturgeon basically crucify two pikeminnows on a tree. People killing stuff for the sake of killing stuff. Even saw a post last year about someone throwing a steelhead smolt into the bushes because someone told them that it was "an invasive pikeminnow". There was a video on youtube of some pretty respectable local anglers that were trying to figure out what a sacramento blackfish was, then decided it was a pikeminnow with odd coloration, so they killed it. Wouldn't be a bad idea for us anglers that actually care about our resources AS A WHOLE, not just the species we personally care most about, but all species, to try to spread some awareness about how these fish are actually playing a role in nature, whether we like them or not. At the end of the day, most species that are imbalanced in nature are imbalanced due to our interventions.

I dislike pikeminnows as much as the next guy, just sick of seeing people kill stuff for the sake of killing stuff.
    Last edited by dsa2780; 05-25-2019 at 12:57 PM.

2. Likes BigUnInDaBoat, TBSP, bigfin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigUnInDaBoat View Post
    iamnotsureabouttheinfoyouareaskingaboutitwasreally toughtotrytodecipheryourrunonsentenceduetolackofpu ncuationbuttheyareanativefishinourareasoobviouslyt heyfillaniche.
    Subtle sarcasm is rarely understood and rarely is sarcasm subtle.

4. Likes BigUnInDaBoat liked this post
    SET THE HOOK!!!!!!!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by owlman2 View Post
    i can imagine...just by how much it has changed since i was a kid. Back then the salmon run in the american was 50x what it is now. And things were already screwed up back then....
    so true!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RideNfish View Post
    Before we started messing things up the rivers had huge populations of steelhead, salmon, pike, etc. The ecosystem is way more complicated that what fish eats what fish. A healthy ecosystem (which may never happen again) is better for all fish and offsets what eats what. I don't think you can imagine how many fish migrated up the rivers before we altered them.
    Just my .02
    Cheers,
    I can imagine...just by how much it has changed since I was a kid. Back then the salmon run in the American was 50X what it is now. And things were already screwed up back then....

7. Likes Paintguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigUnInDaBoat View Post
    iamnotsureabouttheinfoyouareaskingaboutitwasreally toughtotrytodecipheryourrunonsentenceduetolackofpu ncuationbuttheyareanativefishinourareasoobviouslyt heyfillaniche.
    so I guess you Failed English as well????

A Life spent fishing, is never wasted.

9. Likes BigUnInDaBoat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There is definitely a balance to things. We all have our opinions based on what we've seen, read and think. Most opinions (mine as much as anyone's) are formed on very incomplete information. What seems obvious, is seldom the whole story. More information is always a good thing, even if it goes against what you might have previously thought.

Good information to share and food for thought.

Post Thanks / Like

Before we started messing things up the rivers had huge populations of steelhead, salmon, pike, etc. The ecosystem is way more complicated that what fish eats what fish. A healthy ecosystem (which may never happen again) is better for all fish and offsets what eats what. I don't think you can imagine how many fish migrated up the rivers before we altered them.
    Just my .02
    Cheers,

12. Likes wckid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

14. Likes RideNfish liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Pike minnow smolts

so I was reading an article about the importance of Pike minnow in a river system due to the fact that the lay a lot of eggs and that Steelhead trout eat the eggs as well as the Smolts as do the steelhead do on steelhead trout eggs and smoltz so pretty much they eat each others young which make the River system a healthy Fishery!
    there are some other river systems in other states that have white fish and the rivers that have white fish have better fisheries for trout as is for the same reason the Importance of the Pike minnows that as in the Article.

any feedback on this info??

A Life spent fishing, is never wasted.