Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Got the skunk in just 2nd trip. Sac River above Crawdads

Quote Originally Posted by SteelyMan View Post
    Nice,,,, so tell us about the new Hewes .
    Boat is amazing! 2019 Hewescraft 18 Pro-V ET. 115 Honda pushing it. I was surprised how nice the ride is for being in inland boat. He’s had for about 6 weeks and has it set up pretty well.
    Its absolutely amazing compared to general recreation boats.
    Lots of room to move around. It was great to have three across the back when fish was hooked up. One on the fish, others bringing in lines and getting the net, wife driving.7F075666-FAB5-48A0-990C-0A35C7867B58.jpg41EF0510-69DD-40BF-949C-43E581CC0EFC.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrmike130s View Post
    9/21/19 On the water with both sons and daughter in-law. Older son and daughter in-law have a new Hewescraft.
    Went on the hunt for salmon. Trolled Rio Vista. Lots of boats.
    We came home with two 10lbs females. Lost one at the boat. Two others on the line, but unhooked themselves.
    All on Silvertrons. I did have cut plugs of a couple different colors, no hits on those.
    Then off to Collinsville for some Stripers.

Great day on the water. Talked to other boats that had fish in the box.
    Nice,,,, so tell us about the new Hewes .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrmike130s View Post
    9/21/19 On the water with both sons and daughter in-law. Older son and daughter in-law have a new Hewescraft.
    We came home with two 10lbs females. Lost one at the boat. Two others on the line, but unhooked themselves.
    All on Silvertrons. I did have cut plugs of a couple different colors, no hits on those.

Congrats,

Chromers no doubt coming from that area?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LONO100 View Post
    Nice fish! I went out for my first river outing and got skunked. Trolled spinners of various colors and marked some fish on the sac, but only two short strokes for all my effort. Going to try again in a week or so. Btw, those pies from apple hill are worth the drive!
    Good luck in the next outing. I think it's only going to be getting better these next few weeks.
    My wife, as usual, was right. Friday was a low key, relaxed day up there. Even if it messes with my salmon time. Very little in the way of crowds.
    Conversely it will not be getting better the next couple weeks at Apple Hill. At least weekends; sharing some apple pie with thousands of your best friends. Well I guess for the vendors it will be great. Their high season kind of coincides with the peak weeks of the salmon run .

Post Thanks / Like

6. Likes SteelyMan, bajakarr, RideNfish liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice fish! I went out for my first river outing and got skunked. Trolled spinners of various colors and marked some fish on the sac, but only two short strokes for all my effort. Going to try again in a week or so. Btw, those pies from apple hill are worth the drive!

8. Likes bajakarr, RideNfish liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hookem2004 View Post
    Nice fish. Those salmon seem to always be a "bleeder" though. Doesn't matter if you catch them in the ocean or river, blood everywhere.

What kind of boat is that you running? I'm always interested in boats and what people use.
    Unfortunately I can't blame this one all on the salmon. I was in the process of bleeding him but mis-judged the end of the swim juusst a little. This particular mess was on me. Cleaned up nicely though.

I don't have the traditional salmon boat. Although it's a heck of a lot better than the one I used to have. I've had a few boats over the years. The last one before this was a Maxum 350 SCR. I found twin 8.1 motors don't troll very well. I did try it a couple of times. Beside exorbitant slip fees, fuel bills, etc and the fact I don't think I caught a salmon the four years I owned it - in my own defense most of that time was during salmon run crash. Including the no fish season and partial closed season. And then there was the real reason. The wife said it had to go...
    I have this one going on 4 years. A 2002 Maxum 240 SC. Granted not your typical salmon fishing boat. But it actually works. Having been burned by the twin 8.1 Horizon fuel bills I really downsized to a single 5.0 Mercruiser. It actually trolls great. Going upstream against the current away. It will keep a steady 2-2.2 mph.
    So, you'll probably see me around if you're out. I prefer going out at night. And, until it cools down - fish until I start baking out there
    Generally, drop the hook in the Sac, one of my favorite spots is just outside & upstream a bit from the Sac Marina or head up to my favorite nighttime jigging hole on the American _ and yes it is legal in the part of the lower American that I fish. I have only gone out twice but will pick up the pace starting next week.

10. Likes Hookem2004 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice fish. Those salmon seem to always be a "bleeder" though. Doesn't matter if you catch them in the ocean or river, blood everywhere.

What kind of boat is that you running? I'm always interested in boats and what people use.
    2018 Duckworth 235 Pacific Navigator
    Yamaha 250HP
    Yamaha 9.9 HP
    Scotty's downriggers
    Lowrance Ti2's

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bajakarr View Post
    Yep. Know what you mean. Last night I was prepping for today and another early morning start. The dark clouds moved in when my wife reminded me we already had plans to go to Apple Hill today. What? Dammit. You can get an apple pie any day! I'm thinking she just didn't hear me when I announced that the salmon are here...
    Since I'm now retired I have the luxury of avoiding the crowds on the weekends. But that means I will now have to wait until Sunday night to head back out!
    Addiction? Nah. Of course not. Now, if I could just have someone remove the video loop that keeps playing in my head showing all the salmon swimming past Sacramento. And think I hear them laughing at me. While I have to go and eat some damm apple pie up above Placerville. That's perfectly normal right? ... :)
    I'd rather eat Apple Pie than Salmon anyday,,,,, now catching Salmon, that's a different story. I just retired too, i might head up Sunday afternoon to if the traffic from Fairfield isn't to bad.
    Last edited by SteelyMan; 09-20-2019 at 11:25 AM.

13. Likes bajakarr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bickey420 View Post
    Im headed out next week ! I feel like an addict waiting for my fix lol
    Yep. Know what you mean. Last night I was prepping for today and another early morning start. The dark clouds moved in when my wife reminded me we already had plans to go to Apple Hill today. What? Dammit. You can get an apple pie any day! I'm thinking she just didn't hear me when I announced that the salmon are here...
    Since I'm now retired I have the luxury of avoiding the crowds on the weekends. But that means I will now have to wait until Sunday night to head back out!
    Addiction? Nah. Of course not. Now, if I could just have someone remove the video loop that keeps playing in my head showing all the salmon swimming past Sacramento. And think I hear them laughing at me. While I have to go and eat some damm apple pie up above Placerville. That's perfectly normal right? ... :)

15. Likes Stickman liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast