Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Stream fishing Southern California with float and fly - Video report

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Jetcraft View Post
    Great video, Calicanuck.

Nice to see some "back to the basics" fishing techniques. Reminds me of fishing when I was a kid (more years ago than I want to admit to), trolling from a rowboat or casting from shore at Lac La Juene, B.C. with a spinning rod, torpedo float and fly.

Although I love fly fishing, small streams can be a challenge with a fly rod. Your solution is great.

Since I mostly C & R, my choice would be a fly or lure rather than bait.

BTW, what part of Canada are you from?

Jim
    Hi Jim (Mr. Jetcraft),

I'm from Edmonton, Alberta and grew up fishing the prairie and northern lakes for Northern Pike, Walleye and Yellow Perch. We'd also fish the smaller pot hole lakes for Rainbows. I actually am planning on moving to BC in the next year. I think I'll move to the Okanagan area, somewhere south central BC. We usually spend time in the Kelowna area on Kalamalka lake each summer.

I never really fished small creeks before being down here in California. I'll have to try it out when back in BC and Alberta.

On a side note:
    Here is my little petition against live bait in wild trout streams and leaving trash. I know you guys probably are not the offenders leaving this kind of mess. I use live bait when at Big Bear Lake for Trout that I plan on eating, but it really isn't the best method for catch and release angling as you'll see in the video.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rugby Lock View Post
    That's not going to stop you is it?!!?
    Haha, no for sure not! She knows it's my fun time, makes me happy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calicanuck View Post
    Hey guys last weekend my dad and I headed up to the mountains to find some wild trout to catch. I tried fishing areas of a stream I've never fished before and things turned out really well. I was using a float with a couple of nymphs on it and hooked up on quite a few fish. My dad was using a mini jig and seemed to catch more than me although I did catch all the wild brown trout and he didn't catch any. The streams up there are beautiful right now with all the new growth. Some guys were fishing with worms, left their container afloat and 6 or 7 trout afloat as well. Pretty sad that guys have to use bait to catch these fish when they have no intention of keeping them. Leave the bait at home, artificial lures work great too. I made a video from the trip and if you haven't used a float and flies before you may want to check it out. Turn your spinning real into a small stream fly presenting machine. I know it doesn't beat a fly rod, but that's ok.

Calicanuck
    Great video, Calicanuck.

Nice to see some "back to the basics" fishing techniques. Reminds me of fishing when I was a kid (more years ago than I want to admit to), trolling from a rowboat or casting from shore at Lac La Juene, B.C. with a spinning rod, torpedo float and fly.

Although I love fly fishing, small streams can be a challenge with a fly rod. Your solution is great.

Since I mostly C & R, my choice would be a fly or lure rather than bait.

BTW, what part of Canada are you from?

Jim
    Jetcraft 1625 with 60HP Merc, 8HP YamahaT8,
    MK Riptide with iPilot, 2 Walker Electric Downriggers,
    Furuno Sonar and HB for Charting...a boat load of fishing fun.

Post Thanks / Like

Haha, my wife thinks i spend too much time making fishing videos! I guess we're in the same boat :)
    That's not going to stop you is it?!!?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bainter1212 View Post
    Wow great info! I will give that bead head nymph a chance. I will also continue to keep crawlers in my arsenal, as sometimes they will work when nothing else will.
    Most stream fish bight based on a reaction though... so bait usually isn't necessary if you play around and find the right presentation. It is more sporting to avoid bait and try artificials from my perspective. Fish also seem to be only lip hooked with artificials and take it deep in my experience with bait making release difficult. But if you're looking for dinner... bait it up!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info! I thank you but my wife does not!!

Haha, my wife thinks i spend too much time making fishing videos! I guess we're in the same boat :)

Post Thanks / Like

Wow great info! I will give that bead head nymph a chance. I will also continue to keep crawlers in my arsenal, as sometimes they will work when nothing else will.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a lot guys for all the kind words. It is just another hobby for me to sit around and make fishing videos in the evening so I'm glad someone likes to watch them.

This is all the equipment links that I was using and the jig that my dad was using.

Here is what a bead head prince nymph looks like, which is what I caught all the fish on.
    http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/uploads/DSC056862.JPG

Here is the rod and real combo, cheap at bass pro shop:
    Bass Pro Shops® MicroLite Classic Spinning Combos | Bass Pro Shops

Rigged with 4 pound Vanish:Berkley® Vanish® Fluorocarbon Fishing Line | Bass Pro Shops

Here are the E-Z trout floats I like to use since easy to attach to line and cast well without making a big splash since they are lighter than the standard red and white bobblers:
    https://www.troutmagnet.com/store/im...TF-resized.jpg

Dad's Jig:
    http://i.ebayimg.com/t/SIERRA-SLAMME...H9zg~~60_1.JPG

I think he also used a trout magnet mini jig for a while.
    Thanks for the info! I thank you but my wife does not!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FresnoJack View Post
    Te fly fishing desk at any sports store should have a range of small floats available to you.

Of course, fly fishers never call the floats or bobbers - Call them strike indicators.
    Yes I have heard about this denial problem... It floats and goes under the water when the fish takes the bait... sounds like a bobber to me!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Brilliant stuff as usual eh! Sorry, couldn't resist. Could you provide some links to the equipment you were using? Plan on trying some stream fishing. Thanks again for the great vid!

Thanks a lot guys for all the kind words. It is just another hobby for me to sit around and make fishing videos in the evening so I'm glad someone likes to watch them.

This is all the equipment links that I was using and the jig that my dad was using.

Here is what a bead head prince nymph looks like, which is what I caught all the fish on.
    http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/uploads/DSC056862.JPG

Here is the rod and real combo, cheap at bass pro shop:
    Bass Pro Shops® MicroLite Classic Spinning Combos | Bass Pro Shops

Rigged with 4 pound Vanish:Berkley® Vanish® Fluorocarbon Fishing Line | Bass Pro Shops

Here are the E-Z trout floats I like to use since easy to attach to line and cast well without making a big splash since they are lighter than the standard red and white bobblers:
    https://www.troutmagnet.com/store/im...TF-resized.jpg

Dad's Jig:
    http://i.ebayimg.com/t/SIERRA-SLAMME...H9zg~~60_1.JPG

I think he also used a trout magnet mini jig for a while.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast