Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hitch Hikers Creed

I want to go fishing with you. Right on the dot with all your points below.

Quote Originally Posted by Seon View Post
    It's been a couple of years since I posted this and being that it's the start of fishing season, I thought I'd share this again.

Some Skippers live and die by the 5 Minute Rule. Whether meeting at the dock or somewhere else if you’re more than 5 minutes late then you might miss the boat. Best to show up early because to show up late is rude, and don't be surprised if you are left at the dock. NOTE the 5-minute rule!

Ask ahead of time what gear you need and what you should bring. Some Skipper has plenty of gear while others only have enough for themselves. Some Skipper like to run a certain set up, and would prefer you use their gear.

Ask ahead of time if there is anything else the Skipper need you to bring or pick up: bait, extra tackle, ice, drinks, etc.

Help out where you can (some Skipper have a routine, and don't want your help or they are afraid they will miss a strap, plug, bumper, etc where as other guys will let you do anything): straps, plugs, wash down, cleaning, stowing away gear, whatever. Don't know? Then just ask. They'll let you know where you can pitch in

At the end of the day don't wait to be asked to pitch in. Have the money in hand and ready to pay.

Always offer to split the cost, it’s his/her option whether to accept it or not, depending on your circumstances.

If the Skipper has to ask you to share the expenses and help clean up then most likely you won’t be invited back.

If you pay and then snivel about it, you probably won’t ever be invited again, regardless.

At the end of the day, ask if there is anything else that needs to be done.

Don't forget to say “Thank You”.

2. Likes arrowtech01 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 49erbassman View Post
    Lol....we didn't catch any Salmon but I had fun and got a PB Striper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    LOL,yeah I remember that,we go Salmon fishing an your gonna teach me stuff!!!SOOOOOOO what do ya do???? Catch a striped CARP !!!!!Least it was big sort of for a carp!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CRABBY View Post
    My old offer to fish on my dime for salmon fishermen turned out well,I expected nothing but knowledge an companionship,usually I got both an then some!!Boats are expensive,maintenance,insurance,tags,towing etc.etc.But if your going anyway why not take a friend,they will pay ya what they can an whats more important than friendship!!To me it's like cooking a meal for four an not sharing with anyone an throwing out the extra food!!!Ya got it,share it,any gratuities you receive are just a little icing on the friendship you will get!JMHO...DonBUT.....They gotta bring their own food an drink,smoke !!!!!!! LOL
    Lol....we didn't catch any Salmon but I had fun and got a PB Striper.

Always wishin I was fishin!

Post Thanks / Like

My old offer to fish on my dime for salmon fishermen turned out well,I expected nothing but knowledge an companionship,usually I got both an then some!!Boats are expensive,maintenance,insurance,tags,towing etc.etc.But if your going anyway why not take a friend,they will pay ya what they can an whats more important than friendship!!To me it's like cooking a meal for four an not sharing with anyone an throwing out the extra food!!!Ya got it,share it,any gratuities you receive are just a little icing on the friendship you will get!JMHO...DonBUT.....They gotta bring their own food an drink,smoke !!!!!!! LOL

Post Thanks / Like

If you stop at a gas station. Bust out some money then. Offer to pay.

Oh and on my boat bring lots of beer.

DOC

Post Thanks / Like

I like this! When ever I go out fishing with someone I pay 100% weather or not I have the money. I remember going with a good buddy for salmon this past year and didn't catch anything but 1 keeper striper. The guy was determined to put me on a fish and he did. I ended up giving him 100$ for gas and everything else (even brought lunch for him on the boat). I'm not rich but I will find a way to put all I have. You can never expect to catch fish, that's why it's fishing but I know if I don't the fish gods are looking down on me and will get me next time. Good posting Seon!

-Xzi

Post Thanks / Like

thanks...
    " Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it ". - Norman Maclean.

Post Thanks / Like

anybody want to sticky this one... and seon's other hitch hiker one...? or sticky it in the hitch hiker spot... really good info...
    " Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it ". - Norman Maclean.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Hitch Hikers Creed

If you fish with someone else you really don't know it is a good idea to have a full wallet, and your own PFD (one that fits you). As far as gear I agree, you don't want to fish a leadcore set-up with a guy who has downriggers and fishes 20 ft setbacks to roll around bait balls (leadcore starts by colors and it is congruent with long setbacks thus tying up lines in a heartbeat). The other is to carry what you want to eat/drink onboard (this does not include booze on most boats, remember if something happens to the skipper you don't want to pilot a boat drunk/stoned/stupid). ............Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Post Thanks / Like

Hitch Hikers Creed

All good info. I also think there's an obligation on the captain to let everyone know what needs to be done, what it costs, etc etc.

A lot of people that don't own boats don't know what it takes and the only way they learn is if the captain provides info.

Insert witty line here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast