Post Thanks / Like

Re: WTB: Kokanee Casting Combo

Quote Originally Posted by berniebiz View Post
    What queens said. The low end Abus are now chinese made. My drag on the BCX is real choppy and is just a low quality feeling reel all around. I have the new STX as well and it is also made in china but it is a much more solid reel. My favorite by far is my C4, but it will be at the very top of your range and is a little overkill for kokes.
    Yea I've got a 6501 C3 for Salmon/Steelies, but for kokes I don't think I need as high end of a reel. Once I hit retirement in oh 30 years..then I'll put more money into my gear...for now I still have to pay the mortgage, bills, debt, and am limited by those circumstances. (aren't we all...)

So I think I'm settling on the Shakespeare Agility 7' UL Rod...now to find a decent level-wind casting reel...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cali Duck View Post
    Would you mind elaborating on the BCX reel? I have a 6501 and love it, hence why I thought "hey, Abu Garcia! Good quality!"

Main issue with my spinning reel is the drag... I don't think it'll do well for dropping the line
    What queens said. The low end Abus are now chinese made. My drag on the BCX is real choppy and is just a low quality feeling reel all around. I have the new STX as well and it is also made in china but it is a much more solid reel. My favorite by far is my C4, but it will be at the very top of your range and is a little overkill for kokes.

Senior Member QueenAnnesRevenge's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The low end abus are no longer made in Sweden
    They are Chinese and pretty awful in comparison
    Any c3, c4, record etc is still made in Sweden as well as the low profile bc

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by berniebiz View Post
    I have a BCX and I wouldnt advise that you purchase one. They are made in China and are not a representation of Abu. Its not terrible but im sure you can get something better for $50. I use spinning rods for kokes on my riggers, but I know a lot of people prefer casting reels as well. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.
    Would you mind elaborating on the BCX reel? I have a 6501 and love it, hence why I thought "hey, Abu Garcia! Good quality!"

Main issue with my spinning reel is the drag... I don't think it'll do well for dropping the line

Senior Member NaughtyFlashLures's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Okuma makes a couple trout/kokanee SST downrigger rods in the $50 range. i like the 7'6" SST a lot. Its light action, not ultra light and handles bigger rapalas really well.
    That should leave a little extra cash to step up in the reel department.
    I run coldwater size 15 line counters on them and have no complaints.

They have a 7' version that is ultralight that may work beter for kokanee.
    Last edited by NaughtyFlashLures; 05-07-2014 at 02:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cali Duck View Post
    Just got some down riggers ($100 for 2x Cannon MiniMags!) and realized I probably don't want to use my spinning rod for trolling with them.

I'm just putting the feelers out to see if anyone is looking to unload a kokanee/trout casting combo in 7'-8' range with ultralight rod (or noodle rod? As I think they're referred to?)

Otherwise I'll order a rod/reel from Cabela's for +/- $100 as follows:

Cabela's Rod:
    Cabela's Pro Guide® Kokanee Casting Rod : Cabela's

Abu Garcia BCX:
    Abu Garcia® BCX Round Reel : Cabela's

I'm open to opinions/discussion too!
    I have a BCX and I wouldnt advise that you purchase one. They are made in China and are not a representation of Abu. Its not terrible but im sure you can get something better for $50. I use spinning rods for kokes on my riggers, but I know a lot of people prefer casting reels as well. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

WTB: Kokanee Casting Combo

Just got some down riggers ($100 for 2x Cannon MiniMags!) and realized I probably don't want to use my spinning rod for trolling with them.

I'm just putting the feelers out to see if anyone is looking to unload a kokanee/trout casting combo in 7'-8' range with ultralight rod (or noodle rod? As I think they're referred to?)

Otherwise I'll order a rod/reel from Cabela's for +/- $100 as follows:

Cabela's Rod:
    Cabela's Pro Guide® Kokanee Casting Rod : Cabela's

Abu Garcia BCX:
    Abu Garcia® BCX Round Reel : Cabela's

I'm open to opinions/discussion too!