Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking for effective trout Powerbait

Caught my limit last week in shallow water (1-3 feet) using a split shot (about bb size), mice tail and #12 light wire dry fly hook threaded on with a worm threader. Tossed it out then very slowly reeled it back. The movement is what got them interested. Make sure the hook is protruding a half inch behind the round head. Any further back seemed to kill the tail action and resulted in less strikes. Because the water was so shallow I decided to float the worm about six to eight inches.

A worm threader, while not absolutely necessary, is a great tool if you're using mice tails, gets it rigged up in a flash.

Personally I think things like worm tails and powerbait work mostly on stocked trout, especially if you're not jigging it but just letting it soak. When soaking they seem to work better during windy days and I think it's because the wind imparts movement.

I've caught catfish and bass on worm tails but only when imparting movement to them to make them lifelike. Brown trout seem to be more finicky and respond well to movement. Stocked rainbows are biting soaked non-movement mice tails because they're hungry, don't know what to eat and are trying just about anything. Seems like a soaked trout worm works best a few weeks after stocking. Jigged/slow retrieved works well anytime but especially well after recently being stocked.

As stated elsewhere, make sure your rig floats. Switch to a smaller or lighter hook if it doesn't. Lighter/thinner hooks penetrate easier than a thicker hook, which is why I use dry fly hooks. Fish oils that come in a pill form (check your pharmacy) work great for attraction power.

I've been playing around with fly fishing stuff and that just opened a whole other dimension to fishing with different variables like ambient light, stealth, differences between Stillwater and and moving water, dry, emerger or wet flies... Welcome to one of the best hobbies around! It's great for the mind, mental health and body fitness, too.

Post Thanks / Like

There has been a lot of good advice here. I'll second that you generally don't have to cast too far from the shore (as long as there is a drop off, not a shallow flat). We all use lures (or in this case bait) that we have confidence in. If you want to use dough bait, I suggest that you buy 3 jars of different colors and scents. If you are using one rod, fish about 30 minutes with one jar. If you get no strikes, move along the shoreline and fish with a different color for 30 minutes, etc. When you hook something, you will begin to have confidence in that bait and will want to continue to fish with it.

When fishing with dough baits, I sometimes use an 18 inch leader and sometimes a 36 inch leader. Trout are going to notice bait just a little above them, so a 36 inch leader is not too long.

Don't overlook Zeke's Sierra Gold. It is really good stuff. For Power Bait, I prefer Garlic and Salmon Peach. With Zeke's, I really like the white. Just got back from fishing two weeks in the Eastern Sierras. Spent 7 of the days at lakes and caught 8 Alpers. 4 of the 8 were on Zeke's, even though I used it less often than Power Bait.

Keep trying. Don't give up. You will develop confidence in a particular bait, and it will start producing fish for you.

Post Thanks / Like

One more thing that comes from hand-spooling it at the bank: my main line floats to some degree, but I use a #4 hook with a big night crawler, which sinks but not too fast. When I cast out into deep water, as soon as the bait hits the surface I spool out yards of slack - so from the spot where I hit to the shore, I can see my line floating... and I can see the rate of descent by how fast the slack is being taken up. It's usually pretty steady in calm waters. I keep reeling off slack until the bait stops descending, which I know because it stops sucking down the slack. After that, the point where my line enters the water starts moving closer to me as the line sinks, and that should be at a fairly constant rate. But there's still some slack left on the water at my feet, and I keep my eye on that water-entry spot. That's the way it is if nothing disturbs the line. But if a fish grabs my bait even gently, the rate of sinking/etc will increase if the fish runs away or down; or will actually slow if he's rising or coming toward me. Either way, I know I've had a hit, before I would have felt anything on the line.

Treebeard

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CAL916BEAR View Post
    Also I dont know if anybody mentioned but dont cast as far as you possibly can. Especially up north where the water is cooler trout will be cruising the shoreline in search if food. One big misconception is casting out far, 90% or more of my fish come within 15ft of the bank.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk
    Right on. In lakes, sometimes I catch more with a hand-thrown line than other people right next to me, probably because I can't cast out nearly as far. That happens more often in the evening, it seems. There have been times when I thought I completely blew my shot and only went out 5 or 10 feet, so started to rewind quickly for another farther cast, but suddenly felt like I was snagged... when actually I was the snagger! ;-)

On the other hand, there are many times when getting it out there works best - just depends are where the fish are feeding... the real message here is don't limit yourself to just one technique.

TB

Post Thanks / Like

If we get a couple more pages of great suggestions, someone can write a book off this forum. Don't be afraid to try different color baits and brands. I almost have to have a separate backpack just to carry my jars and bags of bait. I am always buying a new one at the store that looks promising. Hence the reason Power Bait comes in so darn many colors. With all of this information, you can't go wrong and we all wait for your next fishing post.

Post Thanks / Like

Also I dont know if anybody mentioned but dont cast as far as you possibly can. Especially up north where the water is cooler trout will be cruising the shoreline in search if food. One big misconception is casting out far, 90% or more of my fish come within 15ft of the bank.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Floating nightcrawlers and some power eggs. That works just about anywhere.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

worms with marshmallows on the hook tip or shank eye
    slays them all day long

A Life spent fishing, is never wasted.

Post Thanks / Like

sorry if this is late to this thread but with mice tails, I've found that you need to let them take some line before you set. The trout in our area take the bait and run then eat. If you wait unlike with powerbait you can get a hookset and fish on.

I'm a bank fisher and we use a bobber with a snap swivel on our line one or two guides down from the tip after casting and letting the line settle as a fish bite indicator. Hang the bobber on the line between guides and pull it down to let it hang a foot or so... when the trout takes the bait the bobber climbs, by the time you remove the bobber you can set the hook.

works well in for our fishing. just my two cents... another trick to try...

Post Thanks / Like

We fish yearly up in the lakes basin area (Salmon, Sardine and sometimes Gold Lake) and we slay them with 4 lb test to bullet sinker, to smallest swivel with 2 lb test leader with a 16 or 18 gauge treble with barbs snipped off. Rainbow powerbait.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast