Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Plugging around the bay

Night fishing is some of the best times for striper. They love to feed in low light situations when they have the advantage over baitfish. I've caught tons in the delta at night off a variety of color swim baits & crankbaits. The fish are def. closer to the shore at night I had a friend catch a 30 lber in the surf at night off a hairraiser. The fish are more comfortable & less fearful at night near the shore, they are built to feed in any situation there predators for a reason.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mana_kai View Post
    Its not only where to fish but when. You can catch fish during the day but stripers are mostly night feeders, and dawn and dusk are good times. Need to look at tides too as stripers feed in moving water. During the night and at dawn you can find stripers near shore in shallow water going after bait fish. When it gets bright out they move to deeper water. In deep water they like to be on the face of a rise in the bottom facing the current as smaller bait fish get swept by. Where marshes drain out to the bay through culverts or creeks is also a great place to fish.
    Idk about night feeding. I have lots of situations where we are on a hot school and they actually stop feeding when it's totally dark. Especially in winter night fishing can be tuff cause the temps make them so lethargic and there's no sun to warm them up. Sure they do feed into the the night but not sure they do it more than the day time. Atleast the delta stripes.

Post Thanks / Like

Its not only where to fish but when. You can catch fish during the day but stripers are mostly night feeders, and dawn and dusk are good times. Need to look at tides too as stripers feed in moving water. During the night and at dawn you can find stripers near shore in shallow water going after bait fish. When it gets bright out they move to deeper water. In deep water they like to be on the face of a rise in the bottom facing the current as smaller bait fish get swept by. Where marshes drain out to the bay through culverts or creeks is also a great place to fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cynematek View Post
    Hey fellow fishsniffers, I've lived in the tri valley east bay for about 6 years now and have yet to catch a saltwater Striper. Got into casting and lures a year ago but mainly fish the aqueduct or the sjr. I see these guys on instagram constantly slaying these linesides but most aren't really helpful. Earlier this week i tried out by point molate with swimbait and got nothing whereas a guy who said he hadn't fished in 10 years showed up and caught a shaker on his 2nd cast on an old swimbait. A friend told me about a place so I drove by today which was the Nantucket restaurant in crockett, saw a couple guys soaking bait but i wasn't sure if the spot was good for tossing plugs from shore. Any info on where to go or what to do would really help, I'm really looking to making new fishing friends in the bay, if anyone is willing to help I'd seriously pay $40 for your gas to learn the ropes. I've been blown off by many people so i don't expect much, thanks in advance
    If you have a boat try plugging the Brisbane Tubes, Candlestick Point and Candlestick Cove. Hairraisers with a worm trailer or rattletraps so all work. The tubes and the point can also be fishing from shore.
    Last edited by Troutbead; 04-06-2016 at 11:27 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

i would be careful on going alone anywhere around crockett I have a friend who was fishing that area from shore and some thugs tried to rob him he got away from them only to get shot. it sucks for me to say this kind of thing but that's what this world has come to. Crime pays for these thugs because they just get let go with no punishment

Post Thanks / Like

To be honest nobody is ever familiar with access spots to bank fish. Get out, drive around and find some water, stripers are everywhere. No one will ever give out spots because it has taken hrs and days figuring out what works.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ppickerell View Post
    Yes the plugging off the rocks in Crockett west of Nantucket can be good. Try Pt Pinole, bring a bike and bike out from the parking lot. Several spots on the Richmond shoreline to plug. There is plenty of bank to work near the shipping terminals in Oakland. Alameda Rock Wall for Halis. St francis Yacht club in the city for stripers. Good luck

Some great spots, some will only get better as the water warms.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ppickerell View Post
    Yes the plugging off the rocks in Crockett west of Nantucket can be good. Try Pt Pinole, bring a bike and bike out from the parking lot. Several spots on the Richmond shoreline to plug. There is plenty of bank to work near the shipping terminals in Oakland. Alameda Rock Wall for Halis. St francis Yacht club in the city for stripers. Good luck
    Wow that's really helpful info, def gonna check it out this week, thanks for the tips! Will report back with catches or skunk :)

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigUnInDaBoat View Post
    They guys that have given up their pluggin spots usually get burned by tons of people showing up and ruining fishing. They'll tell one guy and that guys catches fish and tells a buddy who tells two of his buddies ect.... They are being caught in San Pablo bay. You'll have to get out and scout and try to find em. Good luck
    I feel ya, I'm just not too familiar with the bay so i'm not sure of where we're really able to access the shoreline. I know fish come and go so it's hard to understand what areas hold fish more than others. Just hoping there are some cool fisherman on here that fish the bay who are down to make new fishing partners. I'm not one to ask for free handouts and expose people's spots, I'll pay ppl to tag along and learn the tricks of the trade.

11. Likes BigUnInDaBoat liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast