Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best Fishfinder/Gps combo

my favorite GPS combo fish finder Garmin Striker 7SV. a really great product

aka sschefer
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a larger boat with plenty of space at the helm so I went with the Raymarine Axiom based on the advice I got from Clemens Marina in Oregon. That advice was based on feed back from local professionals who fish for a living. I went with the 12" model. I can see it easily from anywhere in the boat so I really don't need another unit at the stern. If I want it I can just use my tablet since it can also act as a wireless hot spot. Several of the others can do that too and it's something I think most would be foolish to not consider as being a highly desirable feature. Mine also has a 3D function that I rarely use but when I did use it, I was able to see the way that fish were schooled up around structure and determine they were not the fish I wanted to target.

One of the things I noticed almost immediately about the Axiom was the level of discrimination. I was no longer seeing garbage and false returns, just real fish. I can't count the amount of time I've spent chasing junk so this, to me anyway, is a huge plus.

I've always stuck with Lowrance in the past but I'm very happy I made the switch. It's not priced in the economy zone but I believe it's worth every penny just to be able to trust it. As for ease of use, I've never used one that was easier to setup and get to fishing. Sure, you can get really involved in the fine tuning but I have yet to even read more than the quick start manual and it still performs well enough to make me happy.

Post Thanks / Like

All depends on what you want to spend, personally, I go with HDS Lowrance https://bestoutdooritems.com/best-fishfinder-gps-combo/ I also used a Furuno, Raymarine, and Navman. All brought good results with the right movement. I think that it comes down to personal elections and how much you need to spend this business personally. I find the 5 inch screens too small when working in split-screen mode. As far as the transducer goes it really depends on what you MAINLY fish for if most fishing is in depths less than 100m you'll be fine with the 600w transducer.Its all about getting the best unit that suits your fishing. Yesterday I came across an interesting video on YouTube I think it will be useful for you to see it
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________
    Last edited by hisarou; 06-26-2018 at 01:52 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I like Garmin echoMaps. Works great in the bay and outside the gate.

Old and In The Way
    Post Thanks / Like

I just got done installing a Lowrance Elite 7 TI with the Totalscan transducer and Navionics+ map card. Can't wait to get it out on the water.

I had a Hook 7 on my 14' Klamath and had lots of problems with it. Hope this one works better.
    ---
    Angels Camp, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Just installed lowrance hook 7 on the bow of the boat last night. Have same unit on helm. No complaints at all.

Post Thanks / Like

The new 9" Garmin CHIRP 94DS is an awsome unit> I used to be a lowrance fan but now its Garmin.

Post Thanks / Like

i have a similar sized boat and do the same fishing you do. i agree with the other posters and suggest getting the biggest screen you can. it is really handy to split screen and have a large display that makes everything very readable. i would suggest calculating mounting brackets into your budget as well. if your windshield is in tight or at a sharp angle in relation to where you plan to mount a good sized unit, you may want to look into getting some ram ball mount accessories. you dont want to get a 7" unit and have no way to mount it in an optimal spot that wont reduce your ability to see out of the windshield, or any dash gauges you may have.

personally i am a big fan of the lowrance elite series. easy to use, good quality, great price. i shot this video of a walk around of my boat for a lowe boat owners forum, and if you skip to 10:23 of this video, you can see how i set mine up so that it would be out of the way of my view, and the steering wheel, controls, and gauges.

here's the link:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpuA73IOtEE

Post Thanks / Like

Biggest bang for your price point right now is a RM Dragonfly 7" screen, chirp ducer, and Navionic's mapping. After the rebate your right in the middle of your budget. Very good machines for inland and inshore,,,Gregg

http://www.thegpsstore.com/Raymarine...lus-P4736.aspx

Post Thanks / Like

All things being equal, go with at least a seven inch. When I bought my 14' Gregor in 2007 I bought a Lowrance LMS-522 IGPS. Am still using it today with zero problems. However, my next unit will be at least a 7" because as others have noted, the 5" screen gets crowded when you use more than one function at a time...Install your new investment with a solid, adjustable Ram mount.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast