Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lake Isabella, CA Crappie And Bass?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff E View Post
    Howd you catch em Popka?
    For carp - I normally buy flour mix from Korean fishing stores (Joy Fishing in Los Angeles sells it). After mixing with water, some people add vanilla oil for scent or white wonder bread for additional texture - to make a doughy bait. Carp seems to really like it. But I'm sure there are many other baits that work.

For catfish - either worms or chicken liver.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Popka89 View Post
    It has been a while - but from what I remember when I camped at Kern - you can get trout. The river is pretty narrow - seemed like 20 yards wide at certain places. Don't know how the recent snow / rain has impacted the conditions. Curious to find out myself.

I fished Lake Isabella 2 years ago. Arrived at night (before sunrise) and stayed till noon or so. Caught whole bunch of carp (all released) and about half dozen catfish. Nothing spectacular, but I took a few home.
    Howd you catch em Popka?

Post Thanks / Like

It has been a while - but from what I remember when I camped at Kern - you can get trout. The river is pretty narrow - seemed like 20 yards wide at certain places. Don't know how the recent snow / rain has impacted the conditions. Curious to find out myself.

I fished Lake Isabella 2 years ago. Arrived at night (before sunrise) and stayed till noon or so. Caught whole bunch of carp (all released) and about half dozen catfish. Nothing spectacular, but I took a few home.

4. Likes Jeff E liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thay are letting a bunch of water out so that means they think its going to fill. Snowpack is 200 percent of normal and they are talking about another round of possibly very wet weather in the southern sierra starting around the 19th or so. When a lake has been real low for awhile it gets recharged and the fish grow well for a number of years. Could be some mega bass coming out of there again!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff E View Post
    Theres a bunch of different fish in Isabella! And then all around there in the high country, from Brook trout to Browns to Goldens! Good Smallmouth in the Lower river and about 15 years back they thought the next world record Largemouth would come out of there!
    I'm definitely going to give it a go. Don't know the lake, but will find out.That is if I don't get run over in the canyon on the way.

7. Likes Jeff E liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Theres a bunch of different fish in Isabella! And then all around there in the high country, from Brook trout to Browns to Goldens! Good Smallmouth in the Lower river and about 15 years back they thought the next world record Largemouth would come out of there!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, sorry it took me so long to say thanks for responding, but thanks for responding! I was there on the weekend of the 7th and just went down on Friday again and got back to NorCal from down there a few hours ago. Didn't get to try my hand at any fishing yet, but hope to soon. Found a couple reports on a local funky forum but it's not a very active forum so there wasn't too much info. What there was was mostly trout related...which I am absolutely not opposed to either...lol. I know they've done a couple of plants plus there's still fatties from the derby too. When I was there over the 7th, I saw a couple of kids pull a few nice ones out of hatchery creek that runs through the campground our trailer is in. They were using salmon eggs...and they were super happy with their fish.

As far as the lake goes, it was even up this time from when I was there last. Definitely filling up. The snow pack is melting and the river is running pretty decent through Kernville.

Here's a pic (I didn't take) from how it looked up until this last winter. Normally where you see it go right and left at the top there would still be water where all the greenery is. In this pic, there wasn't even hardly water in Paradise Cove...

And here one I took from the vista part by the dam above French Gulch Marina (down on the left as well as lower mid left of above pic, for reference). Definitely about 10-15'+ higher than last year at this time...not that it's easy to tell because they're completely different angles...lol.

It's really dumb that I've never fished there or the river with how long and how much I go down there!
    Last edited by underdogs_catfish; 05-23-2016 at 06:44 PM.

10. Likes Jeff E liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The lake is slowly coming up from last year. The bulk of the snowpack is still up there. I think you can still night fish there.

Post Thanks / Like

I was over these two years ago and it was way low. Now I hear it's like 3% so I am not sure if much is going on. They did a lot of artificial structure Devlopment with old Christmas trees and what not so that was interesting to see. I was on a kayak so it was easy to launch but I have no idea about a boat. I was told it was a good catfish lake. Good luck to you. It's a beautiful area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Lake Isabella, CA Crappie And Bass?

Any tips, tricks, or recent good words to pass my way? My dad and I have a camp spot in Kernville so I'm down that way quite a bite, but have never taken the time to fish the lake.