Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: First Ocean Striper + First Whopper

Nice job.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ucsbfisherman View Post
    Before today, I had never caught a striper in the ocean. I have caught a few in the Napa River, the Sac, and the Sloughs, as well as a couple in the Bay, but never anything in the ocean. Albeit, I had only tried for stripers in the ocean a couple of times, and never with lures--just sandcrabs.

Since I am leaving California for the summer, I wanted to give striper fishing one more shot before I depart, since I'll miss the bulk of the summer run. I left Fremont at 5:30 a.m. and started my day at about 6:30 a.m. at Ocean Beach. OB was very slow, and I had some bad luck with lines snapping when casting, and wind preventing my lures from casting far.

At about 8:30 a.m., I packed it up at Ocean Beach and moved down to Mussel Rock--except I didn't get to fish at Mussel because I was not down to scale the rock wall while I was by myself. I figured I was 0 for 2 on the day with my spots, and almost packed it up at about 9:15 a.m. Instead, since Pacifica Pier was a short ways from Mussel, I decided to give it a shot there. Third time's the charm right?

I get out to Pacifica Pier at about 9:30 a.m. and opt to fish the beach. Waves are low and wind is down--perfect lure-throwing conditions. And, birds are diving about 100 yards out. Good signs! I start out with a 3oz hair raiser w/ an added white tail. Give it about 20 minutes. No luck. I then switch over to my lighter reel with 20lb braid, and a 1.25 oz SP Minnow. Less than five casts in...wham! First striper in the ocean! Unfortunately, he was just short of 18", by a quarter inch if even. Quickly release.

At this point, I'm pumped up though. The minnow worked and it wasn't even that far of a cast. I know they're right there behind the waves. So I keep casting, probably for about another 45 minutes. The birds leave about 15 minutes in, and I wonder if I should shift down the beach and follow them. I decide not to. And man am I glad I stayed. Around 10:30 I get a huge hit on the lure. Again, right behind the waves. Except this bite is like no other striper bite I have ever experienced. It is almost pulling my rod out of my hands. I quickly loosen drag and I immediately hear "whirrrrrrr"; he's pulling a ton of line! The battle is on. Ten, maybe fifteen minutes later I finally have the fish close to the sand. Massive striper. Despite being beached, it's still trying to fight its way back into the water. Here I am, 10.5 foot rod in my right hand, trying to scoop this beast out of the water and onto dry sand with my left. Finally, I get it up. I carry it by the hook up to base camp. The battle is over. I hooked and landed my first whopper. 34 inches, 13+ pounds. Dinner for the whole family! Very good day.

Attachment 28516
    congrats!

Post Thanks / Like

nice fish keep going there out there.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice fish! Congratulations.
    Fungaiolo/Cacciatore/Pescatore

-Lou (Louis)

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet! I'm still workin on my first out of the ocean....

Post Thanks / Like

nice catch!! great report!!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    Life is too short! Enjoy each day what we have :)
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats! Always nice to see your work pay off after hours of working you're line.
    ------------------------------------
    Live life through experiences
    ------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on your first beach striper! Nothing like them slamming a lure that close to the beach. I am sure you will be back....

Post Thanks / Like

Well done!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Niice fish, thanks for the report and pics. Can't forget Cali now, fish on!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast