Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: anyone ever fish the rock wall on the south end of mare island?

i used to troll there. and long ago i used to fish on the concrete pier east of it. back then there was a lot of sharks and stripers. recently mostly stripers.

the current is strong at times but another thing to consider are the ferry boats and their wake. They are too fast to outrun.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LONO100 View Post
    I'm going to be out and about this weekend between Benicia and san Pablo bay and I was wondering if anyone has fished that rock wall on the south end of mare island? I've passed by it on the way to spb before and was wondering if anyone has had any experience fishing it. I wanted to throw some lures at it, but it looks like boat control could be tough, and I'm not even sure if its safe to hang around in that spot since I never see anyone there.

If you do stop to fish there along front of wall, DO NOT ANCHOR There if you can avoid it especially during fast tides. you will lose or have to go back for anchor at slack tide to tow it free.. Fishing better at end of wall towards pumphouse. gets shallow fast if inside of wall. but fishing can be good there in 5 to 12 feet plus of water....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappieJed View Post
    For 8 years I managed Napa golf course on the Napa river. Know the river and that wall like back my hand. The wall great place the west end of the wall and about 40 yards out is where I anchored did good on strippers and sturgeon never got skunked. I used grass shrimp and fillet sardines but the guys are correct mudsuckers I call them gobies are the best. They are easy to catch go to shallow areas of Napa river in the tullies at Kennedy park set minnow trap with couple strips bacon or can tuna. Or you can long pole with the smallest trout egg hook you can find use red worms mudsuckers love them. Like me on Okies shrimp . But stay in the tullies. I have a spot on Napa river that is killer on linesides I can pm you if you want. Just know there is going be some balloons involved. Lol
    I've heard those stories from the oldtimer Brian who passed last year. Good guy. He told me about people using beachballs as well hah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Likes CrappieJed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Manley View Post
    yes, once you turn that corner and start heading west it can get real dicey in hurry. I too will give it another shot under better conditions
    It can get foggy out there too scare pee wodin out of you. But winter can be spectacular out there

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yearroundfisherman View Post
    We took a trip there in the tracker back in October but when we were tying up to throw lures at the wall a wave broke the bow and we decided to get out. To bad too since we had some fat mud suckers and grass shrimp that day. It gets rough there fast. We're going to make another attempt at it this year though.

yes, once you turn that corner and start heading west it can get real dicey in hurry. I too will give it another shot under better conditions

7. Likes Yearroundfisherman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For 8 years I managed Napa golf course on the Napa river. Know the river and that wall like back my hand. The wall great place the west end of the wall and about 40 yards out is where I anchored did good on strippers and sturgeon never got skunked. I used grass shrimp and fillet sardines but the guys are correct mudsuckers I call them gobies are the best. They are easy to catch go to shallow areas of Napa river in the tullies at Kennedy park set minnow trap with couple strips bacon or can tuna. Or you can long pole with the smallest trout egg hook you can find use red worms mudsuckers love them. Like me on Okies shrimp 🍤. But stay in the tullies. I have a spot on Napa river that is killer on linesides I can pm you if you want. Just know there is going be some balloons involved. Lol

9. Likes Yearroundfisherman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We took a trip there in the tracker back in October but when we were tying up to throw lures at the wall a wave broke the bow and we decided to get out. To bad too since we had some fat mud suckers and grass shrimp that day. It gets rough there fast. We're going to make another attempt at it this year though.

Post Thanks / Like

Fished it by boat twice. Bat Rays and small stripers were what I found, but same to be said for the other places we fished on the same trip. There were some funky rips that develop when the tide gets rolling. Wouldn't want to get an anchor hung up too close, but common sense should keep you ok fishing there.

Steep transition at the end. 40-50' on the channel side if I remember correctly and 5-6' on the estuary side. Sure seems like a natural funnel. Spent time thinking it would be a spot to troll for salmon, but never tried it.

As for the Vallejo ramp haven't had a break in, but it's not a good area, and there's been broken glass each time ive used it.

Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Lono, I have fished the west end of that wall, it extends out pretty far. It's decent for stripes. Lots of sharks and rays around there. We've caught stripes out in front of the old barracks too. Another good spot is a little ways up the Napa, past the drawbridge, on the right side. There is a sunken ship up there, and tons of fish hiding in the structure.

13. Likes Yearroundfisherman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

never beem, will have to check it out, i have a decent spot off 37 that used to be on fire

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast