Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Old and In The Way
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What's So Special About Freeport?

I will never know. I have no desire to fish in crowds. I will leave that to people who enjoy that kind of stuff.
    ---
    Avery, CA

Post Thanks / Like

The drift is mainly just past the bridge to the big log sticking out of the water at the end of the marina. For whatever reason the fish congregate on that side of the river close to shore. It's not a monkey see monkey do anything but a just a great place to get a fish on jigs. Deeper holes won't hold near as many fish as that 15-25ft zone in my opinion and that drift has several spots where it's a shallower hole that drops several feet to the 24 feet stuff. Those fish sit at the bottom of those shelves and rest from the current. And you can see those zone on the finder easily. Just my 2 pennies.
    In the abundance of water, the fool is thirsty - Robert Nesta Marley

3. Likes LURKER916 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I can see how the no wake zone might be an advantage for drifting, especially when it's crowded.

DSA, I was introduced to jigging in 20-30 foot holes, and I have actually done quite well the last few years hunting out 20-30 foot holes and jigging them, so that's where my gravitation towards deeper water comes from. I have one hole that is as deep as 50' but I try to work no deeper than about 30' around the edges.

Now I'm off to find some good looking lines of 20' water to do some more jigging.
    Taking off and flying is easy, it's the landings that will kill you.

Oh Yeah!...Salmon!...Everything else is just practice.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is There Something Special About Freeport Bridge?

MH is deeper and more snaggy. We've hooked them there in like 28 feet but not nearly as many as in that 12-18 foot stuff.

Skypig, I dont really think salmon chill in the deeper holes. There was that guy on here, what was his name, Barnacle, a few years back that would go out and jig 30-60 feet of water and wondered why he never hooked fish. I've caught more salmon in the sac area down to Hood in 18-1' of water. yes, they'll bite right up against the bank. crazy when it happens, but throwing spinners to shallow rollers has worked for me in the past.

Post Thanks / Like

As stated by PinkSalmon, I think a big reason is the no wake zone coupled with the monkey see monkey do attitude of most fishermen. I wouldn't say there are any holes on the west side in the marina area. It is pretty consistent depth wise with a few snags that are pretty easy to figure out and avoid. However, there is a lot of trash in that water and bring a few trash bags with you. In a single trip I have pulled; pants, shirts, hats, spools of line, poles, nets, and a bunch of random trash from the bottom.

Post Thanks / Like

i jig this area. a couple of reasons why i think (at least for me) boaters congregate at freeport. you have two marinas - cliffs and the one by freeport bar and grill. if you dock your boat here it's an easy, quick boat ride to your spot. another is it's a no wake zone. nothing more annoying than jigging on a smooth drift and have a few water skateboarders zooming by creating huge wakes.

there are regulars who catch tons and tons of fish there. personally, i think garcia bend and minnow hole are just as good.

Post Thanks / Like

So are you speaking of the whole area between Freeport and Rio Vista (bridge to bridge?), or just the short drift from the Freeport bridge to the bottom of the marina? That's the main area I am asking about, from the bridge to the downstream end of the marina. It's maybe a half to 3/4 mile drift that had a consistent bottom depth of 20 feet, give or take a couple. Nothing I would consider a hole exactly. That's why I asked the original question; I could not see any reason why the fish would congregate there more than any other area.

I really expected the crowd to be down below Clarksburg in the deeper water, but I guess where ever the line of fish is will work as long as its not so shallow as to spook the fish as you drift over.
    Last edited by Skypig; 09-01-2016 at 11:11 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pankynukka View Post
    I use single hooks so I rarely get snagged there at all. Jigg eater? If you are aware of all those snags then why are you losing your gear on it? 18-24 foot deep holes are perfect for jigging and salmon fishing in general. Not too deep but deep enough for the fish to feel protected. I would challenge you to find a more productive spot for this type of fishing anywhere on any of our rivers. I would also venture that from bridge to bridge, it kicks out more fish than any other in the region aside from the basin or outlet.
    Basin is in the Anerican a mile from the mouth right?

Post Thanks / Like

I use single hooks so I rarely get snagged there at all. Jigg eater? If you are aware of all those snags then why are you losing your gear on it? 18-24 foot deep holes are perfect for jigging and salmon fishing in general. Not too deep but deep enough for the fish to feel protected. I would challenge you to find a more productive spot for this type of fishing anywhere on any of our rivers. I would also venture that from bridge to bridge, it kicks out more fish than any other in the region aside from the basin or outlet.
    In the abundance of water, the fool is thirsty - Robert Nesta Marley

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pankynukka View Post
    It is a great spot that constantly produces that's why its famous and a zoo. Good drifts, deep holes, very few snags, and for whatever reason the fish seem to always be there. The regulars are friendly and everyone for the most part is courteous. For the most part.
    I'll grant you everyone was courteous considering how crowded it was. Things happen pretty slowly at drift speeds, but if folks were catching it might have gotten a bit more hectic.

Three minutes in I got snagged and managed to pulled up a salmon net with a couple jigs attached. Got snagged a couple more times but managed to get free. There were no deep holes to speak of that I saw. The whole drift, almost all the way down to the bend above Clarksburg, was consistently 18-22 feet deep.

This was my first time there so I can't say I have seen a whole lot of the area, but from what I saw I am more inclined to think it's more of a self fulfilling prophecy type of thing. A bunch of people are there, so with more lines in the water a fish gets caught. Lots of people see it, so the word gets out and more people come. More lines in the water, again a fish gets caught, more people see it, and on and on, so it must be a good spot.

12. Likes michaelnel liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast