Post Thanks / Like

Re: Scope to hunt turkey?

For me nothing less than a Winchester 300 magnum with a 3 x 12 scope will do for turkey. The muzzle blast alone will defeather and cook the bird to a perfect golden brown.
    Seriously I am not aware of any birds or waterfowl that can be taken with a rifle in Ca. When I taught hunter safety we covered basic hunting regulations for common game like deer, waterfowl, turkey and others. If you took a hunter safety course you should have been aware that you can't hunt turkey in Ca. with a rifle. I don't mean to be harsh but you need to do a little basic research before contemplating hunting any species. I think everyone here is happy to answer your hunting questions but this question shows a real lack of basic hunting education.
    Hunting, Fishing, Labrador Retrievers and a glass of Forty Creek Barrel Select Canadian Whiskey at the end of the day - Life Is Sweet

2. Likes MKE, CAL.NDN, Merle, CRABBY liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Honestly you don't need a scope for turkeys. Max range you should be shooting at (only with the correct gear, choke, loads, ect) is about 60-65 yards.

4. Likes burninfuel, Waterdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grncrestliner View Post
    I guess I would have to ask where you intend to hunt turkeys with your rifle? Under section 311 methods of take for small game animals (turkeys are in the list) rifles are not listed for turkeys. If it is not a listed method of take it is illegal. The only small game listed for rifles is rabbits and squirrels.

nailed it, even a .22lr is illegal.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I would have to ask where you intend to hunt turkeys with your rifle? Under section 311 methods of take for small game animals (turkeys are in the list) rifles are not listed for turkeys. If it is not a listed method of take it is illegal. The only small game listed for rifles is rabbits and squirrels.

7. Likes BigUnInDaBoat, Waterdog, CRABBY liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Scope to hunt turkey?

Well, I suppose the title of this topic is rather telling. That's exactly what I'm looking for. Or rather, an advice. So what is the best scope to chase turkey? I don't think a long range scope is such a good idea, but then again, what if it is? I'm more of a fisher than a hunter, so I'm not all that good in this kind of thing. I suppose I'm going to need a spotting scope but I've already got that covered. I've been thinking about the Vortex 20-6085 spotting scope, which is supposed to be one of the best. But that's only one thing I need, and it's not really all that important. A mounted scope for my rifle is more important at the moment. I've got a Tikka T3 Hunter in .260 Rem by the way. Appreciate any help!