Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What is the Charm of Kokanee

Quote Originally Posted by BigUnInDaBoat View Post
    I mean, my best friends uncle flies model airplanes with a fellow who buys expensive planes, but is not a good RC pilot and ends up crashing most of these expensive toys, just to give them away to other people at the airfield after the crash. Some people have money to burn on the things they like to do.

I love catching Kokes, they fight good, are eager to bite, and are one of the best fish smoked hands down!

I've actually caught more kokes out of a 12' sears aluminum boat, without a fishfinder, with clamp on riggers, and a chart wedding ring. That's less than $600 of tackle, boat, and motor!
    DayHang...that's less then a custom graphite rod right there

Post Thanks / Like

I mean, my best friends uncle flies model airplanes with a fellow who buys expensive planes, but is not a good RC pilot and ends up crashing most of these expensive toys, just to give them away to other people at the airfield after the crash. Some people have money to burn on the things they like to do.

I love catching Kokes, they fight good, are eager to bite, and are one of the best fish smoked hands down!

I've actually caught more kokes out of a 12' sears aluminum boat, without a fishfinder, with clamp on riggers, and a chart wedding ring. That's less than $600 of tackle, boat, and motor!

3. Likes Grncrestliner, ampm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishwrong2 View Post
    Same reasons people get into any other hobby. Starts out as something interesting and grows into a passion.

Kokanee are fairly wide spread around here anyway, good eating, they can go on good bites where you catch a lot of them and for some, it's a social thing. I also think Kokanee fight as hard as rainbows of the same size.

Same questions can be asked of any specific type of fishing. Why is flipping for 1 pound bass with a 2x4 and 80# line fun? Same for hiking miles into the back country to get a 10" trout to eat feathers and glue flung around by a $300 graphite stick.

Long winded way of saying I'm not sure, but it's fun.
    I have a $700 custom graphite stick that I fling feathers for a 4-6" trout, miles out. Very good analogy

5. Likes QueenAnnesRevenge liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have caught 2 Kokes while fishing for trout at Pardee over the years. I want to target them this year. I have a nice smoker and want to check them out smoked. In my experience rainbows aren't that flavorful. I don't have a lot of experience using a down rigger so I'm hoping fishing for Kokes will improve my downrigging skills and at the same time provide some nice fish for the smoker.

7. Likes michaelnel, BigUnInDaBoat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As most have said, kokanee are probably one of the best tasting freshwater fish on the west coast. Trout and bass IMO do not come close in taste (back country brooks and goldens are very close though). Crappie is good and Sacramento perch fried up and thrown in a taco is hard to beat, but kokanee fillets just have the ability to absorb and be garnished by so many other flavors that do not work with other types of fish. Again my opinion.

Yes they fight better than most at that size and really are not to difficult to catch during the summer months. Again, information already shared on this thread.

A different perspective I will throw out is the "cult like" following that surrounds kokanee fishing. Even though rainbow trout are the #1 fish planted in the state, most west coast tackle mfg's make gear primarily focused at the kokanee trolling fishermen. Why? Koke fishermen are a group that has shown that they will spend lots of $$$ for gear. Look at all of the kokanee rods on the market that can only be used for downrigging and cost over $100. Why buy a expensive rod that sits in a rod holder? Why not, I have the money. Ask to see a kokanee angler's tackle boxes. Hundreds of dollars in lures to catch a fish that maybe gets to 16". And then before dropping one of those lures down, one "has" to put a specially formulated scent on their corn or the fish will disappear. Why? I have the money to buy the lures and corn is the gospel in kokanee fishing. Then there is the boats. Why does anyone need a 22' Northriver with full canopy, four downriggers and a small kicker (costing around $50K) that will only see freshwater lakes? Why not, I have the money. To me, there are many similarities I see between the attitudes by some in the fly fishing community and those who fish for kokes......it's like a status thing. Again all this is my opinion.

Want to stir up the ire of a "hardcore" kokanee troller? Ask them about jigging and watch their reaction

Yes, I am a kokanee jigger and proud of it
    Last edited by Snowtrout; 03-23-2017 at 02:17 PM.

9. Likes CrappieJed, BigUnInDaBoat, burninfuel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Very simply, it's the cold beer in warm weather!

11. Likes burninfuel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In my 55 years of fishing I never complained about any fish I caught, (I think). Each one is a blessing. That's why we call ourselves anglers. With that said I get my agits off hunting down double digit German Browns...and for that reason this is something you will not do ever time you go or maybe even every hundred times. 🙄

13. Likes BigUnInDaBoat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I grew up fishing in the south, where choices were pretty limited. .bass, catfish, crappie, once in a while we'd go fish out in the gulf of mexico. So living here opened up a whole range of fish to target..salmon, trout, macs, stripers and land locked salmon. I have been fishing for kokes for abt 4 years, always have a blast with the family, and its fun to target a specific fish with pretty specialized gear and techniques. Sure they dont fight like a striper but they are challenging in their own way. And good eating. Not sure why people want to knock fishing for them but whatever, more left for the rest of us.

15. Likes ASE, BigUnInDaBoat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's just like any other fishing addiction there's always something bigger or harder fighting, but it's the pressure on the rod that gets us all. There is no combat fishing for one, for me I don't like fishing shoulder to shoulder or boat to boat for most salmon/steelhead. I do go after both, but away from most crowds. Take the kids for kokanee and they have a blast. Here in Oregon we have lakes with 25-30 limits, for those who want to stock up on great eating fish. What I like is jigging for them on light rods it's a lot of fun.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

On Stampeed fishin for browns in November we get a few big Kokes on the jig in 20' to 35' along the shore.
    Some at 3# and hooked jawed. Workin big Rapalas, #13 and #18's
    They spawn on the ramp and cover the cement ramp in 10' of water.
    That must be where they were released years earlier

18. Likes michaelnel, BigUnInDaBoat liked this post
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast