Re: Salmon Spinner Questions

Those look like winners monkey 916 Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Don't give up your day job...

3. Likes monkey916 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Pics of a few out of the 50 or so I built in the off season... Bring it...

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk
    " Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it ". - Norman Maclean.

5. Likes dsa2780, BigUnInDaBoat, MKE, USED 2 B IRON liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Silver plated {silvertrons} work best for me.

2. Always double blades but it depends on currents.

3. The fish like blue sometimes, maybe green, pink, red. They arent always the same. My favorite is a bead then a pearl then a bead then a pearl. I catch big girls that way. I think they like the extra bling. I even put an occasional wedding ring on there.

4. Trebles are best for sure and only singles if you have to.

5. Never a hook tube as they absorb the wiggle I think. I run my wire through the eye and under the bottom of the treble and back up through the eye. That gives you a better wiggle that sends out a much better wobble signal??? lol Your hook will always be rigid and straight that way.

When it comes to salmon spinners. Salmon tend to like some better than others alot. I really think it comes from the wobble to attract them. Then they see the colors. But they have long smelled it before the colors so i put a lil something something on the end of the last few beads.

One of my best ways to set up a spinner is 3 beads/small silvertron colorado/4 beads/large silvertron willow/3 beads/treble hook.

But dont forget you have "weighted metal beads" as well that you throw in there to balance your spinner.
    The wobble is the number one thing in a spinner i think.

7. Likes monkey916 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Run then both in the water. I like it tighter so when you are rolling that bait slow that hook doesn't drop down

Post Thanks / Like

Here's the situation... Same lure side by side... 1 lure just split ring... 1 lure swivel + split ring then hook... Do they look to far apart..? The blade to hook gap..?

Hard to tell from the pics I should of hung them up right...

Last edited by monkey916; 03-12-2017 at 01:00 PM.
    " Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it ". - Norman Maclean.

Post Thanks / Like

What do you guys think..? Hook closer to spinner blade..? or further away..? Opinions please... Silvertrons are close as it gets... LoL... I got a old spinner builder saying close as you can get... and newer generation guys looks like they leave some room...

Post Thanks / Like

I'm having a bit of trouble with some of the crimps I'm doing on the salmon spinner's I'm building... On about every other crimp its cocking my straight inline loop... I haven't managed to figure out either a wire position or crimp groove in the crimpers to avoid this... Nothing like ruining a spinner last crimp... Any advise appreciated... Its on the titanium wire...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks fellas... There is definitely a learning curve on building spinners... The actual .035 wire would be easier to work with than the titanium wire if I had a wire former tool... Still contemplating that... All places in town are out... Right now the titanium is easier to work with...Im hoping the titanium is rigid enough for them to run right... Bending that .035 by hand is not easy if you want a good looking loop... I already found out to give myself a little extra for the titanium wire LoL... You'll get a few holes in your fingers if you try to bend a loop in it with not enough extra wire... Only time will tell. They both have pluses and minuses... But if they run right... and the crimps hold up titanium would definitely be the way to go... No more bent spinners would be a good deal... Probably not for lure companies tho... LoL...
    Last edited by monkey916; 02-24-2017 at 11:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Lookin good. Looks like you could start Monkeys Magic Salmon Lure Co. Now for the looooooog wait for the season to start.
    Hunting, Fishing, Labrador Retrievers and a glass of Forty Creek Barrel Select Canadian Whiskey at the end of the day - Life Is Sweet

14. Likes monkey916 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast