Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    i fish, therefore i am.
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best catfish lake in the motherload?

Quote Originally Posted by centerconsole View Post
    HeyWaterdog,

every year I catch my largest on Sardines and Mackerel but my friend uses chicken livers and hes gotten some big ones also i say those three are our favorite baits especially price wise we have also used clams with good results but i dont like dealing with opening them up.

dont go catfishing anywhere without baitfish in my opinion
    Have not tried any clams here in Sac but have used them in the bay area. Fished Uvas dam one year when it was a drought and the lake was just a puddle. a 100 fisherman around the lake. nobody really catching anything. Brother and I drive up park and notice fish jumping all over. At first we thought they were carp jumping but they were actually catfish jumping. We bought a bunch of clams the night before and shucked them and then salted them all and let them sit all night. not marinate in salt but set out each clam separate and salted individually so as to dry them out. lots of fisherman around us were also using clams but not catching anything. as soon as we threw out our poles we stated getting hit immediately. we were catching them hand over fist!!! It was incredible. lots of fisherman learned that day about salting their clams. i cant seem to find bigger clams here in Sac. I have got to try them at Folsom.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigmd77 View Post
    ok catfish folks looking for the best overall catfish lake for not necessarily for size but numbers in the Motherload. I'm willing to put the work in to learn the lake and the spots just picking out of Amador, Commanche, Pardee and Hogan is a little tuff. Im just looking to get me and my son the best chance at catching some kitty, I do have a boat by the way. any help is appreciated.
    Hogan around the rocks in the area they call the narrows. Plan on loosing a few rigs and try to get some unsalted shad if you can for bait.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdog View Post
    Hey Centerconsole, what bait do you use for cats in those 2 lakes. I'm thinking of making a run to Camanche later this year to target cats.

HeyWaterdog,

every year I catch my largest on Sardines and Mackerel but my friend uses chicken livers and hes gotten some big ones also i say those three are our favorite baits especially price wise we have also used clams with good results but i dont like dealing with opening them up.

dont go catfishing anywhere without baitfish in my opinion

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fool4fish View Post
    If weather is not to windy tomorrow then i am going to head over to Beeks Bite and try for both Cats and Bass. Going to try inflated night-crawlers on bottom and chicken liver under a bobber for Cats. Will use night-crawlers under a bobber for Bass which seems to work pretty well as i have seem many Asian fisherman use this method for catching Bass and are very successful. (will probably work also for Cats) Will also use rubber worms. Generally its a little early for the cats but all this rain will probably draw them close to shore. The best time for the cats is when the carp start spawning which is still a little while away when the weather is warmer.
    Thank you for your kind response and good luck on your effort to catch something.

i fish, therefore i am.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Folsomtroller22 View Post
    Most of our outings at Folsom have been for trout and salmon with some bass targeting mixed in. Since the lake has been mixed up pretty well with all the rain and is as dirty as I've seen it in a long time I'm thinking perhaps some catfishing fun may be worthwhile right now and I'm thinking maybe around New York cove. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I know every inch of Folsom but have never tried to catch catfish there. I've marked some very large arches on the bottom in past years and have wondered if they just might be some very well fed catfish?
    If weather is not to windy tomorrow then i am going to head over to Beeks Bite and try for both Cats and Bass.
    Going to try inflated night-crawlers on bottom and chicken liver under a bobber for Cats. Will use night-crawlers under a bobber for Bass which seems to work pretty well as i have seem many Asian fisherman use this method for catching Bass and are very successful. (will probably work also for Cats) Will also use rubber worms.
    Generally its a little early for the cats but all this rain will probably draw them close to shore. The best time for the cats is when the carp start spawning which is still a little while away when the weather is warmer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fool4fish View Post
    I have fished both Camanche and Folsom and have done well at both for Channel Cats. I like using Jumbo minnows and Chicken liver at Folsom and have used inflated night-crawlers at Camanche. Both lakes kick out big cats, generally over 7-8 lbs. Have not been to either this year for cats. i wonder how well the fishing would be since all the rains? I have read that the rain brings lots of food into lake from shore and is a good time to fish for cats. I have not tried that but sounds reasonable.
    Most of our outings at Folsom have been for trout and salmon with some bass targeting mixed in. Since the lake has been mixed up pretty well with all the rain and is as dirty as I've seen it in a long time I'm thinking perhaps some catfishing fun may be worthwhile right now and I'm thinking maybe around New York cove. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I know every inch of Folsom but have never tried to catch catfish there. I've marked some very large arches on the bottom in past years and have wondered if they just might be some very well fed catfish?

Post Thanks / Like

Crawdads are a really overlooked bait for catfish. For many of the places I have fished they are the major forage base.

Live crawdads when available. It is pretty easy to toss out a trap and catch your own.

Tails. Some peel them. I see no reason to do so as cats, bass, strippers, trout can all eat them in the shell.

Artificials work well. River2Sea are stand up baits. They come in different sizes. I have used the smaller size for trout and the larger sizes for strippers as well as cats.

The Gulp salt water shrimp baits also work well. I put in a couple to those rattle tubes from bass fishing and slowly twitch them across the bottom.

I use punch baits and add crawdad scent. Some of these already come with a crawdad scent.

Quote Originally Posted by RideNfish View Post
    Melones has a derby every year just for catfish. Call the Glory Hole Sports up there and they will tell you what works. Better yet go to their website and sign up for their weekly report. They always say how the different species are biting throughout the year. I was drop shotting for spots and instead of using lead for the weight I used a River2sea crawdad as the weight. Was twitching it on the first cast and fought a 14.7 lbs cat for 12 min. I was using 4 lb test.

Here is a video of it.

David

The only time a fisherman is telling the truth is when he calls another fisherman a liar.

8. Likes RideNfish liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Melones has a derby every year just for catfish. Call the Glory Hole Sports up there and they will tell you what works. Better yet go to their website and sign up for their weekly report. They always say how the different species are biting throughout the year. I was drop shotting for spots and instead of using lead for the weight I used a River2sea crawdad as the weight. Was twitching it on the first cast and fought a 14.7 lbs cat for 12 min. I was using 4 lb test.

Here is a video of it.

10. Likes BigUnInDaBoat liked this post
    i fish, therefore i am.
    Post Thanks / Like

I have fished both Camanche and Folsom and have done well at both for Channel Cats. I like using Jumbo minnows and Chicken liver at Folsom and have used inflated night-crawlers at Camanche. Both lakes kick out big cats, generally over 7-8 lbs.
    Have not been to either this year for cats. i wonder how well the fishing would be since all the rains? I have read that the rain brings lots of food into lake from shore and is a good time to fish for cats. I have not tried that but sounds reasonable.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Centerconsole, what bait do you use for cats in those 2 lakes. I'm thinking of making a run to Camanche later this year to target cats.
    Hunting, Fishing, Labrador Retrievers and a glass of Forty Creek Barrel Select Canadian Whiskey at the end of the day - Life Is Sweet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast