Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Garmin in trouble?

The court ruling allows Garmin to go back to the real down viewing transducer that Navico complained about so Garmin will now be allowed to send those transducers to the US again. They will no linger have to use the "stitched" transducer for down view.
    Last edited by OYD; 06-14-2017 at 10:38 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

haha... I saw this too...

The video is still up. they better put it down before the counter-suit comes. What a waste of money. shame on navico/lowrance.

EDIT: actually now that I think of it a bit more, the video only claims that garmin Downvu doesnt give the user the entire image because they stiched two "side-scan" images together, missing out whatever is under the vessel... So ending of the case reveals that they are not infringing anything but is the their Downvu legit? Thats probably something we will never know... :/
    Last edited by steph281086; 06-14-2017 at 06:42 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Senior Member QueenAnnesRevenge's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OYD View Post
    The court has decided this case. Garmin won the suit in court and Navico/Lowrance may be out on a limb for harassing the Garmin dealers if they wish to pursue it. Lowrance had no leg to stand on and evidently were just pissed because the Garmin unit had better resolution based upon comparisons by experts using both companies' units.
    It was hilarious when navico put out a video stating the differences between the 2 products... they're rush to troll Garmin might have cost them that case.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

The court has decided this case. Garmin won the suit in court and Navico/Lowrance may be out on a limb for harassing the Garmin dealers if they wish to pursue it. Lowrance had no leg to stand on and evidently were just pissed because the Garmin unit had better resolution based upon comparisons by experts using both companies' units.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by QueenAnnesRevenge View Post
    If they don't use the same transducer and they use a share overlay with a different name what part of the navico patent are they infringing on?

Not sure what they infringed... Seems like they don't agree with the ITC.
    But they're getting fined. BIG TIME!

http://www.kansascity.com/news/busin...153583564.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by steph281086 View Post
    Interesting, I wonder what the new approach is going to be. Seems like stitching imagery from two side crystals doesn't cut it.

Could this be a reason for the many garmin units on sale?
    Units are on sale because the 2017.5/ 2018 Units are shipping. A certain amount of dealer old stock must be clearanced to make way for new stock.
    Likewise, every review I read about Garmin is positive, especially their customer service not so for lowrance. I've always had and still have lowrance, but my next unit won't be.

8. Likes CRABBY, OYD, steph281086 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OYD View Post
    It is over and done. Garmin is no longer using a down crystal but is approaching down imaging another way. Navico/Lowrance was upset because the Garmin downvision was better than theirs. Some people are upset with Garmin because they did not advertise the change in the transducer crystals.
    Interesting, I wonder what the new approach is going to be. Seems like stitching imagery from two side crystals doesn't cut it.

Could this be a reason for the many garmin units on sale?

Post Thanks / Like

It is over and done. Garmin is no longer using a down crystal but is approaching down imaging another way. Navico/Lowrance was upset because the Garmin downvision was better than theirs. Some people are upset with Garmin because they did not advertise the change in the transducer crystals.

Post Thanks / Like

If they don't use the same transducer and they use a share overlay with a different name what part of the navico patent are they infringing on?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast