Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Line weight for trolling

Quote Originally Posted by Mikfish View Post
    I'll grabbed all the spros they had. Rated at 50lbs. Tiny little buggers.. gonna need magnification to tie them..lol Thanks for the tip!
    I know what you mean, I have a special box in my stuff just to add them to lures using small split rings between (keeps from loosing fish at Pyramid when they do the death roll at the boat). I also tie them between the braid and leader (mono/floro) on my regular shore casting set ups. Worth every penny.........Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jetspray View Post
    You can get the S-Pros in very small sizes that have a bunch of strength (read each pack and look at the ratings). I have found them both at Cabela's and Bass Pro Shops as well as Sportsman's Warehouse. As far as trolling and line diameter I have better depth with the super braids myself, if I troll at 1.8 MPH with the same lure on it drops deeper. I use line counters for the most part while trolling and even when using leadcore line I do not have to look at colors rather the counter to put things down to the same depth each time I let out line..........Jetspray
    I'll grabbed all the spros they had. Rated at 50lbs. Tiny little buggers.. gonna need magnification to tie them..lol Thanks for the tip!

3. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jetspray View Post
    You can get the S-Pros in very small sizes that have a bunch of strength (read each pack and look at the ratings). I have found them both at Cabela's and Bass Pro Shops as well as Sportsman's Warehouse. As far as trolling and line diameter I have better depth with the super braids myself, if I troll at 1.8 MPH with the same lure on it drops deeper. I use line counters for the most part while trolling and even when using leadcore line I do not have to look at colors rather the counter to put things down to the same depth each time I let out line..........Jetspray
    Spro swivels...the best.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snowtrout View Post
    When choosing a line, what characteristics one wants should be the determining factor along with will it be going on a spinning or casting reel. Too often people just go to the store and just buy line, without knowing too much about it or what it is best for, because someone said or the box advertisement convinced them. Then they try it and have a good or terrible experience, but don't understand fully why.

Braid is great for long line trolling, vertical jigging and casting on baitcasters. Little memory, the sensitivity allows one to feel what's going on and the thin diameter cuts through water easier allowing lures to get deeper but braid does not like rocks, nor line twist and the lack of stretch can lead to breakoffs or fish lost.

Mono is a great general purpose line but varies greatly between mfgs and/or a brand's different lines. Some are thick, some are thin, some are stretchy, others not so much, some work great for spinning reels, some are too stiff for spinning reels, memory, color variance, etc.

Fluorocarbon lines are becoming more accepted as people understand its characteristics and the lines evolve. Being denser than mono, fluoro's are more sensitive than mono. They also reflect less than mono making them perfect for clear water bodies of water. A misnomer is that fluoro's have less stretch than mono. Some are but the Seaguar Invisix you are using is one of the more stretchy fluoro's on the market. Bad thing: they are expensive, some will shred like string cheese and if you don't wet your knot when cinching it, the line friction will cause a weak spot.
    The difference between floro and mono line is close to what raw materials are used in their manufacture and how that takes place. Monomers are different in their characteristics and you can see what happens with catalysts and activators in each set of manufacture. Higher cost is a direct effect on the outcome..........Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Post Thanks / Like

When choosing a line, what characteristics one wants should be the determining factor along with will it be going on a spinning or casting reel. Too often people just go to the store and just buy line, without knowing too much about it or what it is best for, because someone said or the box advertisement convinced them. Then they try it and have a good or terrible experience, but don't understand fully why.

Braid is great for long line trolling, vertical jigging and casting on baitcasters. Little memory, the sensitivity allows one to feel what's going on and the thin diameter cuts through water easier allowing lures to get deeper but braid does not like rocks, nor line twist and the lack of stretch can lead to breakoffs or fish lost.

Mono is a great general purpose line but varies greatly between mfgs and/or a brand's different lines. Some are thick, some are thin, some are stretchy, others not so much, some work great for spinning reels, some are too stiff for spinning reels, memory, color variance, etc.

Fluorocarbon lines are becoming more accepted as people understand its characteristics and the lines evolve. Being denser than mono, fluoro's are more sensitive than mono. They also reflect less than mono making them perfect for clear water bodies of water. A misnomer is that fluoro's have less stretch than mono. Some are but the Seaguar Invisix you are using is one of the more stretchy fluoro's on the market. Bad thing: they are expensive, some will shred like string cheese and if you don't wet your knot when cinching it, the line friction will cause a weak spot.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm currently using 15lb power pro ss with 100ft of the 10lb seaguar flouro. I like suffix braid as well. I've used spiderwire flouro once.. the leftover spool has been sitting in my box ever since. I have line counters on both my reels and I was about 200ft back on one and 250 on the other. I don't know for sure I was 12ft down.. but I got snagged on a 12ft low spot, so that's how I came to that conclusion. I was varying my speed, but hooked up at about 2.3 mph close to shore on points and secondary points.
    Sportsman warehouse is in Redding, I'll get me some of the s-pros swivels. Phil's propeller carries just about everything too.

Post Thanks / Like

BTW as far as line manufacture look how it is done. Mono and floro are extruded, if the formulation is of low quality the line has extrusion problems and that is for the most part the amount of stretch and memory (curly screw). Super braids are of a higher quality extrusion method and then braided quickly after the extrusion. The formulation is the most important part, high grade means high cost, both in manufacture and at the store. You kind of get what you pay for. I am not much of a fan of spiderwire, but the suffix lines are a little more forgiving to me..........Jetspray

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Some very interesting points made. I tried both the 6lb and 10. Honestly, I don't think it made a difference as the water is stained somewhat. I got the 6lb snagged and it broke off too easy. I caught a few rainbows, biggest was 2.4lbs. They're pretty much scattered. The only lure that worked for me was a wiggle hoochie with a 2.5" white glow skirt, and a small white slingblade dodger. Bass are up shallow and went nuts on that as well. I was also using a 1/4oz slider sinker to get under the debris. I was probably 12ft down.

I guess the more important question should be the quality of line?.. and swivel! I'll look into those jetspray. I'm using ball bearing, never failed, but they're bigger than I'd like.
    Snowtrout.. I honestly don't know for sure they bit through the line. Both were cut at the trailing hook. Could have been damaged line as well.
    Chartreuse moose.. I've used some heavy line and still caught fish. So I hear what you're saying. 10lb seems to be a happy place for me on shasta for now. I'd probably go lighter if I was fishing on a clear water lake.
    I also frequently hear I need to troll slower. But I've caught fish from 1 to 4mph depending on my lures. I suppose I should just be confident with what's working for me. Jigging?.. lacking confidence there! But I'll keep trying. Any tips?... hehe, doesn't hurt to ask.

11. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I still stick with good swivels that are between the main line and the leader. Cheapo's never do the job right and cause way too much line twist. Since you are not supposed to use lubricants like WD-40 in waters I use approved line lubes to lube up swivels and use good types of swivels like S-Pro types (they have a higher lb rating for their size too)......Jetspray

http://www.cabelas.com/product/SPRO-...-pro%2Bswivels

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast