Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Line weight for trolling

Mikfish,

Fish are curious and are attracted to objects, especially objects that have some type of vibration or flash coming from them. As for being line shy, all depends on water clarity and does that line affect the lures movement. Tahoe is an example of a extremely clear lake where line size or line color can make a difference, especially when fishing shallower than 50' (my opinion).

Often overlooked is how line size or attachment to a lure affects a lure's action. Use 17lb test with a #14 fly and see if it looks natural when presented. Tie your line directly to a Rapala with a tight knot (no snap or split ring) and watch the action diminish or even disappear (can be desired by some anglers though).

Also, if fish are breaking your hoochie with a 10lb mono leader off, you either have bad line, tied a bad knot or the spinner abraded your line, causing a weak spot. Again a opinion, but you might want to check those things.

2. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Owlman2 View Post
    Trolling for browns when a big fish is possible....I use 15# braid with a 50 foot 8# flouro leader. Assuming I am in fairly obstacle free water....that is enough to handle a very big fish.
    The thinner and stronger the line the deeper you go when top lining. Twisted mono without swivels is the worst in my book it brings things to the surface and binds things up and weakens the line because of all of the extra stress on the line and it stretches.........Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Post Thanks / Like

Trolling for browns when a big fish is possible....I use 15# braid with a 50 foot 8# flouro leader. Assuming I am in fairly obstacle free water....that is enough to handle a very big fish.

5. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ive been using Cajun Red advantage in 10 pound for trolling. Been using the advantage fo a long time its been real good for me. Diameter:0.305 mm no memory been great. I like it because it is a co-polymer and is not stiff like mono or fluorocarbon. A lot of people seem to hate cajun red mono with I agree with them but the co-polymer is good.
    I also agree with snowtrout I feel the line diameter is more important. So for me until they mess up the advantage I dont see much of a need for me to change lines and is what I recommend.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, let's see.

1st I have never have come across a line shy fish.I fish all over Oregon and California for Bull Trout, Lakers, Browns, and Rainbows using

1. 40 Lb A-Tom-Mik Copper line
    2. 30 Ln Stainless Steel line by Malin
    3. 20 Lb Mono on 12 main rods

3' Planner boards off a mast
    Dipsy Divers
    Slide Divers

I sure don't have a problem landing fish. I read about guys that what to feel the fight, and for Kokanee I can understand but any other species trolling I run Great lakes style fishing. If I wanted to feel the fight I would get a fly rod .

I have had plenty of guys on my boat and not once have I heard one say I want to feel the fight and I am 71

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice guys. The water is still somewhat stained, so I'm thinking I can get away with 10lb for now, which is .011 in diameter. I have 8lb and now 6lb in case I feel I need it. I'm not a huge fan of mono except for kokes. I've lost a few trout and salmon that bit through my mono leaders when using hoochies. So, I pretty much stick to fluorocarbon. Seems to be more abrasion resistant. I think I'll try 6lb on one rod and 10lb on another using same bait and see which one hooks up more. Here's another question.. Why would trout shy away from line when there's a lot of other hardware we drag around as well? Like sinkers for depth, beads, dodgers with huge swivels on them. Might be a dumb question, but why are trout so wary of line when attracted to everything else. I brought my fish hawk up from 200ft depth and had a huge rainbow follow it to the surface. Blew me away seeing a big trout attracted to a shapeless fish hawk that looks like a black key floater. Just curious what you all think. Thanks again for your response!

Post Thanks / Like

If using bait, 4-6lb line. The light line will allow the bait to float or move around more freely than a heavier line.

If trolling, 8-10lb line. Light lines have too much line stretch and the slightest rub on anything can lead to a break off. 8-10lb seems to be a good happy medium for most lakes.

I mostly use 10lb mono and occasionally use 10lb braid with a 8lb leader while trolling for trout and kokanee.

More importantly than line weight is line diameter. Some companies lines are thicker than others at a stated weight and others (Maxima) are actually larger than their stated diameter.
    Examples:
    Berkley XL 10lb=.011, .28mm
    Berkley 100% Fluoro=.012, .30mm
    Berkley Big Game 10lb=.012, .31mm
    Berkley XT 10lb=.014, .35mm

To me, looking at a line's diameter is more important than line weight.
    Last edited by Snowtrout; 04-20-2017 at 11:07 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

For trout or kokes I use #8 mono. I think you need some stretch or you'll risk pulling the hook out, flouro is too stiff imo.

Post Thanks / Like

i agree with some of the others. my main line is 8lb. with a 4 or 6 flouro leader to my offering. of course i am almost never in a spot where i would have to slug it out with a double digit fish. but have easily handled planter size up to 6# or so with these. may also depend some on how forgiving your rod is?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDave View Post
    Stick with the 10 pound main line and experiment with different fluorocarbon leaders.
    +1 on lighter leaders .

13. Likes FISHERPRICE liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast