Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Constitution PV cow town report

Amazing!
    I've heard great things about Capt. Keith so I booked a 3.5 day in September. I never knew he operated out of PV, so thanks for that info. Looks like I need to keep building my arsenal to be able to haul in Cows that size.

Post Thanks / Like

Constitution PV cow town report

You're definitely looking for a bigger fish when jigging in the dark, so your heavier 50 setup should work just fine with mono 130-200lb leader, or you can go same class fluro leader, as a quick switch for sinker bait or flyline bait rigs after grey light, plus flouro is tougher, about 10'-12' or so does the trick. You can still be ok with 30 set up, it just might be a longer grind if you hook up a giant, TL!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by oceansprint; 05-12-2017 at 12:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oceansprint View Post
    Heru skipjack poppers, the bigger ones, proved to be working really well. Make sure you have solid hardware on those, like #8-#10 owners hyperwire split rings, 6/0-7/0 Bkk raptor z trebles, or 11/0 Bkk inline singles, as those beasts pull really hard. I felt like my Black Hole cape cod 7'6" PE 9 paired with Shimano twin powers spooled with 250 yrds of #80 would handle fish up to #150 if so. Gotta go heavier for the next trip, and sounds like Phenix and makaira spinner can be matched pretty good for that. I know there are some options out there gotta do more research.

There is a very narrow window for popping when you get on top of them at feeding frenzy. It happened for us in the afternoon hours when the wind picked up, and we would slide balloons/kites with the wind on to them, and hope the bait keeps heading your way, so you get close to casting distance. That doesn't happen every time, maybe 1-2 times per day if you lucky, and you have about 3-4 casts at them maybe, before they move past, and it happens super quick, so you gotta be ready. I wish I had some videos of that, and top water action, it's just such a thrill to see them crush your popper with some authority, just amazing. So that's the fun part)

There is a lot more to it when it comes to fighting the fish and bringing it to the gaf, since this is not a rail rod, and you'd need to use a fighting belt or even harness, when you can't really chase the fish from the boat, as other lines are in. It can be quite a challenging task, and you probably want the fish gaffed from the stern of the boat at a better angle. You definitely want the fish come to you where you want it, not the other way around. I can tell, that needs more practice, for sure!

You can also jig in am hours with PL68 glow jig the bigger the better, as you drop it down 40-45 fathoms, use a black light flashlight to charge it.

Hope this helps, TL!

Awesome! Thanks for the intel.

I've used the glow flat falls but never the PL68. I'll be bringing some of those as well. I'm pretty sure the Apollo has really nice boat gear. Makaira SEa reels and Phenix Axis rods.

What's the set up for the PL68? As far as reel size and line. I've had some friends say you need a 30 sized reel and can use a short 130-200lb mono leader, since it's mainly in the dark kind of deal..
    DELTA WOOD BOMBERS PRO STAFF

Post Thanks / Like

Constitution PV cow town report

Heru skipjack poppers, the bigger ones, proved to be working really well. Make sure you have solid hardware on those, like #8-#10 owners hyperwire split rings, 6/0-7/0 Bkk raptor z trebles, or 11/0 Bkk inline singles, as those beasts pull really hard. I felt like my Black Hole cape cod 7'6" PE 9 paired with Shimano twin powers spooled with 250 yrds of #80 would handle fish up to #150 if so. Gotta go heavier for the next trip, and sounds like Phenix and makaira spinner can be matched pretty good for that. I know there are some options out there gotta do more research.

There is a very narrow window for popping when you get on top of them at feeding frenzy. It happened for us in the afternoon hours when the wind picked up, and we would slide balloons/kites with the wind on to them, and hope the bait keeps heading your way, so you get close to casting distance. That doesn't happen every time, maybe 1-2 times per day if you lucky, and you have about 3-4 casts at them maybe, before they move past, and it happens super quick, so you gotta be ready. I wish I had some videos of that, and top water action, it's just such a thrill to see them crush your popper with some authority, just amazing. So that's the fun part)

There is a lot more to it when it comes to fighting the fish and bringing it to the gaf, since this is not a rail rod, and you'd need to use a fighting belt or even harness, when you can't really chase the fish from the boat, as other lines are in. It can be quite a challenging task, and you probably want the fish gaffed from the stern of the boat at a better angle. You definitely want the fish come to you where you want it, not the other way around. I can tell, that needs more practice, for sure!

You can also jig in am hours with PL68 glow jig the bigger the better, as you drop it down 40-45 fathoms, use a black light flashlight to charge it.

Hope this helps, TL!

Last edited by oceansprint; 05-12-2017 at 10:18 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Such an EPIC trip! Congrads on the Cow and PB!

I'm booked on the Apollo out of PV, April of next Year. So stoked! This will be my first true shot at a cow.

I myself am a TopWater junkie...your tales of huge popper fish just got my blood boiling. Can you elaborate on the tactics, gear and tackle failure?

I plan on putting together a new popper kit for next years PV trip. I'm thinking Phenix Megalodon rod with a Makaira spinner, 100# line..
    DELTA WOOD BOMBERS PRO STAFF

Post Thanks / Like

Some videos coming up!

Post Thanks / Like

We fished Tres Marias islands north west of PV overnight ride, the north island for the most part, targeting giant YFTs. No other species this time, I believe they picked up a nice sword around #100 several weeks ago, that was spotted on surface during day time, and was offered a lively meal it couldn't resist.

Really unique spot, I understand with all local habitat, where tunas grow fast and get fat. Those freshly caught had pounds of baitfish and squid coming out just with a hose wash.

This is probably a 10-12 trip out of SD on LR boats, whereas with Constitution you fly in and it's only 3.5 day, which is more affordable as well. You can stay at the resort where the boat docks in Nueva Vallarta. Captain Keith runs an awesome operation with his crew, and they put you on fish, everybody works hard at it, and numbers speak for itself.

We were quite lucky to get as many cows, they also had few super cows around #350s and a mega cow #413 this past season from October to May in PV. They are back in SD for the summer at H & M. I know their trips book fast, some just charter the boat and bring their crew.

I'd definitely do it again, those tunas get you hooked, for sure, TL!

8. Likes brokea--boater, wckid, Troutbead liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Trip of a lifetime.....

Thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like

Hell ya Roman, stoked for you Bro. What were some of the other fish caught? Also where were the stops? Some good reports coming out for the LR fleet, good job man,,,gregg

11. Likes oceansprint liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Badass fish man!

13. Likes oceansprint liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast