Post Thanks / Like

Re: Berkeley Pier Status?

You can still fish any public pier or jetty within the bay without a license.

2. Likes Polebrother liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

"The*Berkeley Pier*is unique in that you do not need a*fishing license*to fish off of the pier."

Came across this searching a while back ironically (not from a government webpage though...). Don't know if/when they reopen it'll hold true though.

4. Likes Polebrother liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This thread brings back memory's. In to 60's when I was in high school and college I spent many a day fishing the pier and the frontage along that area. Other than the marina there was nothing else out there. There were no restaurants or paved parking lots there. Nothing but the pier and places to fish along that area. I caught a variety out there, sharks, rays, striper, halibut and others I don't remember.
    On weekends the pier was usually packed with people fishing. I hope it reopens as the bay really needs places for both adults and kids to fish. I don't know if it changed or not but back in the day a fishing license was not required to fish from the pier.
    Hunting, Fishing, Labrador Retrievers and a glass of Forty Creek Barrel Select Canadian Whiskey at the end of the day - Life Is Sweet

6. Likes Polebrother liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The first place I even fished from was that pier. It wasn't built to be a fishing pier though, it was originally part of a ferry boat operation to the city, the rest of that pier extends at least a mile past the fishing pier, I guess the ferry boats needed deeper water. I believe the bay bridge made the ferry operation obsolete and the rest is history.

8. Likes Polebrother liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It was very packed when the halibut ran.

10. Likes Polebrother liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Never been on that pier and was surprised when Andrew Xplosive told me it closed. Must have been a site when it was first built and extended what seems a mile out into the bay. I wonder if it was ever packed with fisherman?

12. Likes Polebrother liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Berkeley Pier Status?

Anyone else wondering if the historic Berkeley Pier will ever open again to anglers, tourists, etc.? It closed July 2015 after being deemed unsafe due to structural issues. I did a quick search for an update and long story short bureaucratic city red tape implies little progress has been made to reopen the iconic East Bay landmark...lack of funds to accomplish the needed repairs being the main shortfall.

I'm guessing several readers here, like me, have wet a line at the Berkeley Pier at some point in time, adding value to their angling experience. Having grown up in the East Bay, I fished the pier as a teen and also as an adult and really appreciate having had that experience. Bay Area youth, and untold categories of others, are being deprived of vast opportunities associated with an open and functioning Berkeley Pier.

That said, is there any concerted effort among anglers (and others) pushing for the pier's reopening at the earliest date possible?

Pie in the sky proposal: To find the money necessary to fix the pier, the City of Berkeley should sell the naming rights of the Berkeley Pier to one of the many billion dollar companies that currently prosper in the Bay Area. Professional sports stadiums have been doing so for years while amassing millions of dollars in revenue. So, why not do the same for the Berkeley Pier? Revenues resulting from same could be used to fix and reopen the pier.

Imagine, for example, the "Pixar Berkeley Pier"; the "Google Berkeley Pier"; or the "Apple Berkeley Pier", etc. In addition to a prominent and attractive archway entrance to the pier proudly bearing the company's name, unmistakable company logo's could be placed at key intervals throughout the length of the pier, external and internal, visible to off-pier onlookers, marine passersby, and of course the thousands of anglers and tourists who will visit and use the pier annually when it reopens. If such capital does not materialize, I'm fearful the Berkeley Pier will forever remain closed, reflecting a shameful and all too familiar bureaucratic gridlock that benefits no one.

A little context: Warriors: Soon to be gone from the East Bay. Raiders: Soon to be gone from the Bay Area. Berkeley Pier: Soon to be (fill in the blank).

In fishing, I throw myself away and find myself again and again.

14. Likes Waterdog liked this post