Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly delivery

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fly delivery

Thanks so much for all of your replys to my question I did get rid of the tapper and tied directly to the leader. By the time I changed enough flies I ended up with a shorter leader and that really helped.Again thanks and I know I will be back

Post Thanks / Like

If your fly is heavy, large, or wind resistant, you may need to build your own leader. For surface striper flies I go 2' 40#, 2' 25#, 2' 15#. That will turn over most any fly. For subsurface I use 10# - 15# P-Line or Seaguar flourocarbon leader stock, no taper. i never use more than 6' of leader on any subsurface fly with stained waters, or an a surface popper.

Post Thanks / Like

Your rig looks good and should be able to handle large bass lures like frogs. And yes, it is often hard to get a rod to load properly at short casting distances. Compounding the problem is that most modern graphite rods are very fast acton/ stiff rods meant to cast flies at distance (say for stripers or steelhead). If you are having trouble it may be the front taper on your flyline is too long and tapering (typically called a "dry fly taper"). You might consider buying a "bass taper" that puts much more weight in the forward part of the line and has a shorter front taper to help turn over big bugs. If you are consistently fishing at shorter distances (say all day from a boat in the Delta) you could also consider stepping up the weight of your line one size. This will help load the rod on short casts.

Finally, all flies are not equal. Some bass bugs (deerhair) can soak up a lot water if not properly dressed with floatants. Closed cell foam bodied flies may cast better for you. Also, all flies are not all equally wind resistant (aerodynamic). Bottom line: it takes some experimentation to find the most successful combination for the waters you fish.

Post Thanks / Like

There is absolutely no reason you need 6' of tippet on top of your 7' leader when you're bass fishing. Get rid of the tippet altogether. Get more line out so you can load the rod (in fly fishing, the line is how you load the rod). Also, go to you tube and look up "Double Haul". Learning to haul line will make throwing big bugs easier

5. Likes Waterdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck McCoy View Post
    I am having trouble with a #2 Umqua frog. When I do my back cast with 12' of line(including the leader and tippett) the lure doesnt go but about 2' off the ground through the cast. What am I doing wrong?
    in addition to the other suggestions, trying using a furled leader. It really helps turn those big flies over. In addition they absorbed much of the shock a big fish will put on your line

you can make them yourself or purchase them on-line. I use John Quigleys

http://www.twistedleaders.com/index.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macfish View Post
    I agree that you are not loading the rod in a back cast with that short of line outside the tip. Depending on the rod, they all take a certain amount of head weight to get the mechanics to work. Take some time working on roll casting the heavy flies. Watch some you tube videos on double haul, and single hand spey casting.
    Thanks for your reply. I do agree that I did not have enough line out to start a cast.Definitely not enough for a roll cast. Again thanks for the reply

Post Thanks / Like

Line weight is based on the first 30' of line. So, trying to cast without much line outside the guides is problematic. Big bugs only make it worse.

9. Likes Waterdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree that you are not loading the rod in a back cast with that short of line outside the tip. Depending on the rod, they all take a certain amount of head weight to get the mechanics to work. Take some time working on roll casting the heavy flies. Watch some you tube videos on double haul, and single hand spey casting.

11. Likes Waterdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MKE View Post
    What weight is your fly rod. It may be to light to cast heavy bugs.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk
    I have a 8W rod,9 floatin line, RIO striper leader 7' 12 lb tippett 6'

Post Thanks / Like

more line out...or water load.
    With a leader(9'ish?) and only 3' of fly line out, there's not enough weight to load the rod and make it work.

and as MKE said... rod weight. I have to use a 8 wt and up to throw large flies. Good casters can use lightweight stuff, but it takes skills I've yet to discover.
    Last edited by Rockit73; 05-13-2017 at 11:46 AM.

14. Likes Waterdog liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast