Post Thanks / Like

Re: Kayak fishing setups?

i just wonder about getting it ontop of my prius solo, also I hate racks :\

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf74 View Post
    Good ideas. I do plan on adding the rails as they seem to be pretty handy for various things. That being said, would bolts or rivets be the better option?
    Better late than never....but I recommend getting some tracks from Yak Attack. I have used them and they are awesome. I think they are better than rails; more low profile.

Post Thanks / Like

Good ideas. I do plan on adding the rails as they seem to be pretty handy for various things. That being said, would bolts or rivets be the better option?
    Rivets

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Caliyak is right to much stuff can be a a distraction and i find myself getting tangled up on stuff a lot if there is too much stuff added. Honestly the best anchor set up that I have had was one that I made myself. I made my own anchor trolly through the handles and just use a 10lbs dumbbell (which maybe a little to much to be honest). Other than that I keep it pretty simple, although I did recently upgrade my seat with one I found at a local walmart which seems to be working pretty well. If you add the rails you should post some pictures, I always like seeing what works for others cause it gives me new ideas all the time. Good luck with your yak!

Post Thanks / Like

I have rails everywhere. The eBay cheapos are fine.

I typically bass fish, so I don't want to be anchored, but need something to slow my drift in current and wind. I built a drift anchor with a 15' retractable dog leash and 2' of chain. Put the chain in a bike inner tube and seal the ends. Clip on the dog leash and drop over the side. It slows me down a ton and can be adjusted to control speed. Rarely gets hung up and only cost a few bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Hey y'all, I'm new to kayaking and had a few questions since I'm now starting to setup my boat. I plan on setting up an anchor trolley but was unsure as to whether rivets or nuts/bolt are the best way to secure the hardware. I was planning on adding marine goop to seal it off but was wondering what the best option was. I was also curious as to how many people used anchor poles. They seem like a great idea, however I'm not sure if water is generally too deep while yaking out in the delta.
    My yak also doesn't come with accessory rails and I was wondering what system is most cost effective. I like the Yak-attack rails but they are quite pricey. I was thinking Scotty or the house brand from Bass Pro might be a better option. eBay also sells an unbranded set of rails that looks almost identical to the Scotty variety. Can anyone give me a bit of insight on rails? Thanks, I'll post more questions as they come up.
    welcome to the yak addiction. You will find yourself adding and taking off equipment often. I started off with some gear but ended up going minimal. You can have an anchor trolley without drilling holes in your yak. I went from my front handle to my back handle. I refuse to make holes in my yak. As for anchor pole, no need for me. I can control my yak with my paddle. Again, minimal.
    As for the rails, my yak comes with it. I recommend getting the yak attack or scotty brand. Again, if you are going to drill holes, better be for the good stuff. The rails are great to use for everything. I added my camera, rod holder and fish finder to the rail. I also tie down my crate to the rail.
    The best advice I can give; get out on the water, look to see what you need and then decide what is important to you. I can probably fish the delta with what I have on my yak now. You need to be comfortable and confident. Too much stuff might be a distraction. Go out with all your gear once and then go out with minimal gear and see which you like more.
    Hope this helps. PM if you need help.

Post Thanks / Like

Kayak fishing setups?

Hey y'all, I'm new to kayaking and had a few questions since I'm now starting to setup my boat. I plan on setting up an anchor trolley but was unsure as to whether rivets or nuts/bolt are the best way to secure the hardware. I was planning on adding marine goop to seal it off but was wondering what the best option was. I was also curious as to how many people used anchor poles. They seem like a great idea, however I'm not sure if water is generally too deep while yaking out in the delta.
    My yak also doesn't come with accessory rails and I was wondering what system is most cost effective. I like the Yak-attack rails but they are quite pricey. I was thinking Scotty or the house brand from Bass Pro might be a better option. eBay also sells an unbranded set of rails that looks almost identical to the Scotty variety. Can anyone give me a bit of insight on rails? Thanks, I'll post more questions as they come up.