Post Thanks / Like

Re: SP Minnow Modifications for Stripers

Quote Originally Posted by ucsbfisherman View Post
    Has anyone had success with modifications to their SPs like the ones in this video?

https://youtu.be/z0aKy806g5o

I was out in Pacifica today fishing a new SP I just picked up. (Green top w/ clear body). I landed one shaker but I lost two fish and it's just bugging me; I'm wondering if I should try to modify the lure for better hooksets. The only thing I worry about is that this video is from an East Coaster I think, and their stripers are generally much larger, so I don't know if the mod would work well here. Would love to hear your guys thoughts or advice on this!

I always upgrade them with VMC hooks as well as the split rings, the stock hooks will bend if you hook a big one.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice, QueenAnnesRevenge. Went back out today for a few hours. Switched to inline 4/0 singles, with the upper one attached to a swivel. Landed my first ocean keeper of the year.

Snapchat-738753978.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by QueenAnnesRevenge View Post
    Inline singles fly better, hook better(corner of mouth) and cause less fatalities. Don't worry about left coast vs right coast. Stripers are stripers

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    I was actually thinking about this. I rigged one of my SP-style lures with those but lost it today. :/ What size would you use? I'm thinking 4/0s.

Senior Member QueenAnnesRevenge's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Inline singles fly better, hook better(corner of mouth) and cause less fatalities. Don't worry about left coast vs right coast. Stripers are stripers

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

SP Minnow Modifications for Stripers

Has anyone had success with modifications to their SPs like the ones in this video?

https://youtu.be/z0aKy806g5o

I was out in Pacifica today fishing a new SP I just picked up. (Green top w/ clear body). I landed one shaker but I lost two fish and it's just bugging me; I'm wondering if I should try to modify the lure for better hooksets. The only thing I worry about is that this video is from an East Coaster I think, and their stripers are generally much larger, so I don't know if the mod would work well here. Would love to hear your guys thoughts or advice on this!