Post Thanks / Like

Re: Completely new to fly fishing, and I have questions

Orvis may still have free starter classes, call them and make a appointment. If they do, and you make the appointment don't blow it off, the people who teach do it voluntarily.
    Have patience, its not something you will pick up quickly , you will get frustrated. The right rod and line makes a huge difference. No you don't have to buy high end stuff, but the fly line has to work with the rod. Its OK to use "used". Sometimes it helps to up size the line to start with. 5wt rod get a 6wt line. If you live in Sac. get down the the AR and practice, practice, practice. Ask for some help, there will be many people that will help when something is "running" in the river, like shad right now. Don't step in below someone, give them a lot of room. Most are fishing 60+ ft below them.

Post Thanks / Like

What everyone said is right on. When I first started, I bought an Orvis starter fly kit which included EH Caddis, PMD, prince, adams, midge and a few others I can't remember. It was fairly cheap and should work on most of the rivers in the sierra's.

Post Thanks / Like

We need WAY more information on what you're looking for before we can give you solid advice. While an encounter might be a good option (and its a great entry rod), it might not be the right rod for your casting stroke. You may find a fiberglass or super slow full flex rod (like the Orvis Superfine) to be a better fit. You need to get a feel for what you want first.

Also, flies will depend on where you're fishing. Catskill style dry flies (Adams or Royal Wulf or many many others) and a pheasant tail or rabbits ear nymph dropper will work most of the time (if you size them right), if you're fishing waters that have mayfly hatches. But if you're fishing Pyramid Lake for cuttys, you're going to want something entirely different.

Where are you going to be fishing and what types of waters?

Post Thanks / Like

What they said for sure. If you have a fly fishing buddy he just might have an extra set up, or 15.

If you do get that set up start out with a few dries. Like a few elk hair caddis, adams, hoppers, and stimulaters should get you started if fishing for trout.

Then it's time on the water. Get out and put what you learn from others to work on the water. Then one day you will get it. That's if you get into it, not all people do.

As far as money goes you can keep it basic if you go to some locale spots. But buying flies gets to be very expensive. It's worth every penny and satisfaction to tie your own.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MKE; 07-13-2017 at 05:22 PM.

5. Likes Waterdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know what area you are in but if close to Sacramento check out Kienes fly shop web site. They offer a couple of different beginner classes. They offer beginners introduction classes and beginners on the water classes. An excellent way to get started and learn a lot and you will learn a bunch in these classes and it will be with beginners so you won't feel intimidated.
    Hunting, Fishing, Labrador Retrievers and a glass of Forty Creek Barrel Select Canadian Whiskey at the end of the day - Life Is Sweet

Post Thanks / Like

What Waterdog said is spot on. Ive seen it several times someone new to fly fishing all excited to start a new way to fish getting sold stuff they will never use and sold stuff sometimes for way more then it is worth. Bass pro even has a fly shop that is not to bad for help but I would go to a specialized fly shop and seek out the instruction and basics.
    Seen lot of people buy and try and walk away due to being frustrated due to not having anyone to work with them and teach them.

8. Likes MKE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Your question is huge, a book could be written trying to answer it, I'm not trying to be funny I'm trying to be informative. Don't buy any flys yet. In fact don't buy any equipment yet. You need to get some basic knowledge to make an informed decision on rod, reel, line, leader, flys and so on. Your fly selection will depend on where you're fishing, time of year you're fishing, what you are fishing for and the hatches happening when you are fishing a certain area.
    Fly fishing has become somewhat complex but once you get the basics it will all fall into place.
    If you know someone who is a fly fisher and will take you fishing you can learn a lot from that. For starters I suggest you get a good book on basic fly fishing. Do a google search for beginner fly fishing books, or basic fly fishing books or whatever. You can also get instructional fly fishing videos. I would use a book as my primary source of information and videos to supplement the book.
    Call some fly shops and ask if they have beginning fly fishing classes. Many have on the water classes with expert fly fishers and guides. You can find one on one or classes with multiple beginners. Check the websites of various fly shops, they usually have descriptions of the various classes they offer.
    The Orvis encounter is probably a pretty good starter rod. I assume you are considering a combination that includes rod, reel, line. A 5 wt or 6 wt is a good general rod for trout in lakes and streams. Again hold off on this until you acquire some basic knowledge. If you buy flys and equipment before you have acquired sufficient basic knowledge you'll probably be sorry.
    So to sum up get a good book on fly fishing basics, get some instructional videos to supplement the book, take some classes offered through fly shops then decide on equipment and flys. Once you get a fly rod the first class I'd try to find would be a fly casting class. Can't do much of anything until you learn to cast fly rods and casting techniques. Once you learn the basics you'll be hooked on fly fishing for life. Good luck, tight lines.
    Hunting, Fishing, Labrador Retrievers and a glass of Forty Creek Barrel Select Canadian Whiskey at the end of the day - Life Is Sweet

10. Likes Merle, MKE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Completely new to fly fishing, and I have questions

In the next day or two I'm going to purchase my first fly fishing setup (Orvis Encounter 9ft 5wt) And I'm hopefully going to learn how to fly fish and enjoy it :)

But I have a bunch of questions, mainly regarding the flies. I'm going to be doing a lot of trout fishing hopefully through all the seasons and I'm not sure what flies to be using. I also don't really get the difference between the types of flies and what I should be using when. I get dry flies sit on top of the water and wet flies are under the surface, but thats about it. A friend of mine said wooly buggers are good for trout, but I really don't know what else. To start I plan on purchasing the flies, currently I don't have the cash or time to invest into fly tying :( So what should I buy?

Other than the flies I know the setup comes with the rod, reel, case, backing, and line but I'll have to buy a leader material, what should I get?

Thanks