Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Senior Member Captain Compassion's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: HWY 88/89 lake action?

whalonem +1

CC
    Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish. -- Ovid

2. Likes Waterdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's my spin on the discussion concerning Caples and Silver Lake vs. the Macks. First off a little history, I have lived at Plasses Resort now for every summer for 27 years and fish more than anyone at the resort. I also held the lake record for a mack for some time years ago. The long and short of it on Silver is simply what the DF&W puts into the lake. The lake has become a put and take impoundment. If you consider all the fish kills in the hatchery, money problems, and the drought and if you apply these issues to the trends of your fishing success they coincide exactly to that success. The planting of Macks in Silver has nothing to do with the trout numbers. Not to many of you may know that DFW does not plant Browns in Silver anymore , so the problem with no Browns is a result of DFW decisions. I have noted that in fact the numbers of Macks in Silver is also on the decline. Macks pods used to be all over the place, now I see very few. With regards to feed in the lake, the dam place is loaded with chubs. You don't think that a mack laying in the grass is more likely to pick off a school of chubs vs. a single trout. Another big factor is population. Silver has gotten on the radar scale screen and every time a plant truck pulls into Kays the parking lot is full and the bank lined up. Is it fare to blame the macks for this mess, I blame DFW!!!! I would rather catch a mack vs. a 10 in. white meated trout with no fins or tail. Whalonem

4. Likes Genius, Waterdog, muledeer12 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Its sad that such a beautiful lake is no longer fun to fish. I keep going each year after the thaw but not sure if I will continue to go for few fish.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that's pathetic but they need catchable fish in that lake. They need fish that will grow. I don't mind fishing for macs when I'm there but it the rainbows are nonexistent. Just a few years ago they stocked with great size rainbows.

Senior Member Captain Compassion's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Genius View Post
    Did they ever end up stocking Caples last week? Heard they were doing Caples and Silver but don't think Caples got any.

What difference does it make? The fish stocked by the CDFW out or the American/Nimbus hatchery are so small that it's not really worth fishing for them. This is what they stocked into ICR last week.

CC
    Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish. -- Ovid

Post Thanks / Like

Did they ever end up stocking Caples last week? Heard they were doing Caples and Silver but don't think Caples got any.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappieJed View Post
    Spot on...
    at one time know one fished the three main lakes on 88 as much as I did. I too had a cabin above pioneer for 17 years. It was very common catch 10lb plus browns. Caples never been as good as Bear river at that time. I remember when the invasive char was put into bear river and I went ballistic. The arguments I had with fish n game were extremely heated. You see some anglers and fish n game saw how good the invasive char fishing is in Lake Tahoe and thought heck let's do the same thing on the 3 lakes on 88. Horrible decision. Even though I hate see a lake killed off but I would be in favor see the 3 lakes killed off get the char out of there start over. Get the tui chub started back up plant Browns and eagle lake rainbows and even kokes. But first before rotenone and other fish pesticides killers are applied shock the crap out of the lakes and save as much wanted bait and gamefish you can and feed the char to the lions bears coyotes and coons. I know I will piss some guys off but...CARE!
    All the macks I catch go to the Lake Tahoe Wildlife Care to feed the bears, eagles, racoons, coyotes, and what ever else they got.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishwrong2 View Post
    Isn't that what happened with Caples and Red Lake?

Red was replanted with Cutthroat, but hasn't been great. Caples was replanted with Rainbows and Browns. Baitfish and crawdads are back in Caples in a big way, but many complain its not good ( some have said theyre doing well), i havent fished it this year so cant say, but it doesnt stop the frustration.

My 2 cents is appreciate what's there, it will never be "the good old days", and "they" aren't as stupid as they get credit for.
    yes they were replanted but did nothing stop the problem, riding the char that has gobbled Up the main forage that the trophy trout relied on to get big. That's why you don't even see really big char either most are stunted big flat heads skinny bodies. Char do really good in big huge monster lakes but not the smaller ones.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappieJed View Post
    Spot on...
    at one time know one fished the three main lakes on 88 as much as I did. I too had a cabin above pioneer for 17 years. It was very common catch 10lb plus browns. Caples never been as good as Bear river at that time. I remember when the invasive char was put into bear river and I went ballistic. The arguments I had with fish n game were extremely heated. You see some anglers and fish n game saw how good the invasive char fishing is in Lake Tahoe and thought heck let's do the same thing on the 3 lakes on 88. Horrible decision. Even though I hate see a lake killed off but I would be in favor see the 3 lakes killed off get the char out of there start over. Get the tui chub started back up plant Browns and eagle lake rainbows and even kokes. But first before rotenone and other fish pesticides killers are applied shock the crap out of the lakes and save as much wanted bait and gamefish you can and feed the char to the lions bears coyotes and coons. I know I will piss some guys off but...CARE!

Isn't that what happened with Caples and Red Lake?

Red was replanted with Cutthroat, but hasn't been great. Caples was replanted with Rainbows and Browns. Baitfish and crawdads are back in Caples in a big way, but many complain its not good ( some have said theyre doing well), i havent fished it this year so cant say, but it doesnt stop the frustration.

My 2 cents is appreciate what's there, it will never be "the good old days", and "they" aren't as stupid as they get credit for.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hammerdog View Post
    The macs have been there longer than the transplant, but now they have taken over. I live in Pioneer and have been fishing Silver Lake for years. Macs took over after the transplant. I watched Fish and Game and some volunteers transplant some very large macs into Silver when they drained Caples. The browns and rainbow trout declined about (3) years after the transplant. Not the same lake. I have not caught a brown there for about 4 years.
    Spot on...

13. Likes burninfuel liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast