Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    aka sschefer
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pop Up trailers.....thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by redneckpunk View Post
    Update:

We found a perfect size pop-up that we are hoping meets are needs. It was actually the first one we looked at, but the price was just too high. After looking at numerous models and deciding what we wanted it came down to only a couple things; 1) had to fit in the garage, 2) it's mainly a dry warm bed for late fall and early spring camping, 3) canvas in good shape. Everything else is a luxury or can be dealt with. After getting tired of dealing with flakey people on Craigslist and Facebook, to seller sent a text message with her price dropped $700 from original asking. We picked it up a couple hours later. It's in really good shape, with only one or two small pin holes in the vinyl portion of the top that covers the bottom and corners, easy patches. We haven't tried the sink but everything else seems to work fine.

We took it to Lawson's Landing the weekend after we bought it and
    Gave it a good 3 day trial run. I will have a few adjustments to make but nothing major at this point. The biggest being the power converter in this model doesn't have a built in charger for the battery. So I either replace the converter with one that does ($120+/-) or add a separate charger. The other issue is the wiring on the TV needs to be "fixed". Whoever installed the tow package either didn't hook up the charge wire to the trailer or disconnected it at the plug. I have to drop the spare to get up in and look and just haven't got to it yet.

As for heating, one of the people we camp with said he doesn't even bother using his. Instead, as he prepares for bed he turns the stove on for a couple minutes to take the chill off and in the morning he uses the stove to make a pot of coffee and it does the same thing. Wil have to try it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The stove trick works... I do it all the time.

Patron Saint of Forum Moderators redneckpunk's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Update:

We found a perfect size pop-up that we are hoping meets are needs. It was actually the first one we looked at, but the price was just too high. After looking at numerous models and deciding what we wanted it came down to only a couple things; 1) had to fit in the garage, 2) it's mainly a dry warm bed for late fall and early spring camping, 3) canvas in good shape. Everything else is a luxury or can be dealt with. After getting tired of dealing with flakey people on Craigslist and Facebook, to seller sent a text message with her price dropped $700 from original asking. We picked it up a couple hours later. It's in really good shape, with only one or two small pin holes in the vinyl portion of the top that covers the bottom and corners, easy patches. We haven't tried the sink but everything else seems to work fine.

Gave it a good 3 day trial run. I will have a few adjustments to make but nothing major at this point. The biggest being the power converter in this model doesn't have a built in charger for the battery. So I either replace the converter with one that does ($120+/-) or add a separate charger. The other issue is the wiring on the TV needs to be "fixed". Whoever installed the tow package either didn't hook up the charge wire to the trailer or disconnected it at the plug. I have to drop the spare to get up in and look and just haven't got to it yet.

As for heating, one of the people we camp with said he doesn't even bother using his. Instead, as he prepares for bed he turns the stove on for a couple minutes to take the chill off and in the morning he uses the stove to make a pot of coffee and it does the same thing. Wil have to try it.

Post Thanks / Like

Update:

Post Thanks / Like

Try the tent trailer, if you don't like it after a season sell it, it holds it value pretty good as long as its in great shape and a major mnf. so start with a decent one. There's no perfect rv, just like theres no perfect boat. I've had two over the years. As far as heating in cold weather, they can be heated with a 10,000 btu, or two 5000's propane heater hooked to a tank ( which was a better set up to heat evenly and saved propane on the long run. I used mine Elk hunting in Colo. during the open season, so it was well into late fall. It stays warm enough , just doesn't hold heat efficient, so a 7 gal. tank is what I had. Your not really going to be worried during the day temps vs staying warm at night and waking up to a warm rv. The other downside is that mine had to be raised up to get into it, so stopping on the road to get something out of it was a PITA. The big plus was pulling it, low profile met better economy, fuel was high during the time that I had one, so I was happy about that. I see some of the new ones on a flatbed trailer and room for ATV's, those are pretty cool and pricey too. I had a 24' bumper pull rv, loved it for its accommodations with having young kids, but the boat has to find another tow or stay home. We're on a second go around with a overhead, it seems to be a good way for just two of us now, because we want the boat where we go, but with small kids it was a bit cramped. Again, buy a decent one, so if its not for you, it'll sell easier then a well used one,,,gregg

5. Likes redneckpunk liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What about a light weight pop up camper for your truck? 4 wheel campers in Woodland builds some really nice ones. Should be light enough for your 1/2 ton and still pull a boat.

http://www.fourwh.com/
    2017, 20ft Gregor Eagle, 100hp Honda, 9.9 Honda, 80 lb Riptide, 4 Scotty 1106's

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AnglingWes View Post
    Love my 26' trailer. AC,TV, toilet,shower, queen bed with real mattress, indoor and outdoor kitchen. Camping in comfort. Also doubles as a quiet office and in-law quarters when parked at the house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Thought about it, but nowhere to store. Even thought about a class C motorhome I could tow boat with, but same issue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MKE View Post
    The problem is how are you going to tow both without taking both trucks ( pop up and boat). I know you probably don't want to hear this but get a 44 diesel with a cab over to tow your boat.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk
    If I'm going to do that I'm just going to get a 1 ton with a fifth wheel and pull the boat behind it. LOL

Fortunately, when we camp with the boat we don't need the pop-up because it's boat in camping. And when we camp with friends, it's usually not somewhere we would bring and use the boat. With the exception of maybe a Collins Lake trip here and there and dragging both wouldn't be an issue because I could go up early and she could drag the other up when she got off work.

9. Likes brokea--boater liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A hunting partner and I had one we used for waterfowl season many years ago. Kept it parked outside of Williams at a duck club. My opinion is that they are fine for summer camping but not for cold, rainy, or winter camping. I say this because you mention off season camping. It's difficult to warm them up when it's cold. When it's raining they become a mess quickly because you bring in mud and crap in. They are small inside and after a couple days they seem really small. They are good as a place to sleep, get out of nasty weather, and have a meal. We sold it after one waterfowl season and went to a regular travel trailer.
    Also as mentioned you can't tow your boat so that is something to think about.
    So for summertime camping go for it but for off season think about it carefully.
    one other thing, a guy at our duck club had one for a couple years. He left it set up for one season. That year we had a heck of a storm up there with very high winds. The winds blew the trailer apart, ripped the canvas to shreds. I don't think it was rotten cause it was fairly new. It wasn't really salvageable.
    Last edited by Waterdog; 07-31-2017 at 08:27 PM.
    Hunting, Fishing, Labrador Retrievers and a glass of Forty Creek Barrel Select Canadian Whiskey at the end of the day - Life Is Sweet

11. Likes CRABBY liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep i agree Wes. Me and the wife going to pull the plug on the trailer life soon. Was going to go with pop up but figured we might as well do it right the first time plus the cost of pop ups even used that are in good condition are 6-7k mite as well spend a few more k and get something the wife will enjoy more. She getting to old for tent life i guess. I been doing it all my lige so used to it. But i aint going to lie im probably going to enjoy it more than her.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
    THE TUG IS MY DRUG & THE WATER IS MY DRINK.

13. Likes redneckpunk, Waterdog, MKE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Pop Up trailers.....thoughts?

Love my 26' trailer. AC,TV, toilet,shower, queen bed with real mattress, indoor and outdoor kitchen. Camping in comfort. Also doubles as a quiet office and in-law quarters when parked at the house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast