aka sschefer
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking to add solar to my trailer

I did a lot of research on this and the bottom line is that if you have a generator then don't bother with the solar. If you don't want to mess with moving them all the time then you'll need at least 400 watts to keep up while dry camping. The system will run you between 12 and 15 hundred if you go with good SunPower panel's and a Victron charge controller and monitor. 2 gals of gas and an hour on the generator daily makes up my 75ah daily usage for 10 days. I have 450ah of batteries and I can also charge with the van running.
    Last edited by LineStretcher; 09-04-2017 at 05:20 PM.

2. Likes CRABBY, burninfuel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We bought a 100 watt this year and it's been fine for keeping two group 27 batts topped off. We typically move the panel 2-3 times a day depending on where we're camped and how many trees. Ours is a Renogy and works real well so far. The Renogy is negative ground so no issues. Be careful, some systems are positive ground.

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed, good sun exposure is needed for maximum output . When I was researching for mine I read somewhere if you need a 100 watt panel to meet your daily needs install two 100 watt panels to allow for indirect sunlight. Not many of us want to climb on top of the RV to adjust the panel... especially during happy hour!

5. Likes Bankie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have solar on a couple of different things. A small pond pump and the sun has to be perfect or it doesn't pump water. No big deal it is just for looks anyway. I have a 100 watt solar panel on a stand to charge the battery on my travel trailer. It is portable so I can aim it as best I can where ever the sun is. If I don't adjust it throughout the day it doesn't do much. Once again it really needs direct sun to work well. I brought this up just to point out that you may struggle for the perfect angle in order to get much charge time.
    Now on the other hand I was in a campground a couple of years ago and a camper van had a dead battery. The camper said no big deal he got out a 50 watt solar panel and in an hour his van started. I bought my panel after I saw that. I however don't take it when I know I will be camped in the shade, not worth it. Technology has come a long way in a few years but getting good sun exposure is important.

Post Thanks / Like

I put two panels on my cabover camper. I bought the panels, wire and connectors on ebay. There is a lot of tech info all over the web. I bought the charge controller from one of the solar company's in Arizona. Get the good one that will let you trickle in to another battery.

Post Thanks / Like

Looking to add solar to my trailer

I was going to add a 150 watt panel to my toyhauler but have no idea what a good system or brand is. Looking for suggestions. Prices seem to be about the same for all the complete systems I have seen between $350-$400.

so is there really any system better than another or are they all the same? For the price I have been considering a 150 watt system from Zebra Energy for $395 and free shipping.