Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Downriggers vs leadcore results

Quote Originally Posted by fishwrong2 View Post
    Grew up being told you can only effectively troll one side of a point. Pick which one and don't bother with the other. Costs a few bucks and some cussing every time I have to relearn that lesson.
    Good advice. Staying parallel with one side of a point, the ones that extend out a distance seems like a good plan.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mikfish View Post
    You've been following me haven't you? Story of my fishing life. Not that I've forgotten the points get shallow.. but they extend so far out. I have to remind myself... If you think you've gone deep enough before cutting back.. Keep going! I've donated way too many lures on those pesky points.

Grew up being told you can only effectively troll one side of a point. Pick which one and don't bother with the other. Costs a few bucks and some cussing every time I have to relearn that lesson.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chubbswheeler View Post
    With leadcore you can drag diving lures on the bottom literally in the sand. With a downrigger your risking losing lots of gear and possibly damaging your downrigger and or boat. Even then I risk it and run downriggers. Leadcore, in my experience requires king salmon sized gear to land Kokanee size fish.
    I have used that technique at Pyramid in the past but with the Tuffa rocks and bottom it is iffy. I know a guy who wraps his DR weights with tape to keep the sand paper effect from happening. For me it would be a disposable DR weight like a pipe filled with sand with a break away leader......Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappieJed View Post
    Good point
    For a change up, I use a Fenwick glass fly rod. (remember those brown ones?) It is spooled with the new 832 12 lb leadcore. I troll it, and it is a blast to fight kokanee sized salmon at Lake Almanor. BTW, a flyrod rod holder from Scotty is needed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chubbswheeler View Post
    With leadcore you can drag diving lures on the bottom literally in the sand. With a downrigger your risking losing lots of gear and possibly damaging your downrigger and or boat. Even then I risk it and run downriggers. Leadcore, in my experience requires king salmon sized gear to land Kokanee size fish.
    Good point

Post Thanks / Like

7. Likes CrappieJed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappieJed View Post
    Yeah really good stuff guys. You know, share with you one of my favorite things to do besides catching double digit Browns and Crappie size Hoss Cartwright's hat is using my DR with ultra light spinning gear 4lb mono troll needle fish tipped with piece of red worm or crawler. It's a blast, little 16" bow is a battle lol sooo much fun
    That's it for me too, light stuff along with the leadcore is productive and fun. I run both in the winter, loads of fun sometimes.......Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah really good stuff guys. You know, share with you one of my favorite things to do besides catching double digit Browns and Crappie size Hoss Cartwright's hat is using my DR with ultra light spinning gear 4lb mono troll needle fish tipped with piece of red worm or crawler. It's a blast, little 16" bow is a battle lol sooo much fun

10. Likes Jetspray, Waterdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snowtrout View Post
    Lots of good info already said by others but want to follow up on another's observation: most people overestimate the depth of of lures while using leadcore. Leadcore is very speed dependent and going 1/2 mile faster or slower will change the depth of where that lure is at.

Another thing to look at is how leadcore acts in the water vs lines off the downrigger. Because the leadcore is weighted throughout the line, it does not cut easily through water. What this means is, the leadcore line follows the path of the boat and is preferred by many anglers (vs downriggers) when wanting to follow contour lines. Lines off downriggers follow the path of least resistance and will take a shortcut from where the boat path was. If you have ever been following a depth contour and go around a point while using a downrigger, I bet your line has popped and the lure got stuck on rocks/stumps/structure right on that point. It was taking that short cut and you forgot to swing the boat out for it to clear. Also, when you mark a fish on your sonar, it's probable that leadcore will pass right by that spot (following boat path) whereas a long setback on the downrigger could find your lure completely missing the mark, if turns were involved.

Both have there place and both can be very effective.
    Great post- 100

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snowtrout View Post
    If you have ever been following a depth contour and go around a point while using a downrigger, I bet your line has popped and the lure got stuck on rocks/stumps/structure right on that point. It was taking that short cut and you forgot to swing the boat out for it to clear.
    You've been following me haven't you? Story of my fishing life. Not that I've forgotten the points get shallow.. but they extend so far out. I have to remind myself... If you think you've gone deep enough before cutting back.. Keep going! I've donated way too many lures on those pesky points.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast