Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ocean salmon shadowing

Ocean fishing is great. I have a 21 Thunderjet and typically launch out of Bodega or Richmond for crab and salmon. I highly recommend having a radio on board your boat; handheld is fine, but you need a way to contact the Coast Guard (channel 16) or other boats in an emergency. Also have a compass. Yes, you have GPS but if it goes down and there is fog you'll need a back up. As for conditions, wind is typically the largest culprit. Always check NOAA before heading out in the morning. My general rule of thumb is that if the swell + wave height + wind speed = more than the length of your boat you have no business being on the water. Wind is the worse, especially for an aluminum hull boat; anything over 12 knots is pretty ugly. Duration is the other thing to check, 12 seconds or longer is really good. Anything less than 7 seconds makes for a rough day and really slow boat speed. NOAA is great for live reports. I use surf reports to gauge predictions. The surf reports are typically accurate on swell and duration, but not always on wind. Check the wind direction so that you can plan your trip to have the afternoon wind at your back as you head back to shore. Wear a life jacket and carry a tow rope on your boat; hopefully to help someone else. Calm sees can produce great results. Have fun and good luck with your ocean adventures.

Senior Member QueenAnnesRevenge's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess their is a launch out of pacifica, if you have a dory and set of brass ones you can launch about anywhere haha.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

3. Likes nayr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

not sure if you are a member on Full Speed Fishing, but they have a group of guys that are very active private boaters who fish out of HMB. Might be worth a shot.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think there is a launch at Pacifica but I could be wrong. Safe conditions for a small craft depends on the wave height and the interval. I try not to go out if the swells are more than 6', and less than 10 seconds apart. If you have a 6' swell 30 seconds apart you won't even feel it. Then there is the wind, and the wind will generate waves on top of the chop, sometimes moving the same direction, sometimes not. Go here for more info http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/data/Foreca...US56.KMTR.html

So if we look at the local forecast, Monday and Tuesday of next week look pretty good

PZZ545-112245-
    Point Reyes To Pigeon Point To 10 nm-
    819 AM PDT Fri Aug 11 2017

...SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 3 PM PDT THIS AFTERNOON
    THROUGH SATURDAY MORNING...

TODAY
    NW winds 10 to 20 kt....increasing to 15 to 25 kt in the
    afternoon. Wind waves 3 to 5 ft. NW swell 2 to 3 ft at 9 seconds.
    Patchy fog late in the morning.

TONIGHT
    NW winds 15 to 25 kt. Wind waves 3 to 5 ft. NW swell
    2 to 3 ft at 9 seconds. Patchy fog after midnight.

SAT
    NW winds 15 to 25 kt. Wind waves 3 to 5 ft. NW swell 2 to
    3 ft at 9 seconds. Patchy fog in the morning.

SAT NIGHT
    NW winds 15 to 25 kt. Wind waves 3 to 5 ft. NW swell
    2 to 3 ft at 9 seconds. Patchy fog after midnight.

SUN
    W winds 15 to 25 kt. Wind waves 3 to 5 ft. NW swell 2 to
    3 ft at 9 seconds. Patchy fog.

MON
    W winds 10 to 20 kt. Wind waves 2 to 4 ft. NW swell 2 to
    3 ft. Patchy fog.

TUE
    W winds 10 kt. Wind waves 2 ft or less. NW swell 2 to 3 ft.
    Patchy fog.

..SAN FRANCISCO BAR/FOURFATHOM BANK FORECAST

IN THE DEEP WATER CHANNEL...Combined seas 2 to 4 ft with a dominant
    swell period of 8 seconds.

ACROSS THE BAR...Combined seas 3 to 5 ft with a dominant swell
    Last edited by Kurac; 08-11-2017 at 10:15 AM.

6. Likes BigUnInDaBoat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ocean salmon shadowing

Hello sniffers been getting the itch to try ocean salmon fishing and would like to find someone to shadow and show me the ropes.I got a 21' hewescraft sea runner with downriggers setups. Looking to launch out of HMB or Pacifica. Would prefer a short drive to salmon grounds. What's acceptable fishing weather for calm seas? Any info or help would be greatly appreciated. 🐟🐟🐟