Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Indian Valley Reservoir

You're right, now that I really think about it they are everywhere, under every rock, in most bushes, hanging from trees,everywhere. Don't go there, a few fish isn't worth multiple rattle snake bites.
    Hunting, Fishing, Labrador Retrievers and a glass of Forty Creek Barrel Select Canadian Whiskey at the end of the day - Life Is Sweet

2. Likes Trickytrucker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdog View Post
    Didn't mean to scare anyone off with my rattle snake comment. Any place in the valley and foothills that is a little wild and away from people you are going to find rattle snakes and often lots of them. Most of the time you won't see them but they are there. Since my dog got bit it's just something I'm more aware of. I was throwing training bumpers from camp out into the lake for him to retrieve. He had to run through a large patch of 2' high vegetation and he got nailed. I should never have sent him through that knowing I was in snake country.
    Most people never see a snake there. I've seen rattle snakes at lots of popular boating and fishing places in N California.
    IVR is a great place and I encourage people to go there and fish.
    I agree with fishtricker the 2 legged snakes are the ones to be aware of. That is why when I go into a remote or wilderness area I am armed.
    The fishing use to be great there. I caught the biggest large mouth bass there I ever caught (and I wasn't even fishing for bass) one of the biggest catfish I've caught and lots of trout. They use to have a great Koke population too. I'm anxious to get up there and see it full of water.
    Waterdog.............more fish for us!.

I think there's snakes everywhere there!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Didn't mean to scare anyone off with my rattle snake comment. Any place in the valley and foothills that is a little wild and away from people you are going to find rattle snakes and often lots of them. Most of the time you won't see them but they are there. Since my dog got bit it's just something I'm more aware of. I was throwing training bumpers from camp out into the lake for him to retrieve. He had to run through a large patch of 2' high vegetation and he got nailed. I should never have sent him through that knowing I was in snake country.
    Most people never see a snake there. I've seen rattle snakes at lots of popular boating and fishing places in N California.
    IVR is a great place and I encourage people to go there and fish.
    I agree with fishtricker the 2 legged snakes are the ones to be aware of. That is why when I go into a remote or wilderness area I am armed.
    The fishing use to be great there. I caught the biggest large mouth bass there I ever caught (and I wasn't even fishing for bass) one of the biggest catfish I've caught and lots of trout. They use to have a great Koke population too. I'm anxious to get up there and see it full of water.
    Hunting, Fishing, Labrador Retrievers and a glass of Forty Creek Barrel Select Canadian Whiskey at the end of the day - Life Is Sweet

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fishtricker2 View Post
    Just do it! Just be aware. The other day, I didn't see any. And trust me, I was in brush and rocks up to my knees.....

The two legged snakes are what to watch out for!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishin around View Post
    We went up there last summer and camped in the back of the lake were the trees are we caught 2 trout in the river that feeds the lake and a few bass and catfish in the trees very nice area with only a few people
    Yes, the north end is cool! Trout in the creek........

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trout Tracker View Post
    I was reading this thread and thought that i might
    want to give this place a try.
    Sounds like a nice lake,a good place to camp
    and spend a few days.
    Then i came to the part about the rattle snakes.
    I don't think so.
    Just do it! Just be aware. The other day, I didn't see any. And trust me, I was in brush and rocks up to my knees.....

Post Thanks / Like

We went up there last summer and camped in the back of the lake were the trees are we caught 2 trout in the river that feeds the lake and a few bass and catfish in the trees very nice area with only a few people

Post Thanks / Like

I was reading this thread and thought that i might
    want to give this place a try.
    Sounds like a nice lake,a good place to camp
    and spend a few days.
    Then i came to the part about the rattle snakes.
    I don't think so.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdog View Post
    I haven't been to IVR in 8 or 10 years. Prior to that I spent considerable time there. I like the primitive remoteness of the area and of course the fishing. Never stayed in the campground always found some place around the lake to camp. I've caught a lot of fish there and some big fish there too. I think it may take a couple years for the fishery to recover after the drought and the severe draining of the lake. Only thing I don't like about the area is the number of rattle snakes there. I've seen a lot there. One even bit one of my labs years ago. Got him into Clear lake to a vet and an anti venom shot.
    I am definitely going to get up there probably in September sometime. Keep us updated on the fishing there.
    Will do...

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't been to IVR in 8 or 10 years. Prior to that I spent considerable time there. I like the primitive remoteness of the area and of course the fishing. Never stayed in the campground always found some place around the lake to camp. I've caught a lot of fish there and some big fish there too. I think it may take a couple years for the fishery to recover after the drought and the severe draining of the lake. Only thing I don't like about the area is the number of rattle snakes there. I've seen a lot there. One even bit one of my labs years ago. Got him into Clear lake to a vet and an anti venom shot.
    I am definitely going to get up there probably in September sometime. Keep us updated on the fishing there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast