Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Chinook salmon size by area

Wow! My Dad never told me my step mom could fish like this!

September 18, 2004 11:47 AM.

Darrell Dettling and Susan Cristian Dettling (Susan's catch)
    Sacramento River/Feather River
    Salmon 40lb.

IMG_2671.jpg

2. Likes CAL.NDN, fishinfrank, USED 2 B IRON liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gdr_11 View Post
    I love the hat in the first pic....a reminder that fishing used to be a gentleman's sport and folks did not go out on the water looking like some homeless refugees. I used to enjoy going to a couple of the Red Lobsters where they used to have all the old school photos of people with fish caught off Catalina. Was interesting to see that people fished in coats and ties with straw hats on. A far cry from today
    I hope they were using those ties as stringers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I love the hat in the first pic....a reminder that fishing used to be a gentleman's sport and folks did not go out on the water looking like some homeless refugees. I used to enjoy going to a couple of the Red Lobsters where they used to have all the old school photos of people with fish caught off Catalina. Was interesting to see that people fished in coats and ties with straw hats on. A far cry from today

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a couple slugs from 1965. My dad is holding the 52 pounder. On the cover of Weekend Outdoor News it's a 48 pounder, both in 1965. He always said in 64/65 they caught a load of big fish. The 48 pounder was caught off Pacifica, the 52 was off Dux.

IMG_0403.jpgIMG_0404.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by fishinfrank; 09-15-2017 at 09:51 PM.

6. Likes CAL.NDN, QueenAnnesRevenge, nayr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My father was running a party boat out of Sausalito and landed a 64 pounder off Duxbury back in the mid 60's. Wound up on the cover of The old Western Outdoor News. If I can find it I'll post a pic. The biggest I caught was 49 pounds off Muir Beach. My bro nailed a 52 pounder off Double Point. Those were in the 70's.

8. Likes Tifoso liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Klamath still has a late run of big fish. Not a lot of them, but have got fish in the 30's and 40's. It's getting hard to fish them because the quota frequently shuts it down before they get there. Can't fish them at all this year, but it's somewhat satisfying to know there are still some around.

10. Likes Tifoso liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Tillamook Bay in Oregon used to have probably the biggest average Fall run fish in the lower 48 but that too has sadly gone by the way due to the genetic watering down of the breed. When I used to fish there 20 - 25 years ago, it was not unusual for there to be a couple of 40-50 lb fish in a 4-6 fish limit per boat. I caught my largest king in the Nehalem River in 1996; it was a 50 lb hen and my partner got a 50 lb male at the same time. Talk about exciting...having two brutes on at the same time and getting the lines tangled was enough to make my heart stop. I had to cut it in half to get it in my 100 quart ice chest.

Those were the days my friend...I thought they'd never end.

12. Likes Tifoso liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LineStretcher View Post
    I set the family record at 55lbs just outside of Sekiu but got bested by my Dad the next year on the Kenai at 56lbs. So yeah, they are still around.
    Wow! A dream come true. Twice
    Fungaiolo/Cacciatore/Pescatore

-Lou (Louis)

Post Thanks / Like

Good question.

I know a lot of the commercial guys in Alaska used to hit certain areas trying to time specific migration routes for specific runs. Kenai fish in Cook Inlet, Skeena fish at Cape Chacon, Campbell River coming down past Port Hardy.

I also have read about the June giants on the Columbia. Assume the big Smith River winter fish, or Sac Late fall runs have ocean patterns too, but haven't ever read anything about it. Fun topic to do digging into
    Last edited by fishwrong2; 08-25-2017 at 01:03 PM.

aka sschefer
    Post Thanks / Like

I set the family record at 55lbs just outside of Sekiu but got bested by my Dad the next year on the Kenai at 56lbs. So yeah, they are still around.

16. Likes Tifoso liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast