Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 20 foot Skipjack on CL

Quote Originally Posted by hooks View Post
    That seems to be a better deal!! Appears to have radar too.

Crap, I'm tempted so I locked myself in the closet and slipped the key out under the door .

Post Thanks / Like

Catch ya later ... hooks

3. Likes CRABBY liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brokea--boater View Post
    There's project boats and then there's money pits. Some boats are worthy of rebuilding and some are not. Not going to go down the list as which, I'll give you some good info on the boat your asking about. Skipjack's are solid hulls with a big following, and with a 20'er you can go to the Tuna grounds ( fuel dependent ) ) when most other 20's turn around. Go look at how big a Skippy 20 is and then look at any other 20 , only a few are in the same class. The 280VP seems to be very common and parts are available, I'm Mercruiser guy so I cant help much with that. It's very common for Skipjacks to get repowered many times over, by people that buy them as projects or own them for years. That Galvy trailer is probably worth 1500-2000 if its in decent shape, thus making the boat price that amount minus the value of the trailer. Don't underestimate the value of a solid trailer that fits the hull right, ask anyone with a crap trailer or not really right for that hull or wt. rating. Value the guys parts that he's offering, because you'll have to buy them anyways, probably at a higher price. If the motor is good, that's great, if its not so good, a fresh sb chevy with a marine rated cam is about 2300. If the manis and risers are good, even if for a season or two, great, you can R&R those later. THE MOST thing to look for is dry rot. Anywhere there was a screw is a place for rot to happen. Around the rails, transom, deck, and stringers. The stringers, check around where the motor brackets are bolted to them. Skipjack's have a heavy layup with woven cloth, and the stringers are incased full length, so water needs a breech somewhere to get to them. If your good with your hands, and not afraid of some work and learning new things, it may be for you. Personally if I bought that boat and it was a solid hull, I would pull the motor, sell everything, drive too. Take those funds and apply to a solid running 200hp ob. Plug the transom with plywood and epoxy. Finding a used Bracket with the same transom angle is about like winning the lottery, there;s a outfit on ebay that list 200hp brackets built for under 1500. That boat with a bracket, will be a boat that you will have for a long time, until you get the 2' itis and want bigger, it happens to all of us. Be honest with your skills, research real world cost, add some for incidentals. But start with a solid hull if you can, unless a worthy cheap project that comes along that pencils out,,,gregg
    Right on. I have the time but not the funds. Sure would love a nice 200 hp ETec on this as my own boat. I posted this for anyone who might want to take this on. I figure you can talk the seller down a cuple hundred more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

There's project boats and then there's money pits. Some boats are worthy of rebuilding and some are not. Not going to go down the list as which, I'll give you some good info on the boat your asking about. Skipjack's are solid hulls with a big following, and with a 20'er you can go to the Tuna grounds ( fuel dependent ) ) when most other 20's turn around. Go look at how big a Skippy 20 is and then look at any other 20 , only a few are in the same class. The 280VP seems to be very common and parts are available, I'm Mercruiser guy so I cant help much with that. It's very common for Skipjacks to get repowered many times over, by people that buy them as projects or own them for years. That Galvy trailer is probably worth 1500-2000 if its in decent shape, thus making the boat price that amount minus the value of the trailer. Don't underestimate the value of a solid trailer that fits the hull right, ask anyone with a crap trailer or not really right for that hull or wt. rating. Value the guys parts that he's offering, because you'll have to buy them anyways, probably at a higher price. If the motor is good, that's great, if its not so good, a fresh sb chevy with a marine rated cam is about 2300. If the manis and risers are good, even if for a season or two, great, you can R&R those later. THE MOST thing to look for is dry rot. Anywhere there was a screw is a place for rot to happen. Around the rails, transom, deck, and stringers. The stringers, check around where the motor brackets are bolted to them. Skipjack's have a heavy layup with woven cloth, and the stringers are incased full length, so water needs a breech somewhere to get to them. If your good with your hands, and not afraid of some work and learning new things, it may be for you. Personally if I bought that boat and it was a solid hull, I would pull the motor, sell everything, drive too. Take those funds and apply to a solid running 200hp ob. Plug the transom with plywood and epoxy. Finding a used Bracket with the same transom angle is about like winning the lottery, there;s a outfit on ebay that list 200hp brackets built for under 1500. That boat with a bracket, will be a boat that you will have for a long time, until you get the 2' itis and want bigger, it happens to all of us. Be honest with your skills, research real world cost, add some for incidentals. But start with a solid hull if you can, unless a worthy cheap project that comes along that pencils out,,,gregg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishinfrank View Post
    Aptly named.

That was the first thing that came to my mind when looking. Seems a bit steep for a boat in that condition to me, unless I am missing something. A good friend of mine bought a 25' skipjack for $6k with a newly rebuilt motor in turn key condition. Sadly even that turned in to quite a project boat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Seon View Post
    Yank that out that motor and outdrive, patch that hole and slap a Yamaha F300 hp. Then you'll have a great fishing boat .
    That would be my rout if I could.

Post Thanks / Like

Aptly named.

Post Thanks / Like

Yank that out that motor and outdrive, patch that hole and slap a Yamaha F300 hp. Then you'll have a great fishing boat .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LineStretcher View Post
    Sounds like a project boat aka money pit.
    Those with money to throw in a pit might go for it. My buddy has a 351 Windsor and outdrive he might put on. I think he's going to check it out today.

aka sschefer
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a project boat aka money pit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast