Post Thanks / Like

Re: Central Valley Kayak Fishing

Lol yea thats diffrent lake. Thats not even considered a slight wind in my book. Salt spings im talking about is serious lake to not be taken lightly. Im not saying no one can fish it ir dont but be prepared with dry bags and stay close to shore if you do and just be ready to spend the night in the forest on steep hills if you have to. One my cousins friend just got stuck up there a little while back but he thrives on that kind stuff and is single.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by CAL.NDN; 09-16-2017 at 06:28 AM.
    THE TUG IS MY DRUG & THE WATER IS MY DRINK.

2. Likes chubbswheeler liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salt_Springs_Reservoir ok im sorry i was thinking of another one the one up above jackson. I see you were talking about salt springs vally resvior my bad. I didnt want see anyone get hurt or

Cool, i figured. For some reason nobody goes to the salt springs I fished. Only the other one. It's like this place is a secret or something. And it has some real serious bass fishing. I haven't been in maybe 15 years but always check up on it and seems to be firing off.

4. Likes CAL.NDN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I mean look at this guy. https://youtu.be/0aAFAN2zmsE
    https://youtu.be/5zLtYyNBcjw
    https://youtu.be/7Bh8Ge9sMwI
    That must be you huh CAL.NDN. hahaha. 30+ fish and I'd say it's too windy also. If this guy can do it, I'd say "run it". Noobs deserve to fish good spots too.

Post Thanks / Like

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salt_Springs_Reservoir ok im sorry i was thinking of another one the one up above jackson. I see you were talking about salt springs vally resvior my bad. I didnt want see anyone get hurt or drowned.

7. Likes chubbswheeler liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CAL.NDN View Post
    Im going to have to disagree with you on this, this time chubbswheeler..... this is not good information to give a noob kayaker. This lake can be very unforgiving in the drop of a dime. People drowned here just about every year or every year. The winds will come up quick and with a vengeance and are nothing to be to messing around with for even the most experienced yaker. No fish is worth it.

Are you sure we're talking about the same salt springs? In copperopolis?Small lake with a couple duck blinds and a jet ski course? I know there are two salt springs. I have seen it blow out there but didn't realize it was a regular deal. Ya sorry I wouldn't want to put anyone in harm's way. Only 5lb. Bass' way. I've only seen the wind one time and been about 7-8 times. far from a local So figured it's the same as the next lake. If there's water they will drown. Regardless of where you end up definitely watch for the wind because when it starts ripping things get rough in boats, let alone yaks or canoes.Thanks for the warning CAL.NDN. you made a great point about beginner safety.

9. Likes CAL.NDN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Im going to have to disagree with you on this, this time chubbswheeler..... this is not good information to give a noob kayaker. This lake can be very unforgiving in the drop of a dime. People drowned here just about every year or every year. The winds will come up quick and with a vengeance and are nothing to be to messing around with for even the most experienced yaker. No fish is worth it.

Post Thanks / Like

The dog pound is definitely a good place. I used to take my canoe there.

There's a lake just north of Tulloch lake named "salt springs valley reservoir". I'd go there most definitely. There are uuuge Florida largemouth and it's perfect size for a yak. It also has plenty of nice sized crappie n red ear sunfish. Your in the right zone. Put it this way, when I think of bass fishing I think of Oakdale. Good luck. And be sure to report.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MattMcMattyMatt View Post
    Hey guys. I just started kayak fishing recently and am looking for good rivers/lakes/ponds near my area to bass fish. I live in Oakdale, CA and have fished Don Pedro and nothing else so far. How is kayak fishing at the Dog Pound (Stanislaus River)? Don't really want to go anywhere where I have to deal with a lot of boat traffic. I hear New Hogan is good? The fishing report for New Melones is saying to go to deeper water and Drop Shot, which means finesse fishing. I don't really want to resort to that either. Sort of a last resort for me. How is the bass fishing at McSwain? Any tips for locations and fishing reports would be super helpful. Thanks!
    I'm from the area you are talking about unfortunately I didn't get into kayak fishing until after I left.

About the only piece of advice I can give is that if you do decide to hit the Stanislaus, be careful and go with a buddy if possible - preferably somebody who is a more experienced kayaker. Rivers and kayaks are no joke. **** hits the fan real quick. And please wear a PFD.

That said, good luck and hope to read some reports.

Post Thanks / Like

How far down the valley do you want to go? Towards Fresno you have Eastman and Bass Lake. But you have the Delta to the north of you. Tracy area is great for kayakers, Oasis area.

Post Thanks / Like

Central Valley Kayak Fishing

Hey guys. I just started kayak fishing recently and am looking for good rivers/lakes/ponds near my area to bass fish. I live in Oakdale, CA and have fished Don Pedro and nothing else so far. How is kayak fishing at the Dog Pound (Stanislaus River)? Don't really want to go anywhere where I have to deal with a lot of boat traffic. I hear New Hogan is good? The fishing report for New Melones is saying to go to deeper water and Drop Shot, which means finesse fishing. I don't really want to resort to that either. Sort of a last resort for me. How is the bass fishing at McSwain? Any tips for locations and fishing reports would be super helpful. Thanks!