Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Brown bears & Brown trout Shasta lake 9/9/17

Glad that you brought this up again guys I don't believe copepods are parasites their a crustacean I believe you're thinking of something different. Like I said earlier very small trout eat copepods and Daphnia until they can start eating insects and other fish

Post Thanks / Like

I don't profess to have any knowledge of copepods. But it seems to me that the reason they're more prevalent in summer is because trout will come up into the warmer water briefly to feed on roaming schools of shad or insects, where presumably the copepods thrive. Apparently, once attached they hitch a ride back down to the cooler depths. You'd think the copepods would die in the colder water where trout are most comfortable. Guess not. The question I have, is why don't they attach too brown trout or even bass that are warm water fish?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Ok back on subject kind of. A couple years ago I did a little research on copepods. Didn't glean a lot of information but got a few things. They are parasites found in fresh water that affect some trout and salmon. They attach themselves to the skin and feed on the slime, skin and burrow into the meat and feed. They don't really harm the fish or the meat. They can harm fish when fish populations are dense as in hatcheries. In that situation they sometimes attach themselves inside the gills in large numbers and can cause oxygen desaturation and weak, sick fish, and death.
    They do seem more prevalent in the warmer months but I couldn't determine why.
    For the most part they are harmless to the fish and are harmless to humans if eaten as long as th fish as cooked well. You can scrape them off the skin of the fish or you can fillet the skin off the fish.
    They make fish look ugly but they don't affect the taste or quality of the flesh. Harmless to people. That's the extent of my limited knowledge on copepods. For what it's worth (which ain't much).
    Hunting, Fishing, Labrador Retrievers and a glass of Forty Creek Barrel Select Canadian Whiskey at the end of the day - Life Is Sweet

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappieJed View Post
    Ok can we please get back to the copepods...now if a mackinaw was attacked by millions of copepods, ummm would ummmm wait where am I going. Oh forget it, it's George Bush's fault
    Ok, you really crossed the line here Jed! You gone & went political on a fishing forum. I mean, everyone knows copepods lean to the left while hanging off a trout. Bush had nothing to do with it!

5. Likes Waterdog, CrappieJed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You are right Jed the copod invasion was caused by Bush and Cheney. Everyone knows it. Copods aren't that bad, just fry them up with a little butter and garlic and bon appetit. Lot of protein too.
    Last edited by Waterdog; 09-13-2017 at 03:22 PM.
    Hunting, Fishing, Labrador Retrievers and a glass of Forty Creek Barrel Select Canadian Whiskey at the end of the day - Life Is Sweet

7. Likes CrappieJed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok can we please get back to the copepods...now if a mackinaw was attacked by millions of copepods, ummm would ummmm wait where am I going. Oh forget it, it's George Bush's fault

9. Likes Waterdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just to be clear it was not my intent to be argumentative or harsh. In this case I thought it important to set the facts straight that there are no brown bear species in California. Brown bear and Grizzly which are basically the same species of bear are extremely unpredictable and aggressive, they do not play well with humans. If we had brown bear in California it would be way more dangerous to venture into the wilderness. You would hear of many more maulings and deaths by bears. Black bears here in California are far less aggressive and seldom attack people unless you get between them and their cubs or food. Brown bears will attack for no reason, just being in their territory is reason enough to attack.
    It would be the same if I said I saw Arctic char in the American river. People would jump all over me letting me know there are no Arctic char in California. So I was just trying to be educative and present facts. No ill will was intended. Now if we were discussing fish or fishing I would defer to Linestretcher as he has much more experience and knowledge than I.

Post Thanks / Like

Was just trying to lighten the mood and poke fun at everybody in the same post, including myself. While I'm not a biologist, I do frequently fall into the purveyors of random and useless facts club.

Keep up the great reports.

12. Likes Waterdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishwrong2 View Post
    Don't sweat it partner. Chalk it up to a Cliff Clavin "Little known fact". Interesting for idle chat with buddies at the bar (or forum), but not very important at the end of the day. Not sure what happened on prior posts, but I don't think anyone meant any offense here.

I look at it like Silver Salmon (Coho) vs. Red Salmon (Sockeye). It's true that Coho's are very silver color in the ocean, and Sockeye have very red meat and coloring while spawning. But on the other hand, one of the most chrome colored fish you'll ever see is an ocean Sockeye, and they refer to spawning Coho's as "Fire Trucks" because they're so red. Descriptive names for different critters that lead to confusion. That's why biologist use their scientific names. And not by coincidence, that's why biologist and Cliff Clavin impersonators don't get many dates either.

It would be very cool if there was evidence of a Grizzly in California. By most all accounts they're extinct in California but the same was said about wolverines and wolves up until a few years ago, and that changed.

In any event I take no exception to the brown trout, brown dog, brown bear reference. I am a little butt hurt by the click bait claiming a bear was in a net though.....

Good story, great pics.
    Lol Fishwrong, there was no mention of a bear in the net, just a dog. If I had a bear in the net (assuming it would fit) I don't think I'd be in any shape to tell the story. At least not right away.

Also, you might be thinking I'm linestretcher.. not me. I got no problem believing they were black bears, now that Waterdog cleared it up. I'll admit, I have zero knowledge in the bear species and where they roam. Thanks for the kind words about the pics .... until next report, tight lines!

14. Likes Waterdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LineStretcher View Post
    Nice thread and nice pic's. I find it a little amusing since a couple of years ago I was saying I found Brown Bear evidence while guiding in Northern Ca. That resulted in an intense argument that there were no brown bears in Northern Ca. Thanks for providing the proof that I needed then, it vindicates my story but I'm sure there will still be arguments about it.
    Don't sweat it partner. Chalk it up to a Cliff Clavin "Little known fact". Interesting for idle chat with buddies at the bar (or forum), but not very important at the end of the day. Not sure what happened on prior posts, but I don't think anyone meant any offense here.

I look at it like Silver Salmon (Coho) vs. Red Salmon (Sockeye). It's true that Coho's are very silver color in the ocean, and Sockeye have very red meat and coloring while spawning. But on the other hand, one of the most chrome colored fish you'll ever see is an ocean Sockeye, and they refer to spawning Coho's as "Fire Trucks" because they're so red. Descriptive names for different critters that lead to confusion. That's why biologist use their scientific names. And not by coincidence, that's why biologist and Cliff Clavin impersonators don't get many dates either.

It would be very cool if there was evidence of a Grizzly in California. By most all accounts they're extinct in California but the same was said about wolverines and wolves up until a few years ago, and that changed.

In any event I take no exception to the brown trout, brown dog, brown bear reference. I am a little butt hurt by the click bait claiming a bear was in a net though.....

Good story, great pics.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast