Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Brown bears & Brown trout Shasta lake 9/9/17

Really good research guys. Heck I'm starting think maybe I wasn't really paying attention, perhaps I have eaten copepods. That might explain why I'm attracted to bright women

2. Likes Waterdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it depends on what hatchery they come from, the body of water and the time of year. Lake Camanche seem to have a lot from June through September. I've never noticed them much at Shasta before but they seem to have a lot this year. I have read Davis lake is loaded with them. You will see for the most part very few on bows caught in streams. There are various theories regarding that which I won't go into now. There is no known way to kill them without killing the fish too.
    They are ugly but don't affect the eating of the fish.
    Hunting, Fishing, Labrador Retrievers and a glass of Forty Creek Barrel Select Canadian Whiskey at the end of the day - Life Is Sweet

Post Thanks / Like

That's really interesting stuff. I have caught a lot of trout and I have never seen a parasite. I have seen plenty on Crappie and ocean bottom fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe the trout feed on them and get latched onto and fed on as well...?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

The type of copepods you feed to aquarium fish are a different copepods group than the ones you see on rainbows and salmonids. The ones you see attached to fish are called parasitic copepods. They are crustaceans but they ar parasitic crustaceans. The ones on the rainbows here in California scientific name is Salmincola californiensis .They have a complex life cycle and need a host to survive and complete its life cycle, thus they are parasitic.
    I am not sure where the trout pick up copepods as they have a short life cycle of about 48 hours in open water. If they don't find a host trout in that time they die. Some or even many may attach themselves at the hatchery and grow and multiply while attached to the fish.
    They do on occasion attach to other trout species but is somewhat rare. It is thought that the nutrients found on the rainbow trout skin is necessary for their survival and life cycle. The nutrients and chemical compounds on other fish may not sustain them.
    Mikfish may be correct in his theory why you find more copepods in the warm months and warm water but I don't know for sure. I havent been able to find that in my research. I've done more research and learned more about these ugly little suckers than I ever planned on. Not sure I want to pursue any more expertise on this subject.
    The anchor worm is different from Salmincola californiensis.
    Last edited by Waterdog; 09-14-2017 at 11:52 AM.
    Hunting, Fishing, Labrador Retrievers and a glass of Forty Creek Barrel Select Canadian Whiskey at the end of the day - Life Is Sweet

7. Likes CrappieJed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Also known as lernaea or anchor worms.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/m/#publication?id=FA185

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mikfish; 09-14-2017 at 11:39 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Parasitic copepod

Post Thanks / Like

Apparently were both right, it is a crustacean that is labeled as a parasite.

Post Thanks / Like

There may be a crustacean called copepods, but I believe the type that attach to trout are called parasitic copepods.

Post Thanks / Like

http://youtu.be/BblCsLhFRPk

this video of copepods you see them better at the beginning of the video. We use to feed them to our aquarium fish.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast