Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Weight for ling jigs

You don't "need" to switch out the hooks to bronze unless you plan on hooking the bottom a lot. Learning how to shake a jig loose is an acquired skill. If you do hook the bottom, hand it off to a deckhand quickly so they can show you how to do it. I have a lot more success shaking jigs loose than shrimp fly rigs. I would say I only lose a jig every 2-3 trips, they actually get pretty beat up if you don't lose them often enough.

The solid steel jigs last longer, on cast lead jigs, the loop at the bottom usually gets pounded enough from hitting the rocks that it ends up breaking.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I went shopping this weekend and think I have everything I need. I got a pair each of 9oz and 14oz Ahi aussalt jigs and a 12 and 16oz of those Dainelson crome jigs. The ahi are a mix of blue, orange and green with chrome.

Do I really. Red to switch out the hooks on them right away? They are all on welded O rings. I figure I would do that as they start to bend out but for now I could just switch to another jig if I bend one hook next trip

Post Thanks / Like

I like the 8oz bars. Use them 80%of the time for lings. Not a fan of swimbaits that much cause of the drag from the tail and body Calls for heavier weight and doesn't fall as fast as the bars. But when I do fish the swimbaits (on private boats) I actually just slow troll it just off the bottom as we drift and pump the rod

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Weight for ling jigs

Check out Cal's article on the homepage. Good info on fishing bars.

Post Thanks / Like

I fish the 10 and 12oz AHI jigs are the islands, they usually slay.

6. Likes Polebrother liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Get a few 16oz Diamond bars, (always tip with a big chunk of squid), change the hooks out to bronze, they straighten if you get the hook in the rocks, you bend them back and save your jig. I always use 65lb braid with a short 3-4' top shot of 40lb mono, bottom fish are not line shy, no need for floro, this will keep you in touch with the bottom, less drag and the short top shot keeps your knot from running thru the guides. Also because braid tangles around the jig too easy when jigging, the mono reduces line wrap. You can cast ahead of the drift, but fishing vertical with a little heaver jig is better IMHO, I don't have to reel up to reset and just maybe pass over the rock that holding the fish I'm looking for. If it's a somewhat fast drift, reeling up and resetting is exaggerating that you'll be skipping over a lot of lost opportunity reeling up to reset. Ling fishing is all about staying vertical, lots of action pounding rocks, they are about as of a aggressive fish there is, I think all of us that has been at this for awhile have had or at least seen a hitch hiking ling hanging on another ling bigger then his self. They attack and or eat everything. Also if your using bullet head jig with big swimbait tail, that tail slows the sink rate a lot, so go even heavier to compensate if your fishing deep. I too love fishing lighter jigs, but depth and drift sets the requirements for staying verical, don't over think it,,,Gregg

I still have 32oz chrome hex bar from when we fished 300' at the banks

8. Likes Polebrother liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Polebrother View Post
    ...where the captain announced "drop em" when water was deeper than 200 feet.
    Then it's all good.

10. Likes Polebrother liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Seon View Post
    Rockfishing is can only be taken or possessed in waters less than 180 feet (30 fathoms) deep.
    Just saying...

https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Fishing/Ocean/Regulations/Fishing-Map/Northern#rockfish

Im guessing that rule has changed. I've fished on several party boats this year where the captain announced "drop em" when water was deeper than 200 feet.

In fishing, I throw myself away and find myself again and again.

Post Thanks / Like

I am south or that. I believe they opened it to around 240' but I could be wrong on that fact. I'm on a party boat so I guess I have to leave it to the captain to know the regs......

13. Likes Polebrother liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fish-on View Post
    ... but when you are 200+ feet deep with a fast current those lighter jigs would not work.
    Rockfishing is can only be taken or possessed in waters less than 180 feet (30 fathoms) deep.
    Just saying...

https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Fishing/Ocean/Regulations/Fishing-Map/Northern#rockfish

Last edited by Seon; 09-13-2017 at 04:36 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast