Post Thanks / Like

Re: San Joaquin River Catfish

Great report!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Valley Fisherman View Post
    Great report! I'll use some shad next time. I thought the waters were getting too cold for catfish? Guess not then since you got some.
    X2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Great report! I'll use some shad next time. I thought the waters were getting too cold for catfish? Guess not then since you got some.

4. Likes Fishingframes liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great job and thanks for the info.

Post Thanks / Like

Nash Tackle. a company on the UK, Makes Scope Range rods in 9 and 10 foot lengths.

They telescope from the butt section. The 9 footer packs down to 44 inches and the 10 footer to 55 inches.

Not sure if these features would help you in your boat.

I have used the 9 footer. It can cast 4-6 ounces 100 yards easy.

If you don't need to cast far from the boat. the rods should handle 6-12 ounces or more.

Quote Originally Posted by StikMan Modesto CA View Post
    I have to admit I love the leverage advantage of a long Pole when fighting fish but with every advantage there may exist a disadvantage. Let's throw in a few feet for leader and make it 9 feet. I love my little 14 foot Whaler but stashing a long Pole with a net is a problem. I have built-in storage on the rear of the boat and on the sides. I guess it doesn't help when you're anchored right in the middle of the current and you have no slack water to guide the fishing to. You get them beside the boat and reach for your net and they're four feet Downstream from you. But if you want to see a dance watch this video about 5 minutes into it. You will understand why I don't dance on TV anymore.https://youtu.be/i1wVK9xaqR4
    David

The only time a fisherman is telling the truth is when he calls another fisherman a liar.

100% Accurate reports
    Post Thanks / Like

I have to admit I love the leverage advantage of a long Pole when fighting fish but with every advantage there may exist a disadvantage. Let's throw in a few feet for leader and make it 9 feet. I love my little 14 foot Whaler but stashing a long Pole with a net is a problem. I have built-in storage on the rear of the boat and on the sides. I guess it doesn't help when you're anchored right in the middle of the current and you have no slack water to guide the fishing to. You get them beside the boat and reach for your net and they're four feet Downstream from you. But if you want to see a dance watch this video about 5 minutes into it. You will understand why I don't dance on TV anymore.https://youtu.be/i1wVK9xaqR4

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StikMan Modesto CA View Post
    ... It's always fun to try to net a fish with a 3 foot net and a 7-foot rod.
    I wanted to watch you dance with that short net and long rod but the video cut off, LOL.

Thanks for sharing your trip.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report!

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=StikMan Modesto CA;1134162]I've made it out to the San Joaquin River near Patterson twice recently and landed catfish both times weighing about 5 lbs each. I went early and manage to catch a couple of shad with my dip net and headed upriver. I baited up the fresh shad so they would spin backwards in the current and used a 1 oz sliding weight to keep it near the bottom. On the first trip it was less than 15 minutes and my baitrunner was screaming. With just 10 lb test line it was quite a fight. With each violent head shake I was worried he was going to snap me off. It's always fun to try to net a fish with a 3 foot net and a 7-foot rod. It's like some yoga exercise trying to flex your pole behind your neck while reaching out with that Short net trying to get a fish in the middle of it. With the water up a little bit I was confident that some new fish would move up and I believe they did. On the second trip it made me wait about a half an hour before the baitrunner took off. Same result. It's hard to beat fresh Shad for bait. I will put a short link to a video. Have a good day have fun fishing Ken

Great report!

100% Accurate reports
    Post Thanks / Like

San Joaquin River Catfish

I've made it out to the San Joaquin River near Patterson twice recently and landed catfish both times weighing about 5 lbs each. I went early and manage to catch a couple of shad with my dip net and headed upriver. I baited up the fresh shad so they would spin backwards in the current and used a 1 oz sliding weight to keep it near the bottom. On the first trip it was less than 15 minutes and my baitrunner was screaming. With just 10 lb test line it was quite a fight. With each violent head shake I was worried he was going to snap me off. It's always fun to try to net a fish with a 3 foot net and a 7-foot rod. It's like some yoga exercise trying to flex your pole behind your neck while reaching out with that Short net trying to get a fish in the middle of it. With the water up a little bit I was confident that some new fish would move up and I believe they did. On the second trip it made me wait about a half an hour before the baitrunner took off. Same result. It's hard to beat fresh Shad for bait. I will put a short link to a video. Have a good day have fun fishing Ken
    https://youtu.be/FLRMy81hzXs

12. Likes dilbeck, CVAforrest, Waterdog, GW208 liked this post