Post Thanks / Like

Re: Screen Freezes Several Times Before Finally Rebooting Itself 1/2 Hour Into Outing

Quote Originally Posted by Snowtrout View Post
    A few things come to mind when I hear what you have experienced. Maybe the battery was not fully charged or has developed a bad bad cell. Sometimes electronics get fickle it not getting enough juice. If the battery is ok, then something may have corrupted the hard drive. A hard reset might be necessary, going back to the factory settings and losing all your data, to possibly "fix" what ever the issue is/was. If it still has issues after that, you could call Lowrance.

If nothing works or it gets worse, it may be time for a new electronics investment
    Thanks for your input, I appreciate it! I’m in a new 2017 Lund that I picked up in June. Most equipment was transferred from my old Tracker, including the Lowrance HDS-7. It is connected to cranking battery which is new and came with the boat. I’ll check battery connections, etc. As I think back based on your comments, the HDS-7 has been slow to get going in the Lund at beginning of approx 7 or 8 previous outings...one or two reboots before working properly...but nothing like yesterday’s lengthy, extended delayed malfunctioning. I’m almost due my initial dealer warranty maintenance check so I’ll have them address the problem, too.

While there are a lot of new toys available regarding electronics, I’ve been content with my HDS-7 while adhering to the old adage that “good enough is good enough.” That said, if I have to go new, wondering if I should stick with Lowrance or go with a different, proven brand...Ford vs Chevy syndrome?

In fishing, I throw myself away and find myself again and again.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Screen Freezes Several Times Before Finally Rebooting Itself 1/2 Hour Into Outing

A few things come to mind when I hear what you have experienced. Maybe the battery was not fully charged or has developed a bad bad cell. Sometimes electronics get fickle it not getting enough juice. If the battery is ok, then something may have corrupted the hard drive. A hard reset might be necessary, going back to the factory settings and losing all your data, to possibly "fix" what ever the issue is/was. If it still has issues after that, you could call Lowrance.

If nothing works or it gets worse, it may be time for a new electronics investment
    Last edited by Snowtrout; 10-07-2017 at 09:37 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Screen Freezes Several Times Before Finally Rebooting Itself 1/2 Hour Into Outing

Lowrance HDS7 First Gen gave me problems yesterday that initially made it impossible to troll the Delta. I was about to return to the launch ramp 1/2 hour into my outing due to the bazaar behavior of my electronics. The unit would power up but its display screen would freeze approximately 3 seconds later, becoming unresponsive to any and all buttons I pushed. I tried several fixes to include disconnecting and reconnecting the cables, unpowering and repowering boat’s energy source, removing and replacing the HDS7 data card, etc. Nothing worked. After freezing, the unit would reboot itself and did so about 15 times before it finally rebooted and, much to my surprise, continued to operate and function normally rather than freeze again. Thus I was luckily able to complete a full day of trolling with no further problems with the unit. But now, of course, I have very limited confidence that the unit will perform properly next time out. It might, but I don’t think so. Thus I’m seeking your inputs on what may be causing this malfunction. Proposed fixes are welcomed, of course. Thanks!

In fishing, I throw myself away and find myself again and again.