Senior Member QueenAnnesRevenge's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Scent storage shelf life???

The only scent I use anymore is lemon joy
    Pretty sure I can leave it out for a couple years.
    When i did use pro cure, mikes et el I would leave them in garage fridge and on ice while fishing. Synthetic scents are one i wouldn't worry about but anything with "real" whatever in it should be treated like you would bait because it will putrify faster than we can smell it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I tend to use mine for a long time. I have a small hoarding problem and it would show in my procure supply. I have some more unpopular flavors that are probably from 2012. Out of all the flavors, I really only use the shrimp and trophy trout flavors. Those flavors are bought every season or so. The shrimp is only identified by the red gel as the label is the first to wear off.
    My fishing buddy is a guide on the lake and doesn't take any special care of his scent's. He does use them more so they might not sit for years. Two seasons at most. As far as I've seen he catches a lot of fish. I wouldn't say its fine without refrigeration. Probably fine with it too.

Post Thanks / Like

I have 2 plastic containers with scents procure and mikes
    I use on the boat.During the warm hot summer months I
    put them in the frig in the garage.The winter months when it's cooler
    they stay in the boat.

Post Thanks / Like

I subscribe to the sniff test, same as the fridge. If the milk is a day or two past due, no big deal. If i get the slightest wiff of two day old devilled egg, I'm on a diet for a the rest of the day.. If scent smells like rotten sardines, chuck it. If i can't tell a difference I assume the fish can't either.

5. Likes Grncrestliner, CRABBY liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Scent is stink...Stink is scent. Use em if you got em. Nuff said .

7. Likes Waterdog, CAL.NDN, CRABBY liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don’t think anyone has a definitive answer. When I buy scent (procure) I put the date of purchase on the bottle with a marker pen. At 3 years I replace it with new. The 3 year thing is arbitrary, it’s just the amount of time I feel comfortable with. I talked to the procure people at the sportsmen’s show about it and they said it should be good for many years, but didn’t give a specific shelf life. I also don’t take any special care of it. It stays either in my boat or garage year around. So I think it’s up to you and what you feel comfortable with.

9. Likes CRABBY liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Is there a "RIGHT" answer? Yes! What ever you feel works for you. Confidence .
    frui vita et piscium captura
    Doing the best I can with what's left.

11. Likes Waterdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Scent storage shelf life???

I use scent on my trout lures probably 75% of the time. I don't store the containers properly according to some and then others say it doesn't make any difference. I keep them in the boat year round in a plastic Tupperware type container. It holds 6 small bottles. Some of my bottles are 5 years old and some are 2 years old. At what point do you just throw everything away and start over? On Wednesday the first couple of fish hit unscented lures then after that I put scent on everything. I think I was using Bloody Tuna with garlic but I also have Trophy Trout (really old) and 3-4 others. There are a couple of bank fishermen that fish Collins a lot that want any old scents I might throw away. They say the older the better for adding to their power bait. Another person who fishes from the bank will only use new products and constantly buys new Power bait or scent. Obviously they all catch trout so who is correct?? I am thinking about buying all new this year just because I know how hot my garage gets in the summer and I do get a little concerned about the shelf life.