Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Crab snaring (Dungeness) in Northern California - rod and reel

youll be fine... its obviously not ideal but it will work

Post Thanks / Like

i use my okuma epixor, its held jup great for years, but I do worry about snapping it, I can get a wild on a pull...

Post Thanks / Like

All you need to be able to do is get it just past the breaking waves. A pair of boots or waders makes that a bit easier. I've found that the crab snares made by the local tackle shops are better. I haven't had success with the packaged ones. They are out there to be had, good luck!

tredog

Post Thanks / Like

spinning is way better for snaring, I've done it a lot. 60lb braid is standard. You can reel so much faster (even with a 2 speed avet) with a spinning reel on the beach and that is so important to snaring success. The key is using the waves, and reel speed to keep constant pressure or else you'll be dropping keepers in the surf where you can see them and that sucks!

5. Likes nayr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jplee3 View Post
    DR - you mean TDR? The Avet's on it now but I was considering the Saltist. But now that I got the Penn Pursuit II 6000 and can borrow a 10' rod from my friend, I probably won't bother bringing that 8' casting setup.

A big reason I'm considering loading mono first then braid is to save a bit of $$$. Also, isn't it generally a good idea to put at least some mono backing on before braid to prevent slippage (unless there's a superline spool/gasket or whatever, which I'm pretty sure this reel doesn't have)? I can see why the mono at the end would be used though, if you're around the rocks and get caught up bad.

I think the plan as of now is to try from the surf first and if it's slow move over to the pier. Hopefully it's not too crazy crowded.
    Bring the rod anyways.

My mistake for not going into detail regarding spooling up with braid. I buy the 150 yard spools of braid and add that onto my reel that is abiut half full with mono. You will be casting much farther than 20-30yards. It took me a couple tries on a few of my reels to get the amount of mono right. The bigger reels are more than half full of mono b4 adding braid, smaller reels maybe a third full of mono. Hope that helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nayr View Post
    Put the avet or saltist on the DR rod. Spool with braid. I like the 50lb-65lb stuff. I only use lighter braid like 20-30lb on reels i use to throw lures. I think you'll get enough distance.

Adding just 20-30 yards of braid or mono is not neccessary in any situation i can think of around here. I add a small mono bumper, like 18-24 inches, to the end of my braid. Just so my line has a breaking point that isnt going to break something else b4 snapping. Anything from 20-40lb depending on what im doing. For crab snares i would be adding 40lb mono. This wouldnt be needed if your surf casting on a beach. I use the mono bumper bcuz the areas i used to crab snare consisted of rocks and sand. Lots of hang ups if your rig gets washed around .

And u can never have enough rods and reels.

Best of luck
    DR - you mean TDR? The Avet's on it now but I was considering the Saltist. But now that I got the Penn Pursuit II 6000 and can borrow a 10' rod from my friend, I probably won't bother bringing that 8' casting setup.

A big reason I'm considering loading mono first then braid is to save a bit of $$$. Also, isn't it generally a good idea to put at least some mono backing on before braid to prevent slippage (unless there's a superline spool/gasket or whatever, which I'm pretty sure this reel doesn't have)? I can see why the mono at the end would be used though, if you're around the rocks and get caught up bad.

I think the plan as of now is to try from the surf first and if it's slow move over to the pier. Hopefully it's not too crazy crowded.

Post Thanks / Like

Put the avet or saltist on the DR rod. Spool with braid. I like the 50lb-65lb stuff. I only use lighter braid like 20-30lb on reels i use to throw lures. I think you'll get enough distance.

Adding just 20-30 yards of braid or mono is not neccessary in any situation i can think of around here. I add a small mono bumper, like 18-24 inches, to the end of my braid. Just so my line has a breaking point that isnt going to break something else b4 snapping. Anything from 20-40lb depending on what im doing. For crab snares i would be adding 40lb mono. This wouldnt be needed if your surf casting on a beach. I use the mono bumper bcuz the areas i used to crab snare consisted of rocks and sand. Lots of hang ups if your rig gets washed around .

And u can never have enough rods and reels.

Best of luck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bret1972 View Post
    Those Shimano TDR rods are pretty flexy. I would opt for something more stiff for lunking out a heavy crab snare. I’d also be concerned that 30lb braid would snap off a lot when casting something that heavy. OK, so improvising.... put a heavy mono leader on it... 60lb would be great, but 30 would be OK, maybe even 20. IF you can, spool the whole reel with 80lb braid... you’re not really fishing, you’re just throwing out a miniature crab pot kinda. Even Dacron line would work. If u do use the TRD, be real gentle casting it.... use momentum to throw out your rig, not the rods flex. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Its medium heavy fast action. It doesn't feel super flexy but it is a trolling rod too, which I'm not sure how well it would cast regardless.

Maybe I will go buy a $60-70 setup from Walmart now. LOL

Ugh, I ended up ordering one of these since there's a rod I can borrow. Not sure I'd want to play around with an undersized reel: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EOTCAMO/

What lb braid and brand would you guys recommend? Power Pro Super Slick 30lb test? I saw one guy on Youtube put 30-40yards of braid as topshot on top of hi-vis mono (I'm assuming 20-30lb minimum - something like this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NWD4CN8). That seems like a more efficient way to 'save' your braid. Thoughts on that?
    Last edited by jplee3; 11-18-2017 at 03:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Those Shimano TDR rods are pretty flexy. I would opt for something more stiff for lunking out a heavy crab snare. I’d also be concerned that 30lb braid would snap off a lot when casting something that heavy. OK, so improvising.... put a heavy mono leader on it... 60lb would be great, but 30 would be OK, maybe even 20. IF you can, spool the whole reel with 80lb braid... you’re not really fishing, you’re just throwing out a miniature crab pot kinda. Even Dacron line would work. If u do use the TRD, be real gentle casting it.... use momentum to throw out your rig, not the rods flex. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
    I'll be home late tonight honey, I'm fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigUnInDaBoat View Post
    you can get a decent combo that will work at wal-mart of under $70 if that's an option, only thing is that I would switch the mono to braid.

Haha the last thing I need is to buy more gear...!

I ended up putting 30lb 'braid' (Stren Microfuse) on my Shimano Sedona 4000. My friend is borrowing a long rod from his buddy for me to use, so hope that can work out.
    Last edited by jplee3; 11-18-2017 at 10:05 AM.

12. Likes BigUnInDaBoat liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast