Post Thanks / Like

Re: Time to Replace HDS 7 Gen 1; What Next?

Awesome advice, didnít realize the Ti technology was older than the HDS Gen3. So, even though the HDS Gen3 is being discontinued, Iíd be better off with that unit rather than the Elite Ti? If thatís the case I hope see the discontinued HDS Gen3 offered at discounted pricing soon. Thanks again...Iím getting dialed in thanks to inputs like yours and others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In fishing, I throw myself away and find myself again and again.

Post Thanks / Like

Just in case you do not understand what you are buying;
    Elite-ti units are second generation HDS, first with touch screen, and the removal of some HDS features.
    HDS Gen3 is just that, 3rd generation HDS with touch screen and FULL features.

I would never choose older with less, over newer with more. With budget in consideration.

Edd
    Pro Staff - LOWRANCE ELECTRONICS
    Pro Staff - SHASTA TACKLE CO
    Pro Staff - SCOTTY FISHING
    Pro Staff - SHARK TROLLING PRODUCTS
    Pro-Staff - WATER WOLF HD CAMERAS
    Ambassador - Pro-Cure Bait Scents

Post Thanks / Like

If you are going to have 2 or more units on board and want to network them together, go with the HDS 3. Especially since they can be found for a good price right now or the near future.

If you will be using a single unit, the TI will get the job done. Plus it has the Totalscan transducer.

If you want the latest and greatest tech that includes 3D mapping, look at the carbon series. They are spendy though.

4. Likes Polebrother liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Update: Per recommendations, I had my software updated for the first time ever and did a hard reset on the HDS7 Gen1. Seemed to work well on dry land but looking forward to getting on the water again to see how the unit performs. While in Manteca, I stopped by Bass Pro Shops where I eyeballed the HDS7 Gen3 as well as the Elite 7 Ti. I was impressed with the Ti which has a sleeker profile than the HDS7 Gen3 and other desirable features. The salesperson there recommended I give strong consideration to the Ti while mentioning the HDS7 Gen3 has been or will soon be discontinued. If I end having to buy a new unit, the Elite 7 or 9 has surpassed my original thinking to go with the HDS7 Gen3. Please keep your comments and recommendations coming...very much appreciated!
    Last edited by Polebrother; 12-04-2017 at 10:47 AM.

6. Likes RideNfish liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Certainly one of the units that has caught my attention. Thanks for sharing your hands-on knowledge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

If looking for a single sonar unit that has the Totalscan transducer, the Elite TI 7 is hard to beat for features at its price point ($799). I have this unit and it does everything I need for fishing the lakes and rivers. Plus, having the NMEA connection from my engine to my unit allows me to see all vital engine information, including hours (depending on engine mfg and year) and using the built in WIFI to mirror the sonar screen on your smartphone or tablet (using their app), are two features that are nice to have.

But I will say, if the Elite TI 9 was available last year when I bought my TI 7, I probably would have paid the extra $200 for the 9" screen.

9. Likes Polebrother liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Polebrother View Post
    Thanks for your input...will investigate the new Hook2. Meanwhile, what does the upcoming Hook2 do that the HDS7 Gen3 canít? Iím convinced I donít need a screen larger than 7 inches.
    Actually it is 'what does the HDS do that the HOOK2 doesn't'. The 3 main differences are the touch screen and the ability to network to other HDS units and the capability to accept a host of transducers.

Edd.

11. Likes Polebrother liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ReelJerks View Post
    Have you got 2 networked sonar units? If not, you may like to wait for the new HOOK2 units that will ship in mid-December. Completely 'automatic' sonar...NO adjustments....just go fishing! If you elect for a larger screen size, you could get the HOOK2-12 Tripleshot for around $1600. Tripleshot is the HOOK2 transducer classification for 2D/CHIRP/SS/Down Imaging and it's smaller than the TotalScan. The new HOOK2 series features screen sizes from 4 to 12 inches, with GPS and Chart Plotter options.
    Thanks for your input...will investigate the new Hook2. Meanwhile, what does the upcoming Hook2 do that the HDS7 Gen3 canít? Iím convinced I donít need a screen larger than 7 inches.

Post Thanks / Like

Have you got 2 networked sonar units? If not, you may like to wait for the new HOOK2 units that will ship in mid-December. Completely 'automatic' sonar...NO adjustments....just go fishing! If you elect for a larger screen size, you could get the HOOK2-12 Tripleshot for around $1600. Tripleshot is the HOOK2 transducer classification for 2D/CHIRP/SS/Down Imaging and it's smaller than the TotalScan. The new HOOK2 series features screen sizes from 4 to 12 inches, with GPS and Chart Plotter options.

Post Thanks / Like

Time to Replace HDS 7 Gen 1; What Next?

Bought my current unit in 2010 and it functioned properly until three months ago when the sonar scroll began to freeze mid-troll leaving me blind for extended intermittent periods. Soft resets have helped but my confidence in the FF operating properly is now down to about 30%...not good, especially when friends and family join me on the water. As such I’ve been looking at new units; currently leaning toward the Lowrance HDS7 Gen3 Insight Fishfinder/Chartplotter w/Chirp/Structure Scan and 83/200+ StructureScan Transducer. Seeking recommendations regarding this choice. I troll the Delta for stripers 75 % of the time; troll lakes for trout/Kokanee 15%; and troll SF Bay 10% for halibut. Wondering if Downscan and Sidescan functions offer any advantages for any of the types of trolling I do. Obviously I can save bucks if I don’t need the StructureScan transducer. Also, I currently have Navionics Platinum S.D. card in my Gen1 unit...can it be used in my new FF? Unit will be mounted on a 2017 Lund 1900 Tyee. Seeking thoughts and comments on how I should proceed. Big thanks!