Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How it went on the SJ, 12/2/17(as promised to radoncraft)

For rigging assist hooks, try a general internet search for "assist hook on jigging spoon". Fish with JD has some useful info, and so do a lot of other sites.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

radoncraft, I'm pretty sure he's talking about using an assist hook, which eliminates the use of a treble hook. I've converted most of my spoons to assist hooks but they tend to create line twist, hence, the barrel swivel.
    I like the idea of assist hooks because I catch and release, but I'm not crazy about needing a barrel swivel. I plan on trying what dsa suggested with a single hook at the bottom, hopefully I don't hook any bass too deep.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Seaohh View Post
    For spooning I use 40# braid main line tied to a barrel swivel, then tie on a piece of 25# big game mono to a cross lock snap.

The barrel swivel will eliminate twist and the stuff mono leader will reduce the amount of time that the spoon flops back and tangles.

Additionally I strongly recommend switching your hooks to the short assist hooks rigged to the top of the spoon. They virtually eliminate snags and are nearly impossible for the fish to shake since they don't have the leverage of the spoon's weight.

When you get in to a wide open bite you will appreciate the ability to simply grab the 25# leader and swing aboard most anything that you can't bounce directly with the rod. Piece of cake to lip, unhook, release and get on to the next fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Seao, so you're saying you connect the cross snap at the top of the spoon along with the Trebble hook??

Post Thanks / Like

For spooning I use 40# braid main line tied to a barrel swivel, then tie on a piece of 25# big game mono to a cross lock snap.

The barrel swivel will eliminate twist and the stuff mono leader will reduce the amount of time that the spoon flops back and tangles.

Additionally I strongly recommend switching your hooks to the short assist hooks rigged to the top of the spoon. They virtually eliminate snags and are nearly impossible for the fish to shake since they don't have the leverage of the spoon's weight.

When you get in to a wide open bite you will appreciate the ability to simply grab the 25# leader and swing aboard most anything that you can't bounce directly with the rod. Piece of cake to lip, unhook, release and get on to the next fish.

5. Likes Katch liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again, dsa and radoncraft(and everyone else). Appreciate the feedback, hopefully I'll have better results to report back with next time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dsa2780 View Post
    Yeah, bottom normal ring. Once you hook them with the siwash they rarely every come unpegged, and usually its always through the roof of the mouth and by the nostril.
    I might have to try that swishy thing, sounds interesting. My usual set up is simple, 20 - 30 lb. Mono leader 2 ft length.
    I attached a picture so Ben could see what it looks like. I use ( I think it is called a duo-snap) and most of the time, I snap it direct to the spoon.,but if the spoon comes with a circle ring, I leave it on.
    Just a matter of preference, but I do think the heavy mono is a must.
    Time to go jigging.
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. Likes RideNfish, monkey916 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, bottom normal ring. Once you hook them with the siwash they rarely every come unpegged, and usually its always through the roof of the mouth and by the nostril.

10. Likes RideNfish liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bnjrmyn View Post
    dsa2780, are you saying that you attach the sickle siwash to the top ring, where you tie your line or the bottom ring, where the treble used to be?
    Where the treble was...

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    " Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it ". - Norman Maclean.

Post Thanks / Like

dsa2780, are you saying that you attach the sickle siwash to the top ring, where you tie your line or the bottom ring, where the treble used to be?

Post Thanks / Like

I run sickle siwashes on my spoons. Makes the hookup and landing ratio way more solid and doesn’t mangle the shakers when they start doing their thing when you’re trying to get them off. Gamakatsu big river open eye siwash and monkey916 turned me to Mustad’s sickle siwash, which is deadly deadly sharp.

When you start adding swivels, you just put space in between where they’re actually hitting. I’d go ring to a siwash.

Have been playing around with the ideas of tying a clouser minnow fly or a plastic super fluke above a spoon. I think it would be a deadly combo against those deeper fish. When I get back out there I’ll give it a go.

Nice report. Lots of effort goes into chasing these fish, just gotta keep putting time in and when you find them, work them. I wouldn’t worry about chasing boils or looking for them. Most of the time those fish are 6” anyways.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast