Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Patron Saint of Forum Moderators redneckpunk's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: salmon rod question?

Celilo or the SST are great rods for the price. That’s all I have for trout rods and I have one of each on the boat that I use for salmon and striper trolling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I second the Celilo 9’6”. I have slain many salmon on mine this season and it’s a great rod with plenty of backbone. I can’t knock it for the price.

Will be selling one soon if anyone here wants it, shoot me a PM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by striperjoe View Post
    hi i was thinking of getting a 9ft shimano clarus salmon spinning rod for bank fishing in sac is there any other rods in the $100-$150 range i should consider instead thanks
    I also bank fish for Salmon in the Sac. I have an older Clarus 9' 8-14lb spinning rod and love it, also have the 9'6" Clarus 8-17lb... But I also use I guess, cheaper or less expensive rods for Salmon too...I have the Lamiglass X11 9' 10-20 and they also make it in 9'6" 8-12 for $90-$100. Sportsmans W.H. has them on sale now for $75 I saw online. But I like a rod I found at Walmart, lol..for $54. I don't really look there for rods but I surprisingly came across it.

I use it for Shad for casting way out with an egg sinker at Miller and w/split shot and shad darts on the Amer., also for Steelhead and caught plenty of big Salmon on it..my perfect 3 for 1 rod. It's probably a Steelhead rod but works fine for big Salmon if you use your drag right, you don't need a broom stick. It's the Okuma Celilo 9'6" 6-12lb..CE-S-962MLa, feels like 8-15lb. It's a nice rod, good price and light for that constant 3 hours of casting, and the Lamiglass X11 is light too with no problems, nothing fancy. I think Fishermans W.H has all three rods too.
    Last edited by Mark1; Yesterday at 02:20 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ropfer View Post
    Anyone familiar with Cousins rods? At least one of the guides here in Sac. uses them and I've been considering getting one, but I'm no familiar with how they compare to the Lamiglas or Shimano...
    I have a Cousins Tributary GTS 99M-SG. LOVE IT. No Shimano rod comes close. They are on parr with the upper end Lamiglas rods.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by QueenAnnesRevenge View Post
    They seem comparable with the lamiglas kwik series.
    Step above shimano(clarus) but they should be for twice the price.

Tons of guides up and down the west coast dropped lamiglas and switched to cousins. I can only imagine cousins paid handsomely for the transition.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    Lami let their head rod designer go and Cousins hired him. Lots of guides/customers followed him to Cousins.
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by QueenAnnesRevenge View Post

Tons of guides up and down the west coast dropped lamiglas and switched to cousins. I can only imagine cousins paid handsomely for the transition.

mostly happened because Lami let their head rod designer go and Cousins hired him. Lots of guides/customers followed him to Cousins.
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

Senior Member QueenAnnesRevenge's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ropfer View Post
    Anyone familiar with Cousins rods? At least one of the guides here in Sac. uses them and I've been considering getting one, but I'm no familiar with how they compare to the Lamiglas or Shimano...

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

you all must remember the more you spend does not mean the more you catch. I've used UGLY Sticks for 45 years.

10. Likes kromebrite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nor_Cal_Drifter View Post
    Okuma SST
    Second the okuma. Use their rods for trolling. Great quality for the price.

12. Likes redneckpunk liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast