Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bank Fishing Rod Suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by BoiPotato View Post
    Amazon was having a sale and I picked up a Penn Squall 30LWLH over the 50 cause left hand. Im looking for a bank fishing rod to pair with this. Is the 12ft Ugly Stick too big and heavy?
    Im fishing around the Boise area and have no plans to head to the Columbia. I talked to one gentleman and he said he only uses 10oz pyramid sinkers in the snake. I think he was using 30lb mono cant remember.

Im new to Sturgeon fishing.
    I fished a similiar setup in the past. I think it was a penn 320ld or something like that on a 12ft ugly stick. We use up to 8oz pyramids to fish sturgeon in the carquinez straight from shore. I have also had a penn squall in the 30 size. I liked that reel too.

To answer your question a 12ft ugly stick is an ideal rod to launch 6-8oz lead. Im sure u can luanch a 10oz sinker also. I just havnt needed to personally. When casting that much weight u will want to have at least 25lb mono. 30lb makes sense also, it just starts to lose casting distance.. i prefer 25 on a setup like this. Or 20lb if i know i wont be casting over 6oz of lead. Im not a fan of using braid to soak bait from shore in the areas i fish. But it may be an option for u.

Similiar rods like a diawa beef stick work well and are not too pricy either.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AnglingWes View Post
    I have been using that reel for lings in the salt all year. It’s not bad for the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Did you see it today? Amazons Deal of the day. $83

3. Likes AnglingWes liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been using that reel for lings in the salt all year. It’s not bad for the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Bank Fishing Rod Suggestion

Amazon was having a sale and I picked up a Penn Squall 30LWLH over the 50 cause left hand. Im looking for a bank fishing rod to pair with this. Is the 12ft Ugly Stick too big and heavy?
    Im fishing around the Boise area and have no plans to head to the Columbia. I talked to one gentleman and he said he only uses 10oz pyramid sinkers in the snake. I think he was using 30lb mono cant remember.

Im new to Sturgeon fishing.