Post Thanks / Like

Re: Brain Storming here got a question

Quote Originally Posted by Fish-N-Fool lures View Post
    I am somewhat new to Mack fishing and I only do it this time of year when the fish are shallow as I want to release them, and there is not a lot of other fishing opportunities out there. So it keeps me from going stir crazy this time of year. I have been using some glow in the dark soft baits on my dropshot rig for catching macks and I got to thinking about using a waterproof flash light about 20 feet or so above the baits shinning down as a fish attractor and make the baits glow better. I would put this on my marker buoy line that I drop to mark where the fish are.
    Ok the questions are;

Just how much light is down there at say 90 feet in relatively clear water? Is it really dark on a sunny day or a cloudly day?

Has anyone ever tried anything like this? If so how did it work?

If not, Do you think it would work?
    I've been down to just over a hundred feet in Tahoe and there is still plenty of light to see what's going on

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

You didn't say what lake you are fishing.....that would help a lot for a more precise answer.

Unless you are night fishing (illegal at nearly if not all lakes that have macs here in CA), using a flashlight during the day to attract fish would do nothing unless your bulb is putting out +1000 watts of light. In my opinion, you would have too much diffusion from the water and too much light competition from the sun, especially in clear water.

Plus, fishing at 90' is still pretty deep. Most macs, unless they burp, will look like they swallowed a balloon when you get them to the surface, making it difficult to release them properly. Buy a Seaquilizer and use it. It's a great device that allows anglers to release fish caught deep safely.

Senior Member QueenAnnesRevenge's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Seems like too much hassle for some mud char. I've never drop shotted them, but have been on some epic jig bites in shallowish water. In clear lakes like donner and Tahoe 80-100' is clear and light.
    If you want extra attraction make or buy a uv charge box

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Not too many members browsing the boards from midnight to 2am...

But instead of using a flashlight on marker buoy line,

Maybe consider using a UV type bait.

Post Thanks / Like

This help?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AAJjdA6b4Ts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

6. Likes Katch, CAL.NDN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

almost 100 views and no comments? Nobody has an opinion in here?

Post Thanks / Like

Brain Storming here got a question

I am somewhat new to Mack fishing and I only do it this time of year when the fish are shallow as I want to release them, and there is not a lot of other fishing opportunities out there. So it keeps me from going stir crazy this time of year. I have been using some glow in the dark soft baits on my dropshot rig for catching macks and I got to thinking about using a waterproof flash light about 20 feet or so above the baits shinning down as a fish attractor and make the baits glow better. I would put this on my marker buoy line that I drop to mark where the fish are.
    Ok the questions are;

Just how much light is down there at say 90 feet in relatively clear water? Is it really dark on a sunny day or a cloudly day?

Has anyone ever tried anything like this? If so how did it work?

If not, Do you think it would work?