Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Maui in Late Feb.

This is a trophy catch!!
    Marlin caught from Shore Maui news.com

Post Thanks / Like

The Hinatea is a good boat in Lahaina. I have fished on that a few times. Maui is not my favorite HI fishing spot, but there is a dude there that fishes his butt off and goes out late at night and fishes EARLY before the other boats get to the Buoy "Die Hard" Sportfishing. That time of year - you should ask what's happening. Go to the Pioneer Hotel, Cheeseburger in Paradise for some great drinks and food.

Tight Lines, Big Game.

P.S. Most Boats in Hawaii sell the fish you catch to restaurants for profit - you need to agree ahead of time with the skipper with this dilemma. My 132 lb Yellowfin In Kona probably was worth about $2000.00 Retail. The Die Hard and a few others let you keep your fish I think. But hey, what you gonna do with 132 lbs of tuna traveling out of a suitcase?
    Last edited by Big Game; 01-14-2018 at 08:06 PM.
    Fishing Defined: A Jerk on one end of a line waiting for a Jerk on the other.

Senior Member QueenAnnesRevenge's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdog View Post
    I wonder if the charters who usually keep the fish we catch sell what the keep to the restaurants?
    That's exactly what they do.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

had a FANTASTIC trip last feb with Die Hard sportfishing out of lahina.
    left harbor at midnight, sabikid bait and was out over deep water before first light. very rough, everyone else was very sea sick.
    got sore arms pulling on fish in the first 20 minutes but still had to pull them in all day because eveyone else was too sick.
    got back to dock at 12, a 12hr trip!

capt gave me enough meat to feed 8 people for a week, amazing trip, highly recommend Fuzzy w/ die hard sport fishing, check out their reviews!

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if the charters who usually keep the fish we catch sell what the keep to the restaurants?
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

Post Thanks / Like

Funny thing is that most of the restaurants cook with fresh catch from around the islands. I wonder if the charters stay away from the local fishing spots that cater to the restaurants. Would sortnof make sense to me. There are a ton of restaurants which would mean a lot of fish are being caugh someplace.

7. Likes reeltor, Waterdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My experience there was the same as every one else’s. 3 of us chartered a boat for one ono. Mostly the charters keep the fish but our captain said we could keep it. We took half for the bbq and the captain took the rest. I think ono is one of the best tasting fish you can catch out there.
    Ive never heard of anyone having great success on any of the Hawaiian islands but I assume some do. If you charter a boat plan for an expensive boat ride and if you are lucky possibly a fish.
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

Post Thanks / Like

Did a Maui charter once - never again. 1 fish (ono) for 6 fisherman after 8 hours of rough seas (1 hour ride out to the bait bouy; 1 hour back). The lucky SOB got to keep his catch though. Another boat got 1 that day as well for 6 people (mahi mahi).

I don't get sea sick easily but I almost did out there.

I'd save your dough for another adventure on the island personally (and I'll be there in 2 weeks).

Post Thanks / Like

I know multiple guys that have chartered boats in Maui and they all said the samething as above. Not a lot of action for the cost and the boat keeps the fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by [IMG2
    [/IMG2]Yaker;1140674]I have yet to hear a positive review of people who have done a Maui fishing charter. Common themes are over-priced, not many fish being caught, the captain keeping your catch and poor customer services. The money you save will get you a nice trip out of Long Beach or San Diego.
    Thanks, sounds like I need to re think the charter idea...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast