Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dang sea lions

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dang sea lions

Quote Originally Posted by QueenAnnesRevenge View Post
    Sea lions also; migrated, were hunted, died on beaches when there were food shortages. You can't argue "natural order" when one species is protected and enhanced.
    Also- pinniped impact to salmon population is a very real thing, nmfs wouldn't study it and measure it If it wasn't

A quote- ". Sacramento River winter chinook have been listed as endangered under the ESA. Papermill Creek, San Leandro River, Alameda Creek, and Sacramento River winter steelhead have been classified by the State as having a high risk of extinction and are of special concern for pinniped predation impacts"

A link https://www.nwfsc.noaa.gov/publicati...8/areas.htm#ca

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    They’re high risk because of human interference. Not because of natural predation. Where do you expect them to get their food? If you’re really gonna blame sea lions than stripers are more to blame than 2-3 sea lions in a river system. Ask the commercial industry to stop netting entire schools. Maybe sea lions will stop coming up river.
    Last edited by jjb; 01-03-2018 at 07:25 PM.

2. Likes phoenix, Spinner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by QueenAnnesRevenge View Post
    Sea lions also; migrated, were hunted, died on beaches when there were food shortages. You can't argue "natural order" when one species is protected and enhanced.
    Also- pinniped impact to salmon population is a very real thing, nmfs wouldn't study it and measure it If it wasn't

A quote- ". Sacramento River winter chinook have been listed as endangered under the ESA. Papermill Creek, San Leandro River, Alameda Creek, and Sacramento River winter steelhead have been classified by the State as having a high risk of extinction and are of special concern for pinniped predation impacts"

Totally agree.....but man's intervention IS the problem ....not the animal.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

4. Likes Spinner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Saw the furbags at Gristmill earlier this morning tossing around a sucker fish, at least I think it was a sucker fish. No joke, those f’ers are big. Definitely the biggest I’ve seen on the AR to date.

Senior Member QueenAnnesRevenge's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by maulich View Post
    Sea lions we're around eating steelhead and salmon way before you were. To say they are the reason runs are lacking is nonsense........

7. Likes IronClad liked this post
    SET THE HOOK!!!!!!!
    Post Thanks / Like

Mother nature on Mother nature is as should be!!! WE caused the dive! Yes water diversion is the biggest problem!

Post Thanks / Like

Sea lions we're around eating steelhead and salmon way before you were. To say they are the reason runs are lacking is nonsense........

10. Likes Spinner, dsa2780, gb steel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by flyer5 View Post
    Cal used to let fishermen shoot sea lions way back . In fact as soon as they started protecting the things the numbers of returning salmon/steelhead took a big nose dive.

I hate the damn things personally, almost as much as I hate cats , they eat huge numbers of salmonids, and they sit at the river mouths, but no, bleeding heart cal weenies like to pretend you can have it both ways.

Pretty sure the salmon dive is due to dams.

12. Likes Spinner, gb steel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cal used to let fishermen shoot sea lions way back . In fact as soon as they started protecting the things the numbers of returning salmon/steelhead took a big nose dive.

I hate the damn things personally, almost as much as I hate cats , they eat huge numbers of salmonids, and they sit at the river mouths, but no, bleeding heart cal weenies like to pretend you can have it both ways.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jjb View Post
    Saw a huge sea lion up at Hancil Hoffman today.
    Why didn't you shoot it?

15. Likes Salmonhead#1, Troutbead liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Saw a pretty good size sea lion up The Chetco 12/31/17.
    i was amazed to see it up in skinny water.

17. Likes LURKER916, Steve_M liked this post
    Dislikes Steve_M disliked this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast