Post Thanks / Like

Re: Big Baits for Big Ling

Bars over jigs for me. I like how much less drag it has than the swim baits and grubs. Both work well no doubt about it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes LURKER916 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have had some really good luck with those large grubs. I remember a trip on a local party boat where this old timer who was a regular on the boat looked at my grubs and laughed. He thought I was wasting my time using them. On our first drift I landed 3 lings between 10-20lbs while every one else was getting blanked. Needless to say he was quick to swallow his pride, and asked if he could try one. Passed out my last two to two other dudes on the boat who had never been rock fishing before. The 4 of us landed 12 lings, the boat total was 18. The old timer was very gracious, and made the comment "you can teach an old dog new tricks".

My other favorite low effort bait (ie minimal work involved) is either a smaller size mackerel (say 8 inches to 10 inches) or a small yellowtail rock fish. Lings just love them.

Good luck!

Gerry

4. Likes Yaker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've had good success with 9oz octopus jigs from Amazon. I replace the hooks and tip with squid.

0906151940a-1.jpg
    0821161239.jpg

6. Likes RideNfish liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bars work well... But on party boats they may require you to use 16 to 24 oz weights to prevent line tangles, so try whole squid on shrimp fly. When not on party boats I've had success with, BIG swimbaits, whole squid, sardines... they all work

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

8. Likes Yaker, dilbeck liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Really depends on the drift to me. I prefer the swimbait bcuz its less work. But they dont do well when the drift is fast since they are harder to keep down at 200ft. Thats when the bars come out, but u really have to work them

Good stuff, when's the season open back up?

Post Thanks / Like

I havent really had much luck with big plastic baits for lings but I know bars can kill them. I also know guys that kick but with big plastic baits so maybe it is the user not the bait....

Post Thanks / Like

Big Baits for Big Ling

1.5 lbs jig heads with 9 inch grubs! Im ready for some Farallon action.