Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shopping for a new rod

Ill be shopping the ISE this weekend for a new toy. At least I will be able to play with just about every brand out there and then might go find a used one someplace. Thanks for the thoughts and info

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TexWalker View Post
    Look at Echo. Tim Rajeff is one of the bet fly casters and fly rod engineers in the world and makes an awesome rod for way less money than you think it should be! It may not have the fit and finish as a high end Sage but who needs flor grade cork when the carbon flags and scrim actually make the difference in a rod.
    Not sure Sage even uses Flor cork anymore........ Flor is difficult to come by.....

In any event, Echo 3 or Echo Ion XL are made in 10' length for a #6 or #7. Find one used to save even more money...... The Echo 3 new is priced at about what you may find a used Sage Z Axis.......

Echo glass rods are cool.

Post Thanks / Like

Look at Echo. Tim Rajeff is one of the bet fly casters and fly rod engineers in the world and makes an awesome rod for way less money than you think it should be! It may not have the fit and finish as a high end Sage but who needs flor grade cork when the carbon flags and scrim actually make the difference in a rod.

4. Likes IronClad liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You got first step out of the way....... choosing single vs. switch/spey.

You will do best by going with 9'-6" or 10'. IMO, the new materials have allowed much better longer fly rods to be designed and constructed. The Sage Z-Axis was the first generation of very good 10 foot single hand rods. They're hard to find on the used market (10 footers or even 9'6" for that matter)

If you're good with 9'-6", try and find a used Sage XP 796-4. Again, hard to find. Maybe someone giving up single handed fishing for Switch/Spey will sell you his 796-4.

The good thing about the 796-4 is that it's versatile for the A, meaning you'll be able to fish it in most flows that are perceived as fishable. Not always the case with the #6.

Your choices for a 796 are fewer with TFO BVK being an alternative to Sage, et. al. However, it may feel tip heavy when compared to a rod made with a higher generation of materials and price point.

Find a used Sage 796-4 XP or Z Axis and don't look back! Be patient because the XP and Z Axis are 10-20 years old. (Replaced by the One and X)

Also, spend 90% of your budget on the rod. The reel is a line holder in most fishing situations in CA.
    Last edited by OceanSunfish; 01-11-2018 at 07:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have spent some time with a Spey rod and really doesnt float my boat. I like the more traditional stuff ( if you want to call it that). I have caught steelies on my 6 weight and really want something that I can sort of horse then in because I am 100% C&R when it comes to steelies. Caught 100s if not 1000 of shad on my 6 weight to but when they get in the current I want something with a little more back bone

Post Thanks / Like

Shopping for a new rod

It has been awhile since I have been in the market for a fly rod. I was getting pretty active in fly fishing in the early 2000s and have a 4 and 6 weight rod. Both St Croix. I want to get a new 7 weight to chase steelies in the AMerican this season. Without breaking the bank what are some good brands to look at? I would like to keep the setup under $500 for a rod and reel. Back in the day I really liked the TFO rods but now they have a lot more series then they used to.

So I need some help. Heading to Keines next week to take a look at a few. I love the action of Winston rods but dont want to take out a 2nd mortgage on my house to go fishing.